Home Office Centerpiece - Waterbox Marine X 60.2 Build

FrontRangeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R family! I made this thread so I could document and share the struggles and successes of a newbie in setting up a new reef tank. I’ve had lots of smaller freshwater tanks in the past, but was completely naive to saltwater builds. In advance of closing on my new house in November 2020, I decided that I needed a tank as the cornerstone of my home office. After being advised by some more experienced reefer friends and doing several months of research here on R2R, my
LFS and the interwebs, I finally pulled the trigger on a Waterbox Marine X 60.2 with AI HD Prime and the white cabinet. Long story short, I am still waiting on delivery my tank 10 weeks later. Spoke with WB this morning who confirmed that my tank will for sure be shipping the week of Feb 15th...good things come to those who wait! ;)

Anyhow, enough of my long winded backstory...I figure it’s time to move on to the good stuff!

Livestock Plans (Fish/Inverts):
  • 2x Snowflake Clowns (captive bred Amphiprion Ocellaris)
  • 1x Pink Spotted Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp pair
  • 1x Purple Firefish
  • 1x Tailspot Blenny
  • 3x Pajama Cardinals
  • Cleanup Crew
Livestock Plans (Corals/Anemone):
  • Zoanthids
  • Pulsing Xenia GSP (island)
  • Euphyllia (Hammer/Torch)
  • Chalice
  • Rhodactis mushroom
  • Acanstrea
  • Bubble Tip Anenome (entacmaea quadricolor)
Substrate/Reef Structure:
  • Caribsea Liferock Marine X 60.2 bundle
  • Caribsea Arag-Alive Special Grade reef sand (~40 pounds)
Equipment (currently sitting in a huge pile in the corner of my office where my tank will be in a few weeks):
  • Skimmer: Reef Octo Classic 110-INT
  • Return Pump: Nyos Viper 3.0 (2x, one for return and one for UV)
  • ATO: XP Duetto ATO
  • Powerhead: Reef Octo Octo Pulse 2 with Fish of Hex Aquatics Nem Guard v2 (starting with 1, may add 2nd later)
  • Main Heater: JBJ True Temp 300W
  • Secondary Heater: Eheim Jager 200W
  • UV Sterilizer: Coralife 3x 9w (plan on plumbing to/from return sump chamber with second Nyos Viper 3.0)
  • Dosing Pump and Reservoir: Hygger HG93204-P and Marine Color DT45 solution reservoir
  • Jump Guard: Kraken Reef with feed cup (in transit)
  • Electrical: Kasa WiFi powerstrip
As promised, the aforementioned pile of equipment with my two assistants and the corner where the tank will be going:

A833BAB5-0A90-4A69-B7A5-8AEFA662413B.jpeg

Thanks for following and thanks in advance for advice! I will be sure to update regularly as my build progresses! :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
FrontRangeReefer

FrontRangeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Caribsea Liferock bundle finally came in today from Waterbox. I ordered the bundle specifically made for the Marine X 60.2. It came in two separate boxes - one 20 pound box of the original rocks and one 20 pound box of shapes. Created a mockup of the tank out of cardboard and will be taking my time with designing the aquascape. Worked a bit on the base tonight and will focus on adding some height tomorrow. It shouldn’t be too difficult to come up with something unique!

D4D423F4-F643-4559-95AD-1360E385E457.jpeg

E6F77CDB-6704-4E16-86EB-0B2D4676D5E5.jpeg

471DA38B-9E3E-438F-B080-448045067BC5.jpeg

630C8C88-7BE8-444B-9A09-53A1538B3632.jpeg

OP
OP
FrontRangeReefer

FrontRangeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent a little more time on the aquascape today. This is a general idea of what I’d like it to look like, but I think I’d like to add a little more height in the middle. Right now, the plan is to mount the Octo Pulse 2 on the left side of the tank. I don’t think flow will be an issue, but we shall see.
As always, and advice are appreciated!

1DC6A3AB-3F31-46DF-BC65-F61B534BDF9C.jpeg

7819638D-A170-401C-9254-7EDE3F80BA19.jpeg

8FEA5BCA-C9C8-40CB-9E36-2AFCCE2DF509.jpeg

OP
OP
FrontRangeReefer

FrontRangeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, welcome to the reef! Your scape looks neat! It looks like you will have enough space between the rock and glass for water to flow and prevent detritus build up. Good work!

Thanks, Daniel! I’ve learned a lot off lurking here on R2R for a few months. So much helpful information within this forum.

Next step is to get my RODI system installed and build my QT tank. I plan on getting that up and running to QT the two clownfish well before my display tank gets here and cycled.

OP
OP
FrontRangeReefer

FrontRangeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t have any really big updates for today. I did manage to get the Aquatic Life 100 GPD RODI system installed. Install was very easy and the system works flawlessly. Water was tested out at 0 TDS. :)

93734C01-E609-4A22-9CE3-3F96A2F0E375.jpeg

I also got the QT tank up and running. I will be using MicroBacter QuikCycl and Start XLM in the QT just as I will in the display tank when it arrives. Parameters will be tested every few days to ensure that things are progressing correctly.

