Home Depot Home Water Test Story

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was at home depot a few weeks ago and as i was walking out they had these bags saying free water test. Well i took one, thinking why not its free lol. Yes i know this was dumb now.

Well after filling up the sample vials and mailing in i began to get phone calls to schedule my at home water test. After ignoring the voice mails i finally relented and scheduled.

The experience of this “water test”.

At the scheduled date and time the water tester arrived at my house. Two hard shell cases in tow. Explains what he will be doing today, asks about the taste of the water and the skin feel after taking a shower. Next opens the cases. One contains a collection of regents, vials etc. The other contains what resembled a media reactor filled with carbon and some other media.

First test he preforms is a nitrate test, inaccurately both the control(media reactor filtered) and the tap water received differing amounts of regent because of poor testing procedures. Gives me both numbers, tap water no where near the federal limit(10mg/l), starts discussing the dangers of high levels of nitrate(already losing faith in this visit)

Next test is a ph test. I already knew this figure i use a mixture of ro/di and tap water and ro right to maintain a planted aquarium at ~6.

Gives me my ph number starts explaining some hocus pocus on drinking water ph(your bodies equilibrium takes seconds as long as the ph is in a safe range). Take a bathroom break, test my bathroom tap water with my hobby test kits, to see how badly hes doing the next useless set of tests.

The third test is a General Hardness test. Begins by asking whats the best bottled water. Tbh i try to avoid plastic if i can and if need to buy a bottle of water i buy a glass bottle. Give my answer states its WRONG. The best water is this alkaline water brand. Really wanting to just kick him out now.
Preforms the test, my water of course fails miserably.
The last test is a calcium test, explains this is why you get dry skin after a shower. My water again fails against the control.

Now for those still reading begins to explain his water filter. Its carbon and a special media for removing the contamination from things like calcium. The light bulb goes off, 1.5 hours of my life went to a water softener sales pitch. Begins to want to say a quote, respond thats ok i dont want one. Which e actually stopped and started wrapping up took out a brochure and then began the process of a gift card to home depot.
I got a $100 home depot gift card for the torture of this visit. So i guess it wasn’t all bad and he was polite i guess. But i wont be doing this again lol.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LifeProTip:

If they say it's free it is anything but.

If they offer you a "free" 3 day trip to wherever, you won't arrive until 11:59pm on day 1, you'll be at a "short" presentation from 8am until 4pm after which the entire place will have shut down for the night, and your flight out on day 3 leaves at 2am.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You had a way better experience than I had. I was approached in home depot by them claiming free water test in fact they give me a hd gift card afterwards for $100 so I figured why not. They show up and do the same crap tests that come back my water is terrible. Then ask what brand of water I drink I said zephyrhills since I had a bottle in my fridge that said zephyrhills on it. Oh he tested that and showed me how crap that water is and that it even has loads of chlorine in it. I laughed and said thats just I bottle I fill with the RO unit under my sink. He then proceeds to show me and my then wife all these water systems most were about 10 grand. I tell him that I am not interested at this time and then he starts telling me well if you dont want to pay that much just make a couple payments and then call them and tell them I dont want it and the will give it to me since they dont want to take it back. I tell him no that ok and he just keeps going and going and going. I finally walk away to get my phone so I can call company he works for to ask them to get him out of my house and of course I am on hold so when I return he has my wife in tears telling her how bad people we are to even consider giving this poison to our kids. At that point I had enough and picked up a 45 walked up to him and said you has 2 options either get the hell out my house or he will wish he picked option one. He then left and needless to say I never got that $100 gift certificate.

Nate77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang these jackwagons are everywhere , haven't seen them at the home depots around here yet , wife got pulled into an electric switch.

OP
OP
Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldnt be so bad if what they werent peddling with false information a product very few people actually need.
Its one thing to say solar will save you money and its only $5 a year. Quite another to make homeowners believe their drinking water is unsafe to drink or bathe in. Its like those commercials stating the maximum ppb of lead in water, the the actor being “wait theres lead”

@bobman if that was my experience i would have called the BBB.

Btw taste wise i found alkaline water kinda disappointing [emoji23]

Back