Homemade fish food recipe?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TrickyTangTrainer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For home made fish food, I use fresh scallops, mussels and clams. I add dried krill and nori sheets as well as spirulina powder. Blend it up with some fresh RO water (in a dedicated blender unless you want your better half having ammunition against you...for like ever..) and pop them in a cube tray. The ones above seem pretty neat, but my fish are huge and eat a ton so regular cube trays work for me (once again, dedicated for your food.) I store them in a tupperware container in the freezer and thaw the night before. Fish go crazy for it, and seem fat and happy.

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought those same trays. They are a little bit smaller than half the size of a normal cube of frozen -- which is perfect for me because I usually cut the cubes in half before.

As far as recipe. It depends how lazy I am.

Last batch I made I just used various other frozen food mysis/brine/cyclopeeze/fish egg/reefroids and a few cubes of a combo food. Thawed it, rinsed it, drained most of water and then dumped it into tray.

In the past I have gotten the blender out and mashed up a bunch of stuff -- but as I mentioned, was lazy this last time =)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
YUMMMM!!! (not my pic)

1.jpg

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to your local asian supermarket and check out what they have fresh. You can even find fresh fish eggs (roe) that anthias and such go crazy for. My last batch had nori, clams, octopus, catfish, roe, and mysis in it. Everything loves it!

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
I add these to my homemade mix
Vitachem
Cod liver oil
Brightwell amino
The question is can I add metro+focus or GC + focus to the mix without it causing a problem in my reef ?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
Vitachem
Cod liver oil
Brightwell amino
The question is can I add metro+focus or GC + focus to the mix without it causing a problem in my reef ?

I wouldn't use Metro or GC unless you are seeing white stringy poop (intestinal worms) come out of your fish. And then, I wouldn't mix either with anything else but Seachem Focus.

Steve Elb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
Vitachem
Cod liver oil
Brightwell amino
I was wondering when using fresh seafood if there is any concern of disease being transferred via seafood products. I'm new to this but I'm also a professional chef on the coast and have access to all kinds of seafood. The idea of making my own intrigues me

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering when using fresh seafood if there is any concern of disease being transferred via seafood products. I'm new to this but I'm also a professional chef on the coast and have access to all kinds of seafood. The idea of making my own intrigues me

Freezing should kill any pathogens.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the sea food medley at Whole Foods (~$10) with mussels, clams, shrimp, and abalone. I soak it it RO to remove any preservatives it may have them purée with nori and reef roids. I then spread the slop in the silicon tray and pop out a couple each day. Works great and fish love it! Keep in zip lock bag to avoid freezer burn!
C07A22C1-D663-4190-A824-5F9946D5CEAD.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back