Honestly though, are Radion G5 really better?

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a G2 XR30 pro on a 32" cube for...........well, since they came out over 10 years ago. I'm still growing every coral I want, including any SPS that falls in the tank. A couple years ago I paired it up with one of the Aquatic Life T-5 Hybrid setups and absolutely love it. A buddy of mine has the same light (without the T-5s) with the same results for the same time. His recently started going out so it makes me think I may be on borrowed time with mine. I'm always leery about changing anything that isn't broken and has such a solid history of being one of the go-to lights for home and industry.So my question is this, Am I going to be happy with the new G5 pro version or should I keep an eye out for a couple used g3 or g4 pros. Or should I change to something else altogether (this is not the route that I want to take but with enough real support I'd consider it)? I think I would like to keep the supplemental T5s because I like the way the cover shadowed areas and even everything out.

Added note: Price is not necessarily an issue, I'd much rather pay more for proven quality than save a few dollars for something that will die a year down the road.

Last edited:

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contrary to urban myth and anti LED propaganda LED lights do not wear out. Cheap drivers can go bad and this is typically where you see issues. Unless you unit is getting too hot to touch it could likely outlive your tank.

Biggest difference between the older Radions and newer ones is coverage based on changes in their optic design. Newer Radions provide wider coverage per watt. However, since you already have T5s to fill in the gaps it's less of an issue.

Unless you are running your current one cranked to the max I don't see why you should change things. Each gen of Radion gets cheaper per PAR and your corals won't care. Worst case scenario it takes a couple of days to get a new one.

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contrary to urban myth and anti LED propaganda LED lights do not wear out. Cheap drivers can go bad and this is typically where you see issues. Unless you unit is getting too hot to touch it could likely outlive your tank.
Good point. I am currently running everything pretty high. I was mostly thinking about just adding a little more light, maybe an xr15 to push out to the sides a little bit. I've never had very good par coverage on the outer edges of the tank limiting my placements to the inner rockscape.

RayDRoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from Gen2 xr30 x2 in an aquatic life T5 hybrid to Gen5 xr-15 x2 in the same aquatic life fixture. I can say I'm glad I waited for the 5's they have great PAR spread over my 75 g.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Biggest difference between the older Radions and newer ones is coverage based on changes in their optic design. Newer Radions provide wider coverage per watt. However, since you already have T5s to fill in the gaps it's less of an issue.

Unless you are running your current one cranked to the max I don't see why you should change things. Each gen of Radion gets cheaper per PAR and your corals won't care. Worst case scenario it takes a couple of days to get a new one.
Tullio Dell Aquila have said the average time to change LEDs is 5 years because they start to degrade after 4 years, depending on usage.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a kessil guy. If I were to upgrade it would be to the ap9x or the new 500s that just came out.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are the G5s better than the G2? Yes, they have better features and a better design. Should you run out and change? That depends. Radions are about to see a price increase although I didn't get the exact numbers.

I'd go with 2 15s over 1 30 for better spread if Radions are the choice.

If I were to go back to LEDs (not a chance), it would be Coral Care or Straton at this point.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends how you want to mount them. If you like your lights 9 inches off the water, definitely. If you like to mount them high, then absolutely not. I hang my G3s 2 feet over my frag tanks and 15 inches over my display and its perfect. Plus i can get in my tanks because nothing is in the way. Also the G5s pretty much makes the XR30 almost useless. You are better off for 2 XR15s and you get better spread and minimize shadows. That said, when i replace one of my tanks with a 120, ill be using 3 G5 xr15s

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to treat my radions like I do my IPhones. Upgrade every 3-4 gens or unless I absolutely have to if they break.

in your case you’re showing they still do what you want them to do and that’s grow the corals you want. I enjoy my G5’s but I’ve still got a lot to learn because there’s so many things that can be adjusted

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did an interesting upgrade today. Just put new 3D printed light spill shades on my Ecotech Xr30 G5 Radions and what huge difference they make! Big thanks to @chemisfun11 who designed and printed them. Significantly reduces light spread outside of aquarium and reduces almost all glare when viewing aquarium. The light is now focused into the Aquarium and the colors are popping! Will be noting par changes in the future. (Note - Lights also have diffusers.)

