OP
OP
ScubaSnacks

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barrier Reef has some sort of qt/conditioning type setup going on but I’m not 100% sure exactly what they do. I remember asking about it but it’s been a while and I can’t remember the details. I’d give them a call and ask first since you’re pretty far away to just drop by.
I have purchased 4 fish from Barrier Reef, 3 Chalk Basslets and a Royal Gramma. The Gramma and one of the Chalk basslets are doing great. The other two Chalk Basslets died but I don’t believe it was from a disease in either case. I think there was some basslet on basslet violence, kinda similar to green chromis, and that there can be “only one”. None ever showed any signs of distress, they just disappeared.
I have also purchased fish from Saltwater City. They do a hypo salinity thing there where they take the fish down quick and bring them back up quick. I don’t know if that does much but my Tomini Tang, Orange Back Fairy Wrasse, and the two mutant clowns all came from there and all have done great.
I would but with confidence from either place.
Full disclosure, I’ve never quarantined a fish. I’ve never had the room to set up a qt tank. I may do observational qt in the future if I can get a tank to hold a stable temp in the garage. It’s pretty cold out there. I’ve been lucky not to get a fish with something difficult to deal with. No tank wipeouts so far. I know ich is in my tank but I have not seen more than a few scattered spots on the clowns and none in a really long time. I was worried during my tank move in June but other than the zebra barred dartfish freaking out and dying a couple of days later I had no losses and no signs of ich or anything else. I keep my fish pretty well fed so that they are strong enough to fend off ich. I have no illusions that will continue if I import a fish with something worse.
Whatever you buy, if you can qt it, you probably should but you have to be disciplined and do it with everything wet that goes in the tank or else it’s ineffective. I’ve never been that disciplined.

I'm following a thread right now about if QT is worth it, and it's clearly a divisive topic. While I have room and a tank for QT, I'm severely lacking in time. To your point, I think by default that would mean a high likelihood of my QT being ineffective.

I think the best options that would likely fit my availability is either the BRS 80/20 or just a 2 week observational QT. Given my newness to the hobby, the prior is probably best - not sure I could spot disease if it were there.

Speaking of spotting things; I've found two hitchhikers from the corals. The first was an aiptasia on one of the zoa frags. I found it when epoxying in place this morning after Gail the urchin knocked it off last night . That is now covered by glob of CA. I'm currently monitoring the spot to see if it comes back out. The second hitchhiker is hydroid jelly's. I've heard mixed reviews on those so I'll suck as many as I can out tomorrow during water change and hope they go away as the tank matures.

Never a dull moment.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following a thread right now about if QT is worth it, and it's clearly a divisive topic. While I have room and a tank for QT, I'm severely lacking in time. To your point, I think by default that would mean a high likelihood of my QT being ineffective.

I think the best options that would likely fit my availability is either the BRS 80/20 or just a 2 week observational QT. Given my newness to the hobby, the prior is probably best - not sure I could spot disease if it were there.

Speaking of spotting things; I've found two hitchhikers from the corals. The first was an aiptasia on one of the zoa frags. I found it when epoxying in place this morning after Gail the urchin knocked it off last night . That is now covered by glob of CA. I'm currently monitoring the spot to see if it comes back out. The second hitchhiker is hydroid jelly's. I've heard mixed reviews on those so I'll suck as many as I can out tomorrow during water change and hope they go away as the tank matures.

Never a dull moment.
Use more CA than you think you’ll need. Aiptasia is resourceful. My Aiptasia Eating Filefish from Biota took out a huge population of small ones in my tank. I still have at least 3 larger ones that it won’t touch. No new ones ever pop up so I just leave them alone.

I’m not familiar with the BRS 80/20 method. Best advice I can give you is to pick a method and stick to it if you can. QT is not easy if you don’t have the space or much free time.

OP
OP
ScubaSnacks

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to do something to cheer myself up after the royal gramma disappointment so I decided to get my urchin some accessories. Check out Tanis' (yes we changed the name) new crown.

PXL_20221127_195219861.jpg

It also has an orange traffic cone that I hope gets picked up eventually.

Also, I ordered six more corals from @RiptideAquaculture on their Black Friday sale:

Green branching hammer
Toadstool leather
Green Trumpet
JF Enchanted Forest Birdsnest
RTA Calypso Zoa
WWC Bob Marley Zoa

On the frustrating side, I'm battling some sort of hair or filamentous bacteria infestation. It grows long fine strands that are clear/greenish in color. I have brushed and pulled every day for the last two weeks and it isn't letting up. I'm feeding only 1/4 of a brine cube daily, and some nori for the urchin every few days, skimmer running on the wet side and UV going so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I bought some Reef Flux, but thinking that is my last option. Maybe I'll try H2O2 first? Any ideas?

