Home-study of fish disease/parasites

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you've presented enough reasons to restart antibiotics. If it were me, I'd want a broad spectrum.

+1 He might benefit from 10 days worth of erythromycin. That is a very mild antibiotic which I've found useful for knocking out lingering gram positive infections. (If this were gram negative, he'd be dead by now.)

P. S. Sorry to hear about your car. :(

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, have you been soaking his food with vitamins? That might be the "boost" his immune system needs without requiring further antibiotic treatment.

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I've been soaking vitachem into his food once a day. I don't have erythromycin but I'm going into town tomorrow I can see if any stores have it. If I can't find it what would be the best course of action? I'm thinking either kanaplex or furan-2, but I'm hesitant to do both.

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also would it help to give him a little bit of kanaplex soaked food tonight to get him started?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use both Kanaplex & Furan-2 on him before? Or just one of those?

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used kanaplex, furan-2, and metroplex. Can a bacterial infection develop resistance to medications if used repeatedly?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used kanaplex, furan-2, and metroplex. Can a bacterial infection develop resistance to medications if used repeatedly?

Yes, but it would take a lot more than 10 days before that was a concern. Meaning, you could run the goby through another 10 days of those 3 meds. Since you already have them on hand.

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some Maracyn, says it has erythromycin as an active ingredient. It's just the regular one though, not maracyn two. Would that be a good one to use?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some Maracyn, says it has erythromycin as an active ingredient. It's just the regular one though, not maracyn two. Would that be a good one to use?
IMO, Maracyn may actually be a better choice at this point than Maracyn 2. Odds are that this is a gram positive infection which is what Maracyn is tailored to treat. I think it is normally best to start with Maracyn 2 because the gram negative infections tend to act and kill much more quickly. You are past that point.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, Maracyn may actually be a better choice at this point than Maracyn 2. Odds are that this is a gram positive infection which is what Maracyn is tailored to treat. I think it is normally best to start with Maracyn 2 because the gram negative infections tend to act and kill much more quickly. You are past that point.

+1

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is official! Goby finally has a name :D. He is now dubbed Beryl, since he twinkles like a gem. He is doing very well, fat happy and enjoying life except I think he's starting to get cranky about being stuck in a breeder box, but too bad he has to get well first. The wound has filled in an incredible amount, all that's left is the pin-hole in the center. Beryl hasn't had any regression either since he went through a round of Maracyn, so crossing fingers it stays that way! I can't wait to see this guy fully healed and burrowing in his own tank!
IMG_2824.JPG

IMG_2826.JPG

IMG_2828.JPG
Please excuse the dirt, Beryl poops a lot and it's water change day :oops:.

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I debated on keeping Beryl just because I've fallen in love with his cute little face, but thinking about it more a watchman goby isn't part of my long-term stocking plans so I will be rehoming him.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is official! Goby finally has a name :D. He is now dubbed Beryl, since he twinkles like a gem. He is doing very well, fat happy and enjoying life except I think he's starting to get cranky about being stuck in a breeder box, but too bad he has to get well first. The wound has filled in an incredible amount, all that's left is the pin-hole in the center. Beryl hasn't had any regression either since he went through a round of Maracyn, so crossing fingers it stays that way! I can't wait to see this guy fully healed and burrowing in his own tank!
IMG_2824.JPG

IMG_2826.JPG

IMG_2828.JPG
Please excuse the dirt, Beryl poops a lot and it's water change day :oops:.

Hi. I'm just wondering what your method of doing a water change is? I always have a problem getting all the stuff off the bottom on the tank. Do you use a siphon or vacuum?

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rabbit! Oh how I miss your cute dramatic spiky self! Thank you so much for the picture, that brings a smile to my face right there!

Hi. I'm just wondering what your method of doing a water change is? I always have a problem getting all the stuff off the bottom on the tank. Do you use a siphon or vacuum?

I just use one of the gravel vacs. For bare bottom tanks like a QT I have found it helps to put the vac directly on the glass where you want to clean. It makes the vac suction to the glass and gets off a lot more dirt than just hovering. Of course it does just the one spot though, so you kind have to work your way along.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back