Hood vs Eggcrate for quarantine top

ExoS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

I am new to reefkeeping and starting my first tank. I will be reusing an old fresh water 20 gallon tank for a quarantine tank for new fish. Is there any reason to not use the stock hood for this setup? I also have eggcrate that I originally bought before I realized I had the hood. I mainly didn't know if the hood interfered with gas exchange at all.

If it matters, my tank will use a tidal HOB filter and a koralia pump for circulation/gas exchange.

Thanks for the help and recommendations.

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

I am new to reefkeeping and starting my first tank. I will be reusing an old fresh water 20 gallon tank for a quarantine tank for new fish. Is there any reason to not use the stock hood for this setup? I also have eggcrate that I originally bought before I realized I had the hood. I mainly didn't know if the hood interfered with gas exchange at all.

If it matters, my tank will use a tidal HOB filter and a koralia pump for circulation/gas exchange.

Thanks for the help and recommendations.
I can't speak to whether or not to use the hood, but your HOB filter should help aerate the water if that's your primary concern :)

OP
OP
E

ExoS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak to whether or not to use the hood, but your HOB filter should help aerate the water if that's your primary concern :)
Ok Thanks. Yes air exchange is my primary concern because as I understand it some of the medications can drop oxygen levels

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have maybe a piece on the back to take off or does it cover the whole top? A hang on back skimmer would be good for a qt/hospital tank i would think.
Never done 1. The stock light and a simple hang on back filter or in tank filter for sure. Some big.pvc pipe pieces or somewhere for the fish to hide is.good too.
D

TheWalkingCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a newbie also (2 months) and have found that the hood is better if you don't have a ATO and want to keep evaporation down as long as you have some sort of gas exchange. Eggcrate is better because it allows more air flow, but does not mean that the hood is bad. My main has a eggcrate/mesh and my second tank that doesn't have a ATO I used the glass lid.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will warn you some kinds of fish will get through egg crate and still jump. Small jawfish are a good example.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it came with a hood, no problem using it. I'm thrilled to hear that you are quarantining!

OP
OP
E

ExoS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone for replying to my thread. It sounds like most people think the hood will be ok so I am going to try that first. I already have the eggcrate so I have a backup plan on hand if needed

Laddair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the hood that came with the tank. If you want to make sure you have enough gas exchange I would use an airstone.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back