PXL_20221127_195049288.jpg

We're going to Japan for a week starting Thursday, but this time my brother is staying at the house and will be watching the tank. I've given him detailed instructions and will be doing a walkthrough before we leave. No repeats of last trip hopefully, but at least I have a bubbler this time.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to do something to cheer myself up after the royal gramma disappointment so I decided to get my urchin some accessories. Check out Tanis' (yes we changed the name) new crown.

PXL_20221127_195219861.jpg

It also has an orange traffic cone that I hope gets picked up eventually.

Also, I ordered six more corals from @RiptideAquaculture on their Black Friday sale:

Green branching hammer
Toadstool leather
Green Trumpet
JF Enchanted Forest Birdsnest
RTA Calypso Zoa
WWC Bob Marley Zoa

On the frustrating side, I'm battling some sort of hair or filamentous bacteria infestation. It grows long fine strands that are clear/greenish in color. I have brushed and pulled every day for the last two weeks and it isn't letting up. I'm feeding only 1/4 of a brine cube daily, and some nori for the urchin every few days, skimmer running on the wet side and UV going so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I bought some Reef Flux, but thinking that is my last option. Maybe I'll try H2O2 first? Any ideas?

PXL_20221127_195049288.jpg

We're going to Japan for a week starting Thursday, but this time my brother is staying at the house and will be watching the tank. I've given him detailed instructions and will be doing a walkthrough before we leave. No repeats of last trip hopefully, but at least I have a bubbler this time.
Where in Japan are you going? My son is stationed over there.
Save some real estate in there if you’d like some more Zoas. Once I get my garage squared away I can fire up a frag tank and clean out my display. There will be many Zoas needing a new home.

OP
OP
ScubaSnacks

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in Japan are you going? My son is stationed over there.
Save some real estate in there if you’d like some more Zoas. Once I get my garage squared away I can fire up a frag tank and clean out my display. There will be many Zoas needing a new home.

We're going to Tokyo and Sendai - a number of my in-laws are there. We haven't been able to visit since pre-COVID due to the visa restrictions that were put in place, so we're pretty excited to get back.

Saving real estate won't be an issue for a while. It will be a while before I start running out of space. I'll happily take some zoas off your hands. Thank you for the offer!

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're going to Tokyo and Sendai - a number of my in-laws are there. We haven't been able to visit since pre-COVID due to the visa restrictions that were put in place, so we're pretty excited to get back.

Saving real estate won't be an issue for a while. It will be a while before I start running out of space. I'll happily take some zoas off your hands. Thank you for the offer!
Sounds like a fun trip. We’ve been thinking about going over there before his deployment ends which is likely another 2 years. He’s over 500 miles from Tokyo though so that might be a little tough. Have a great time.

OP
OP
ScubaSnacks

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Coral Rx isn't a cure-all. I'm guessing one of the frags that had planaria which it did kill also had planaria eggs which it didn't. Pulled off 3 of these guys from the rock work so far but haven't seen more. Flatworm eXit time?

1669752469525.png

OP
OP
ScubaSnacks

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok first, after the hitchhikers that survived coral Rx including the aptasia, hydroid jellyfish, and now planaria, I'm not feeling great about my Seattle Corals experience, despite the sale prices. I think I'm going to try saltwater city next. It appears they have pre-quarantined fish, and some gorgeous corals.

I'm rethinking my stocking list and I need to save room for utilitarian livestock.

First, CUC needs to be increased. Last time I bought a 25 gap CUC from reef cleaners (hermits and snails only). I'm going to add another 25g package with mithrax, a tiger conch to stir the sand, two Mexican turbos for the hair algae, and an arrow crab for the planaria.

Fish list is changing, too:
Mocha Clown pair
Midas Blenny
Springeri Damselfish - planaria eater
Royal Gramma
Longnose Hawkfish
(Tentative) File Fish - aptasia eater

It will likely be in that order or with RG and Midas swapped.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok first, after the hitchhikers that survived coral Rx including the aptasia, hydroid jellyfish, and now planaria, I'm not feeling great about my Seattle Corals experience, despite the sale prices. I think I'm going to try saltwater city next. It appears they have pre-quarantined fish, and some gorgeous corals.

I'm rethinking my stocking list and I need to save room for utilitarian livestock.

First, CUC needs to be increased. Last time I bought a 25 gap CUC from reef cleaners (hermits and snails only). I'm going to add another 25g package with mithrax, a tiger conch to stir the sand, two Mexican turbos for the hair algae, and an arrow crab for the planaria.

Mocha Clown pair
Midas Blenny
Royal Gramma
Longnose Hawkfish

Looks like a good plan. Seattle Corals has always given me wrong vibes, I just don’t like it there. SWC and Barrier Reef are much better places in my opinion. I think you’ll be happier with either place.

