Home Remodel - do I need to move my aquarium out?

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need advice - preferably from those with direct experience.

Background: Home remodel to commences in 2 to 3 months. We live in San Diego.
Summer temperatures are not extreme, but it will rise above 80 degrees from time to time.
We are remodeling our kitchen, bathrooms, and replacing all of our flooring.
We have a Waterbox 7225 peninsula in the garage waiting to be installed.
Our existing 40 gallon reef tank will become our QT/frag/back-up tank once the remodeling is done.

Option 1: Our project manage is willing to split the job and do one side of the house before the other.
This would allow us to leave the 40 gallon tank where it is for phase 1.
Between phase 1 and 2 we would move the tank to its permanent location.
After the tank move our project manage would begin phase 2.

Pros: Tank is kept in a more temperature controlled environment (indoors) and the tank is only moved once.
Cons: Tank will be exposed to dust, fumes from painting, gluing, grout, and chemicals to complete countertop fabrication.
Construction takes longer to complete.

Option 2: Move the 40 gallon tank to a covered patio in our backyard before construction.
Tank would be out of the sun, but only covered. Patio only has one wall where it abuts the house.
Complete the construction. Move the 40 gallon back into our house to its permanent location.

Pros: Tank is not exposed to dust, chemicals, etc. Construction is completed more quickly. (Still about 2 months)
Cons: Tank has to be moved twice and we would have less control of temperature.
Heaters will handle the night time summer temperatures in San Diego.
We would need to buy a chiller to handle the daytimes that rise above 80 degrees.
Most likely I will be buying a chiller anyway for the Waterbox 7225; I could just but it sooner.

Your thoughts?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be too crass and cynical, but how about a livestock list in the current tank? Some animals are tougher than others; some are more expensive or simply irreplaceable. Sometimes the live rock is the most valuable (and durable) life form.

I tend more towards moving outdoors to speed things and owning a chiller for the inevitable. Just more work for you though.

Given this a bit of thought as my wife wants to redo our wood floors. (Sand down and varnish; ugh.)

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way, you're moving the tank and I'd go with option three. That is, buy your best buddy his/her favorite libation, and move your tank to their house! No dust, temperature not an issue, and you have no worries.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way, you're moving the tank and I'd go with option three. That is, buy your best buddy his/her favorite libation, and move your tank to their house! No dust, temperature not an issue, and you have no worries.
Fine point. The best news is a tank of your size is very portable. After the upgrade, not so much.

Upgrade: live rock! live rock! live rock! repeat.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had hardwood floors installed, the glue is very strong. In this case we moved a 80g cube to the kitchen, covered the opening to the kitchen with heavy plastic. This was only 1 1/2 weeks , they had to bring in a machine to chew up the bamboo flooring, it was stuck. Very dusty, very dirty.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm assuming you dont have electric in the garage? otherwise put the 40 there with a window a/c unit

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We remodeled our house a few years ago and it was a dust pit. Dust everywhere even though they put up plastic and did their best to keep it down. Dust finds a way everywhere.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back