Home Remedy for Aiptasia?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Aiptasia problem and have been trying to use Aiptasia X which works when I can get the tip of the syringe in their mouth before they close up but I seem to have a problem getting it right and I don't want to release too much of the stuff into my nano tank because there's no way it can be completely safe for corals and a clam over an extended period of time...also, the aiptasia are growing on my clams shell and I'm afraid some of the poison will go in it's mouth by accident if I try killing some of the smaller anemones near the mantle...I heard lemon juice in the past but haven't tried it...is there anything like this that I can inject the aiptasia with using a needle that would kill it off and also be safe for my corals and clam?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Squirt lemon juice or H2O2 directly into it. That's all I do for aiptasia control.
Just be sure to get the foot too.
Ok, so I did hear right with the lemon juice... peroxide is a good idea too, thanks! Like I said, I just get worried about the wisdom of squirting the Aiptasia-X too close to my clams mantle out of fear it'll get some in it's mouth, not to mention possible buildup in a nano (I do have a good bit of aiptasia ATM)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you considered Berghia Nudibranchs?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered Berghia Nudibranchs?
I have but haven't been able to locate any here (I'm outside the U.S.)...they would probably be my first choice though since I have a few aiptasia starting to pop up in my other tank as well now...I'll keep my eyes open for them though as I'd prefer to go the natural route... I'll probably go with either them or a fish. It's just a shame that they die off after the aiptasia is gone but maybe I can find a friend who has a similar issue when mine are gone

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ok, so I did hear right with the lemon juice... peroxide is a good idea too, thanks! Like I said, I just get worried about the wisdom of squirting the Aiptasia-X too close to my clams mantle out of fear it'll get some in it's mouth, not to mention possible buildup in a nano (I do have a good bit of aiptasia ATM)
can try peppermint shrimp and berg. nudi's!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had peppermint shrimp work for me as well.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think I've heard peppermint shrimp will also go after LPS too though...is that true?
seems more of a "if not kept fed" type of situation. like emerald crabs. could also depend WHERE you get your peppermint shrimp from! i believe @jda has had success with peppermint shrimp but do not recall where it was sourced from.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems more of a "if not kept fed" type of situation. like emerald crabs
Oh ok, well peppermint shrimp are easy for me to get so I might just pick a couple up tomorrow then! Now that I think about it, I can always move them to my friend's fish only tank if they do go after my LPS but they should have plenty to eat anyway

BluTang85

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Best thing for aptasia. Completely ate all my aptasia.

D1BFA57D-97DA-496B-BC8A-8A67EF3ECCA0.jpeg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've only had shrimp try to eat the food the LPS was consuming OR pick at coral that was already decaying.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back