"Honey, where did the ---- go?" Shhhhh....

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Household items... the kind your partner probably thinks shouldn't be multi-purposed... so which of them have you, or do you still, use to support your reefing addiction (I mean hobby) without telling them? ;) Whether you've permanently liberated these items or just borrow them and put them back, when no one is looking. Of course I’m not talking about why we all go through 3 times as many paper towels as any other household. More substantial stuff. Stuff we “borrow” cuz it just makes sense.

I’ll go first. Measuring cups, dishes, turkey baster (before I bought my own), knives, forks, spoons, shot glasses, bamboo shish-kabob skewers, tea towels, glitter nail polish (to label my “mix” and “drain” pails, of course), bath towels (had a little mishap using a shop vac in my sump... definitely did not tell her about that), spray bottle (for vinegar and water... “honey, have you seen that spray bottle I was going to use?”), some space in the back of our wine fridge. That feels like a short list. I’m sure there’s more that I just can’t think of, or haven't gotten around to yet.

What about you? I bet there's some pretty novel ideas. Nobody will tell. It’ll be our secret. :rolleyes:
My bf knife for fragging, soufflé cups, measuring cup, marker board, bbq tongs at one point haha straws before the turkey baster, ninja food processor to grind frozen food small,, meat probe thermometer which i still use all the time and love it, used to acclimate with big clear flower vase, fashioned some mini gardening tools too. Hey if it works ‍♀ lol

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok but define "steal" because I mean, I buy stuff for the house too, so I should be entitled to borrow it, right?
And maybe the borrowing MIGHT be permanent, and may possssssibly have inadvertently- through no fault of my own obviously- occurred without the knowledge of other concerned parties but ummmm..
Ok fine. Never mind.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the measuring cups and towels are all nothing anymore after putting live blackworms in the fridge. I’m surprised the worms and I are still alive;)
9646BF7E-C620-4107-8EBD-F52A60139AF2.jpeg
I took the little plastic stick that’s used to open and shut the window blinds off to turn snails over with one day. Wife still has no idea what could have happened to it.

My husband drew the line when I did this. Really? He used to keep bait in the fridge. I now have my very own mini fridge.
He also bought me a bright red colander so when I do water changes I do not suck up small fish thinking it is feeding time.

And I love your idea johniejumbo! That stick is MINE!

Sandra Finnell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good read!! So funny. I use lots of stuff too, but I use lots of long straws. My guy gets a lot of convenience store fountain drinks and I steal the long straws. Using a big syringe, stole from the cattle medical stuff (just say "you lost it last time") I attach the straw and use that to target feed a lot of stuff. Lot easier to regulate the food coming down the tube than with the baster, that I still use sometimes.

hizbaby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O my! Having read this has made me do some self reflection! - Apparently, I'm somewhere between a tyrant and an enabler ... BF would not DARE to appropriate from my sanctuary known as The Kitchen - says he only goes in there to take out trash & make coffee ( the beer fridge is in the garage! ) but we do have all kinds of implements purchased or re-purposed for FISH USE, neatly stored in mounted baskets in the stand ( used up pretty much every spare inch not taken up by sump/fuge equipment mounting plastic $store baskets for said storage ) knows which shelf in the linen closet is dedicated to fish / car wash towels, and say's "hey Honey, do we have anything I can use to / for xyz", which can usually be provided in a nano-second. I don't mind making / storing fish food, in the processor / freezer - he is a trusted ziplock bag sealer!
I can see we now need to re-purpose the dog nail clippers, GREAT TIP! ( and now I can justify getting a nail grinder! ) and (from another post ) add a hamster wheel to the arsenal!
Love this forum, and all y'all who share so much great info!
Thank u one and all!

DJMCB35

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok but define "steal" because I mean, I buy stuff for the house too, so I should be entitled to borrow it, right?
And maybe the borrowing MIGHT be permanent, and may possssssibly have inadvertently- through no fault of my own obviously- occurred without the knowledge of other concerned parties but ummmm..
Ok fine. Never mind.
“Borrowed”, “Liberated”, “Re-purposed to a Higher Calling”.... of course, never “stolen”.

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife lets me use nearly anything from the kitchen I need for my tank .The only thing thats a no no is the freezer for fish food for that I have my own.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the ziplock bags for dip containers.
Skewers for random purposes.
The only thing she complains about is "all the money."
200.gif

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back