BBarry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mocha Clown pair
Midas Blenny
Royal Gramma
Longnose Hawkfish

So far my tank has:
2 Black Darwin Clowns
1 Fire Fish
1 Tailspot Blenny
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 High Fin Banded Goby
1 Cleaner Shrimp

Was worried about the two Gobys, but they don't really pay each other any attention. If it becomes an issue, I'll pull one and put it in the 20 long frag tank and get him a shrimp buddy.

I'm adding a Springeri and Yellow Coris Wrasse because they both look good and eat pests.

After that I'm trying to decide if I want to go with the Hawkfish / Royal Gramma combo you mentioned or if I want to get some cardinals...

OP
OP
ScubaSnacks

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far my tank has:
2 Black Darwin Clowns
1 Fire Fish
1 Tailspot Blenny
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 High Fin Banded Goby
1 Cleaner Shrimp

Was worried about the two Gobys, but they don't really pay each other any attention. If it becomes an issue, I'll pull one and put it in the 20 long frag tank and get him a shrimp buddy.

I'm adding a Springeri and Yellow Coris Wrasse because they both look good and eat pests.

After that I'm trying to decide if I want to go with the Hawkfish / Royal Gramma combo you mentioned or if I want to get some cardinals...

I like this stocking list, although looks like a pretty high bioload from what I've read. You'll have to move the cleaner if you go Longnose Hawkfish as the cleaner won't have a chance.

I like the YCW addition. I don't know how that one slipped me. Looks like exactly what I need.

My stocking list changes by the day, but here's the latest.

Mocha Clown pair
Springeri Damsel
Royal Gramma
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Midas Blenny
Longnose Hawkfish
Diamond Goby (once the sandbed is established)

OP
OP
ScubaSnacks

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back from Japan, everything is still alive except for the Zoa frag that had the aptasia and had gotten munched on by the Urchin before I left. It wasn't unexpected. My brother did a great job taking care of the tank except for picking at the hair algae (he complained that I had crappy tongs lol).

@TheWB you'll have to go visit your son. It had been 6 years since the last time I went and I was reminded how much I love it there.

I saw the algae on my webcam so I picked up some hemostats that are a lot better. I spent the better part of Friday pulling algae from the main structure and scrubbing the rest of the rocks outside the tank. I started dosing 4mL peroxide at lights off.. this is phase one of the GHA treatment I'll escalate to vibrant and again to Reef Flux as required.

I also picked up an emerald crab (Stewart) that apparently loves this hair algae and has been picking at it all evening.

Saltwater City has already QTed fish and they're expected to have Springer Damsels next week. Hopefully it fancies flatworms as I've pulled another dozen or so this weekend. Looking forward to @RiptideAquaculture shipment this week and hopefully sone more fish soon.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back from Japan, everything is still alive except for the Zoa frag that had the aptasia and had gotten munched on by the Urchin before I left. It wasn't unexpected. My brother did a great job taking care of the tank except for picking at the hair algae (he complained that I had crappy tongs lol).

@TheWB you'll have to go visit your son. It had been 6 years since the last time I went and I was reminded how much I love it there.

I saw the algae on my webcam so I picked up some hemostats that are a lot better. I spent the better part of Friday pulling algae from the main structure and scrubbing the rest of the rocks outside the tank. I started dosing 4mL peroxide at lights off.. this is phase one of the GHA treatment I'll escalate to vibrant and again to Reef Flux as required.

I also picked up an emerald crab (Stewart) that apparently loves this hair algae and has been picking at it all evening.

Saltwater City has already QTed fish and they're expected to have Springer Damsels next week. Hopefully it fancies flatworms as I've pulled another dozen or so this weekend. Looking forward to @RiptideAquaculture shipment this week and hopefully sone more fish soon.
Glad to hear you made it back and had a great time.
I think you will be much happier with SWC than you were with SC.
What other clean up crew do you have for the GHA? I try to go with removal and natural predation wherever possible when a lot of algae is present. I woudn't recommed using Vibrant, theres a lot of controversy with that product that I'm not sure has been resolved. Theres a thread on it in here somewhere if you want to try and find it. I've used Reef Flux or Flux RX, one of the two and it works, but I only used it as a last resort. Before using chemicals I would try to get some cleaners that will eat the GHA. A lot of times it burns itself out anyway and your tank is still pretty new.

BBarry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this stocking list, although looks like a pretty high bioload from what I've read. You'll have to move the cleaner if you go Longnose Hawkfish as the cleaner won't have a chance.

I like the YCW addition. I don't know how that one slipped me. Looks like exactly what I need.