B79D3119-9A63-426B-B2B8-D9215D831ECB.jpeg

16C6B049-676D-4D3B-BF3E-A4A7CDA68ED3.jpeg

AJJ0501

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will follow this build for sure! I'm contemplating on purchasing a Waterbox myself as well. I'm torn whether to go for the AIO 50.3/65.4 (All-in-One) or the Marine X 60.2/90.3 It will be my first build, but I've been told to go as big as possible for your first tank. Did you consider an AIO? If so, I'm curious as to why you got the Marine X instead of the AIO.

Good luck!

OP
OP
FrontRangeReefer

FrontRangeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will follow this build for sure! I'm contemplating on purchasing a Waterbox myself as well. I'm torn whether to go for the AIO 50.3/65.4 (All-in-One) or the Marine X 60.2/90.3 It will be my first build, but I've been told to go as big as possible for your first tank. Did you consider an AIO? If so, I'm curious as to why you got the Marine X instead of the AIO.

Good luck!

I initially considered going with an AIO (both from WB and other manufacturers), but upon receiving the advice of a few more experienced hobbyists, decided to move forward with the Marine X due to it having a sump. The sump offered me the flexibility and space as I will be installing a full-size Reef Octo protein skimmer, Coralife UV sterilizer, dosing pump/reservoir setup for coral supplements, dual heaters, and ATO. I also like the idea of having most of the mechanicals neatly hidden but easily accessible for maintenance.

The reason I went with the Marine X 60.2 size is because I have a very specific area in the corner of my home office which the tank will be located in. The 24” cube shape of the tank will fit perfectly in that corner, whereas the bigger 90.3 or 110.4 would have had to be placed up against the wall and would take up a lot more space.

According to WB, my tank will be shipping next week and I will be proceeding to set it up and get it cycling immediately. Once I get it cycled, the first inhabitants will be a pair of Snowflake Clownfish which are currently hanging out in my 10 gallon QT tank.

AJJ0501

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understandable! This will be my first reef tank (my first aquarium even), hence the AIO option appeals to me (start with the basics - upgrade gradually). I have researched some skimmers that could be put in one of the back reservoirs (like the Tunze 9004 DC) - even though they might not work as well as a 'sump skimmer'.

I might still go for the Marine X version; I am convinced that a sump offers so many benefits (possibility of a refugium, bigger skimmers, more water volume, more display tank volume, et cetera) which make it the better option - but as a beginner, an AIO might not be such a bad idea either.

Thanks for your reply and I will be looking forward to see how your tank comes along!

biocube40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understandable! This will be my first reef tank (my first aquarium even), hence the AIO option appeals to me (start with the basics - upgrade gradually). I have researched some skimmers that could be put in one of the back reservoirs (like the Tunze 9004 DC) - even though they might not work as well as a 'sump skimmer'.

I might still go for the Marine X version; I am convinced that a sump offers so many benefits (possibility of a refugium, bigger skimmers, more water volume, more display tank volume, et cetera) which make it the better option - but as a beginner, an AIO might not be such a bad idea either.

Thanks for your reply and I will be looking forward to see how your tank comes along!
I was in your shoes several years ago, while first getting into the hobby. Had a 16G all-in-one biocube. That lasted a very short time because of all the things a new hobbiest wants to quickly get into, like you’re saying. Skimmer, etc.

Might as well just get a tank with a sump (at any volume/size tank) on the outset. My two cents.

Don’t be intimidated by a sump. It makes your life easier and not at all complicated.

biocube40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially considered going with an AIO (both from WB and other manufacturers), but upon receiving the advice of a few more experienced hobbyists, decided to move forward with the Marine X due to it having a sump. The sump offered me the flexibility and space as I will be installing a full-size Reef Octo protein skimmer, Coralife UV sterilizer, dosing pump/reservoir setup for coral supplements, dual heaters, and ATO. I also like the idea of having most of the mechanicals neatly hidden but easily accessible for maintenance.

The reason I went with the Marine X 60.2 size is because I have a very specific area in the corner of my home office which the tank will be located in. The 24” cube shape of the tank will fit perfectly in that corner, whereas the bigger 90.3 or 110.4 would have had to be placed up against the wall and would take up a lot more space.

According to WB, my tank will be shipping next week and I will be proceeding to set it up and get it cycling immediately. Once I get it cycled, the first inhabitants will be a pair of Snowflake Clownfish which are currently hanging out in my 10 gallon QT tank.
Mine will be shipping in a couple weeks too!

AJJ0501

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys!

Also, I noticed that I could purchase the AIO 65.4 without a cabinet- saving 650€ (a 50% difference, when considering the no-lighting option). It happens to be that my little brother is a professional cabinet maker. Is there anything special to the WB Cabinet? I noticed that they cut out the back partially. Could one of you guys provide me with some clear photographs of the backside? (or the whole cabinet?). I'd rather not invest 650€ in something my brother makes in 2-3 hours.
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I forgot that you guys had the Marine X versions, but I am still curious as to if there's anything special to the cabinet :)

OP
OP
FrontRangeReefer

FrontRangeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first two eventual inhabitants of the display traveled all the way from Florida to start their extended QT today. A bonded pair of ORA Snowflake Clowns. They are acclimated, healthy and settling into their temporary home until their display tank arrives and is cycled.

