Home Quarantine for Wholesaler Fish

Sstadler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking at getting a regal angel. None of my LFS order them for in-store stock. My most trusted LFS told me they will order it if i immediately pick up the fish, in the bag, once the order arrives.

I have had great success following humblefish’s qt procedure as far as copper, metro, & prazi. The LFS said said they would order it, walked me through their procedure for when they order from sea dwelling creatures. Their process includes formaldehyde bath, prazi bath, then into copper.

I guess my biggest concern is that Im very comfortable and have had great success with the CP, Metro, Prazi method, is the formaldehyde bath necessary? Is that too much to do? It seems quite harsh for such a delicate fish… or am I just way in over my head as far as my experience level?

thanks in advance

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure as I run copper but I’ll bump this up for more attention

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking at getting a regal angel. None of my LFS order them for in-store stock. My most trusted LFS told me they will order it if i immediately pick up the fish, in the bag, once the order arrives.

I have had great success following humblefish’s qt procedure as far as copper, metro, & prazi. The LFS said said they would order it, walked me through their procedure for when they order from sea dwelling creatures. Their process includes formaldehyde bath, prazi bath, then into copper.

I guess my biggest concern is that Im very comfortable and have had great success with the CP, Metro, Prazi method, is the formaldehyde bath necessary? Is that too much to do? It seems quite harsh for such a delicate fish… or am I just way in over my head as far as my experience level?

thanks in advance

My current quarantine protocol is kept at the first post of this thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/current-quarantine-protocol.825055/

Regal angels are fine to run with that protocol but the BIG caveat is that the hardiness of this species in captivity is wholly dependent on where it was captured. You'll want to ensure you get a yellow belly one, not the gray/blue belly variant. Still, a percentage of these fish just never start to feed in captivity. Personally, I won't buy one unless I see it eat first.

Here is a thread that discusses more about these fish:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/yellow-belly-regal-angel.702048/

Jay Hemdal

Back