My stocking list changes by the day, but here's the latest.

Mocha Clown pair
Springeri Damsel
Royal Gramma
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Midas Blenny
Longnose Hawkfish
Diamond Goby (once the sandbed is established)
Thanks. I went with three PJ Cardinals instead of the hawk / Gramma. So the tank is officially 'done' as far as stocking ( minus any clean up crew that needs to be restocked down the road))

OP
OP
ScubaSnacks

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear you made it back and had a great time.
I think you will be much happier with SWC than you were with SC.
What other clean up crew do you have for the GHA? I try to go with removal and natural predation wherever possible when a lot of algae is present. I woudn't recommed using Vibrant, theres a lot of controversy with that product that I'm not sure has been resolved. Theres a thread on it in here somewhere if you want to try and find it. I've used Reef Flux or Flux RX, one of the two and it works, but I only used it as a last resort. Before using chemicals I would try to get some cleaners that will eat the GHA. A lot of times it burns itself out anyway and your tank is still pretty new.

Vibrant will probably be my last resort. I've read a few threads here. Major concerns appear to be the lack of ingredient list and someone did an assay on it and it probably has an algicide in it... When I got back from Japan it looked really bad and I felt a bit hopeless. I've gotten back on track by making friends with my toothbrush and hemostats. I'm still dosing peroxide and it seems to be helping. After 10 days, I'll reassess my situation.

As for cleanup crew -

30+ Dwarf Ceriths
7 Nassarius
8 Florida Ceriths
8 Nerites
6 Assorted Hermits
1 Emerald Crab
1 Pincushion Urchin

I've noticed the dwarf ceriths have been able to keep the lower left hand side of the tank under control, but not higher on the rocks and not the left hand side. I'm pretty sure I dumped them all on the left, so I plan on doubling down on the Dwarf Ceriths, Florida Ceriths, Hermits, and Emerald once ReefCleaners is shipping free again. The urchin doesn't touch the GHA... I've had to feed nori to keep it happy. The emerald on the other hand is just plucking away. I might add a few turbos as I've heard they like GHA. Until then, pluck, brush, repeat. If it gets beyond my ability to keep up and it starts choking out the corals... fluconazole.

OP
OP
ScubaSnacks

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enough doom and gloom, my @RiptideAquaculture order arrived today and I am EXTREMELY happy.

_MG_8318.jpg

Everything arrived in very good condition, even the birdsnest. After a few hours in the tank, all polyps are out. Very little came off the frags this time with the coral dip - pods, a little algae, and no visible worms, aptasia, nor asterina. Definitely going to consider them for future coral purchases. A++.

OP
OP
ScubaSnacks

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things went pretty well this week, minus a little damage I caused my Pink Hammer while vacuuming the live rock. Pump was sad and I left the business end free floating while infixed it, and the business end met the hammer. It resceeded on the left side, but has been coming back more and more daily. I'm thinking its fine and I just need to give it time.

SWC doesn't have Springer Damsels or YCW out of qt yet so still on hold for livestock until their next batch. I've been removing the few flatworms I see daily until I can get predators. It seems to be helping.

I'm going to have to take a pic of the new hammer tomorrow because it's incredible.

Got a bunch of new test kits in... All red sea reef. Calcium is a bit on the low side at 380 and same with alkalinity at 7.8. With all the crap I've put in the water column, i figured my ATO might be overcompensating for the flow restriction. Looks like salinity has dropped to be 1.024. I have a water change tomorrow so I'll aim a little high. If I'm still low, I have some All For Reef to start dosing.

Ordered more CUC for the GHA. I'm going to stop peroxide one that comes in. @reefcleaners 25g all algae, tiger conch, 2 x turbos, and 2 x ninja stars. Hopefully this will help get the aquarium shiny again.

Nitrates are still testing undetectable and phosphates are .01 ppm. I know the GHA is pulling everything down, but I think I'm low on bioload. Hopefully SWC gets some fish in soon.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enough doom and gloom, my @RiptideAquaculture order arrived today and I am EXTREMELY happy.

_MG_8318.jpg

Everything arrived in very good condition, even the birdsnest. After a few hours in the tank, all polyps are out. Very little came off the frags this time with the coral dip - pods, a little algae, and no visible worms, aptasia, nor asterina. Definitely going to consider them for future coral purchases. A++.
Coral looks good on that stand!!

OP
OP
ScubaSnacks

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSLR does a lot better job at taking pictures than my phone.

_MG_8326.jpg

Shoresy is gaining a bit more confidence this morning using the caves and internal passages in the rock just how I'd imagine a fish to use it. He came out during feeding and ate well. The clowns have seen him and so far just ignoring him. I hope that continues to be the case. So far so good.

Back