A3404D48-EDEF-4C0B-B089-69966FF23D5C.jpeg

B72F45D9-1660-4C7A-8474-156E55301793.jpeg

1173AB66-FE07-46C0-82EF-4AE7A32F4A0C.jpeg

OP
OP
FrontRangeReefer

FrontRangeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys!

Also, I noticed that I could purchase the AIO 65.4 without a cabinet- saving 650€ (a 50% difference, when considering the no-lighting option). It happens to be that my little brother is a professional cabinet maker. Is there anything special to the WB Cabinet? I noticed that they cut out the back partially. Could one of you guys provide me with some clear photographs of the backside? (or the whole cabinet?). I'd rather not invest 650€ in something my brother makes in 2-3 hours.
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I forgot that you guys had the Marine X versions, but I am still curious as to if there's anything special to the cabinet :)

Go check out ajnies’ build thread here - there are excellent pictures of the sump and cabinet to reference:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/finally-fish-waterbox-marine-x-60-2.782614/post-8434862

OP
OP
FrontRangeReefer

FrontRangeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of the other Marine X 60.2 builders on R2R considering using an external ATO reservoir? While I am unsure what evaporation rate is going to be, I’m thinking that the 2.0 gallon ATO chamber in the stock sump won’t last long and will require frequent refills. I work in pharmaceutical research and travel frequently on short notice making automation important. In addition to automation, I also desire to keep a clean aesthetic look. Last night, I was watching BRS’ 52 Weeks of Reefing series and saw them highlight Synergy Reef’s Custom ATO reservoirs. I am thinking about picking up a 10 gallon external ATO reservoir from them:

420338EC-32A4-49C4-845F-4818DB342673.jpeg

Has anyone else used an external ATO reservoir similar to this on their tank?

Side note: Synergy Reef also builds custom sumps, media reactors, and frag racks...look to be uber high quality. Might be worth checking out for more advanced hobbyists looking to up their sump game!

Last edited:

biocube40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of the other Marine X 60.2 builders on R2R considering using an external ATO reservoir? While I am unsure what evaporation rate is going to be, I’m thinking that the 2.0 gallon ATO chamber in the stock sump won’t last long and will require frequent refills. I work in pharmaceutical research and travel frequently on short notice making automation important. In addition to automation, I also desire to keep a clean aesthetic look. Last night, I was watching BRS’ 52 Weeks of Reefing series and saw them highlight Synergy Reef’s Custom ATO reservoirs. I am thinking about picking up a 10 gallon external ATO reservoir from them:

420338EC-32A4-49C4-845F-4818DB342673.jpeg

Has anyone else used an external ATO reservoir similar to this on their tank?

Side note: Synergy Reef also builds custom sumps, media reactors, and frag racks...look to be uber high quality. Might be worth checking out for more advanced hobbyists looking to up their sump game!
That's a good idea; I am trying to keep everything internal. But was going to put something on top of the ATO; we'll see what happens. What do you think the evaporation rate with be? 1/2 gallon per day?

OP
OP
FrontRangeReefer

FrontRangeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea; I am trying to keep everything internal. But was going to put something on top of the ATO; we'll see what happens. What do you think the evaporation rate with be? 1/2 gallon per day?
I think 1/2 gallon per day is a good estimate for a tank with a 36 gallon display and another ~18.5 gallons in the sump. Once I get my tank up and running I will track and report numbers. Keeping everything clean and internal is definitely a priority. Then again, I have recently seen people install various types of reactors in the factory overflow so that may be an option to look into long term. The ATO chamber will be employed for something, just not sure for what, yet.

On another note, I spoke with Chris over at WB yesterday who confirmed that my tank will be shipping out today or tomorrow. Given the weather situation here in the US, I’m still holding out that it’ll be delivered by the end of the week, or first thing next week. Regardless, I’m super excited to finally start my project!

biocube40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 1/2 gallon per day is a good estimate for a tank with a 36 gallon display and another ~18.5 gallons in the sump. Once I get my tank up and running I will track and report numbers. Keeping everything clean and internal is definitely a priority. Then again, I have recently seen people install various types of reactors in the factory overflow so that may be an option to look into long term. The ATO chamber will be employed for something, just not sure for what, yet.

On another note, I spoke with Chris over at WB yesterday who confirmed that my tank will be shipping out today or tomorrow. Given the weather situation here in the US, I’m still holding out that it’ll be delivered by the end of the week, or first thing next week. Regardless, I’m super excited to finally start my project!
Awesome! I just got my email that mine will ship within the next 2-5 business days too. They must have just gotten a new lot of Marine X 60.2... we are probably part of the same one.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back