8C694695-B1D0-43FA-AEE3-38B65369E7CC.jpeg

E2F700A1-296D-40F3-A897-A5DEDDD51DDB.jpeg

7685E830-DC3A-4B80-A728-E399C8E4814D.jpeg

Last edited:

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to treat my radions like I do my IPhones. Upgrade every 3-4 gens or unless I absolutely have to if they break.

in your case you’re showing they still do what you want them to do and that’s grow the corals you want. I enjoy my G5’s but I’ve still got a lot to learn because there’s so many things that can be adjusted

If you got the blue, why would you adjust them? Just adjust intensity based on PAR needs and let it go. Regardless if you got the Blue or Pro, AB+ is already programed in Mobius

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got the blue, why would you adjust them? Just adjust intensity based on PAR needs and let it go. Regardless if you got the Blue or Pro, AB+ is already programed in Mobius
I’ve actually got one of each. I don’t mess with much just the amount of white, and the night stuff.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a G2 XR30 pro on a 32" cube for...........well, since they came out over 10 years ago. I'm still growing every coral I want, including any SPS that falls in the tank. A couple years ago I paired it up with one of the Aquatic Life T-5 Hybrid setups and absolutely love it. A buddy of mine has the same light (without the T-5s) with the same results for the same time. His recently started going out so it makes me think I may be on borrowed time with mine. I'm always leery about changing anything that isn't broken and has such a solid history of being one of the go-to lights for home and industry.So my question is this, Am I going to be happy with the new G5 pro version or should I keep an eye out for a couple used g3 or g4 pros. Or should I change to something else altogether (this is not the route that I want to take but with enough real support I'd consider it)? I think I would like to keep the supplemental T5s because I like the way the cover shadowed areas and even everything out.

Added note: Price is not necessarily an issue, I'd much rather pay more for proven quality than save a few dollars for something that will die a year down the road.

When it comes down to support, i dont think you will find better than Ecotech. Besides lasting, they support their products for the long haul. Plus ive had way less issues than with other major lighting brands.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED's have a pretty linear and predictable output decline. But most people aren't running them at 100%. So you can just up the percentage as they age.

For what it's worth I have a buddy growing the ish out of some very high end SPS with G2 Radions.

As some of have mentioned there are products out there now that are a much bigger step change over G5's so those might be worth looking into if you got the itch.

Last edited:

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the G5s better than the G2? Yes, they have better features and a better design. Should you run out and change? That depends. Radions are about to see a price increase although I didn't get the exact numbers.

I'd go with 2 15s over 1 30 for better spread if Radions are the choice.

If I were to go back to LEDs (not a chance), it would be Coral Care or Straton at this point.

So you went back to Halide? What are you going to do when you cant get bulbs anymore? I wouldn't even be having this conversation if i had a lifetime supply of Radiums

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I would wait and get the new Neptune SKY. From what I see it’s going to be a game changer

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I would wait and get the new Neptune SKY. From what I see it’s going to be a game changer

I agree. From what ive seen, it looks like Coral Care meets Radion. The claim it actually covers 2ft of tank without the need for overlap or “fill light”.

My guess is Radion Gen 6 will be around sooner than later, and will be larger and have the diffuser included. Im sure they are already at the drawing board

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So you went back to Halide? What are you going to do when you cant get bulbs anymore? I wouldn't even be having this conversation if i had a lifetime supply of Radiums
Yep went back to halide. They aren't going anywhere. Bulbs aren't hard to find actually. Many companies are seeing halide sales go through the roof.

I spoke with Tullio for over 2 hours about it all. Reef Brite has plenty of bulbs and no plans to stop producing their stuff anytime soon. Hamilton is producing as fast as they can to keep up with demand.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back