Hoping to ID clownfish cause of death :(

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

My male clown was acting strange for a few days. He wasn't eating as much, was staying relatively close to one spot, and had seemed stressed generally. Female clown has been pretty carefree, and doing her thing.

About a week ago I'd added a few new mollies and he'd been acting a bit off since then, but no super dramatic changes.

Anyways, this morning I woke up and he was no longer visible, which was pretty telling as he had been in the same spot for a few days.

From what I'm reading it sounds like it may be Velvet or Brooke but I'm not quite sure about IDing them.

Water parameters have been good, I moved the aquarium 2 weeks ago, but parameters didn't really fluctuate as I'd ripped the sandbed clean about a month before.

Ph 8.2
Temp 75 (has been lower this week, generally I keep it at 78)
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 10-15
Nitrite 0
Phos .2 or less
Kh 11
Calcium 460

Otherwise, I don't have a QT system - so I realize that leaves it pretty wide open. Just hoping for some insight so I can prevent more loss if possible.

Images below:

MVIMG_20201031_112201.jpg MVIMG_20201031_112206.jpg

OP
OP
nastronaut

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more info:

Clowns have been with me for 2 months now. Up until yesterday they'd both been super active and upbeat.

The male seemed to decline when getting stressed over other fish, who wanted little to do with him (he wasn't being bullied by them, etc).

Here are pictures of the female at present:

MVIMG_20201031_115428.jpg MVIMG_20201031_115427.jpg

OP
OP
nastronaut

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was acting a bit weird, 1-2 days ago, and trying to float vertically next to my Pipefish - at the time I chucked it to clowns acting weird, as he was obviously righting himself, but not so sure now.

Attachments

• VID_20201029_103837.mp4
    21.2 MB
OP
OP
nastronaut

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some notes of what I've been researching and or concluding so far.

Thankfully no other tank mates are displaying dire symptoms so it doesn't seem like Brooke or velvet, haven't ruled out flukes though, keeping an eye out for signs of other parasites.

Notes:

Found the male clownfish dead in the morning. (10/31)

He'd been acting strange for a few days but I didn't suspect an issue with him that would result in death.

Symptoms:
-erratic swimming (clamped fins, not erect)
-mouth constantly opening and closing
-pale face
-biting at zoas and rocks constantly
-generally seemed stressed after adding the new fish (had the two male mollies fighting - wasn't aware I had two males until it was too late (one male has been rehomed, things are more calm))
-for the 29-30th he didn't really move from his spot next to the zoas much atall.

I didn't get a chance to FW dip the male clowns body but am rather certain it wasn't Brooke or velvet, no other tank mates have any symptoms and are all behaving normally.

Haven't completely ruled out flukes, but I couldn't catch the female clown today for her FW dip. (11/1)

11/1 - starting treatment with melafix to help boost everyone's immune system (and to help with my Pipefish who's been fighting off/recovering from tail damage from before I got him) and am in the process of getting my QT tank setup. Plan to be vigilant and look at all the fish poops for any whiteness going forward. Also planning to mix some antibiotics and or antiparasitics with food (per dr. Fish recipes) for use as needed (or atleast have them on hand).

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they just don't make it unfortunately. Not because of sickness or parasites. In my opinion for a lot of Clownfish it can be a product of cross breeding or in breeding with close relatives. Make sure you have a varied diet, and feed often. This ensures a healthy immune system and good nutrition. Hope all the rest of your fish are doing well.

OP
OP
nastronaut

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they just don't make it unfortunately. Not because of sickness or parasites. In my opinion for a lot of Clownfish it can be a product of cross breeding or in breeding with close relatives. Make sure you have a varied diet, and feed often. This ensures a healthy immune system and good nutrition. Hope all the rest of your fish are doing well.
Thanks for the response, thankfully everyone else is carrying on as normal. My only other "issue" is my pipefish with slight tail damage but it's been healing overall.
I keep the diet pretty varied between reef frenzy, baby brine, pods for my pipes, and omega one veggie kept flakes. About to order some garlic flakes or pellets too.

Definitely learning a lot about prevention and treatments. Taking it as a sign to get m QT setup and routine all ironed out (should be mostly functioning end of day tomorrow) and to do my best to make sure no one in the tank currently is hosting anything nasty.

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response, thankfully everyone else is carrying on as normal. My only other "issue" is my pipefish with slight tail damage but it's been healing overall.
I keep the diet pretty varied between reef frenzy, baby brine, pods for my pipes, and omega one veggie kept flakes. About to order some garlic flakes or pellets too.

Definitely learning a lot about prevention and treatments. Taking it as a sign to get m QT routine all ironed out and to do my best to make sure no one in the tank currently is hosting anything nasty.
QT is a good idea. I like the tank transfer method (TTM) for ich, and the less aggressive treatments for other ailments. Hope all goes well. Happy reefing! :)

OP
OP
nastronaut

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT is a good idea. I like the tank transfer method (TTM) for ich, and the less aggressive treatments for other ailments. Hope all goes well. Happy reefing! :)
Thanks, yeah I don't want to go completely overboard with harsh treatments but will definitely have some more of the basics on hand, like a dewormer/antiparasitics and topical/internal antibiotics for when the need strikes.

Otherwise I figure checking for/ruling out flukes throughout the QT process, and then focusing on vitamin enriched foods before during and after QT could help too.

Happy reefing to you too!

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yeah I don't want to go completely overboard with harsh treatments but will definitely have some more of the basics on hand, like a dewormer/antiparasitics and topical/internal antibiotics for when the need strikes.

Otherwise I figure checking for/ruling out flukes throughout the QT process, and then focusing on vitamin enriched foods before during and after QT could help too.

Happy reefing to you too!
A lot can be said for a quick freshwater dip too.

All my fish get a freshwater dip of 5 to 10 minutes to start. Then a ttm qt. If I notice additional issues I'll take care of them as they arise. But honestly I've found those 2 things really make a big difference.

Let me know if you ever need anything. If I don't know the answer I'll help you find it.

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss, it always tough to lose a fish. In my experience, the male in clown pairs is prone to accidents. Even in relatively "happy" pairs, he is usually pushed around some by the female.

I'd definitely recommend quarantine in the future: we spend way too much money on our tanks not too. However, I wouldn't worry about treating this time since mollies wouldn't have spread freshwater diseases to saltwater. Keep an eye on all the fish and make sure everyone's eating and energetic. Best of luck and happy reefing!

OP
OP
nastronaut

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot can be said for a quick freshwater dip too.

All my fish get a freshwater dip of 5 to 10 minutes to start. Then a ttm qt. If I notice additional issues I'll take care of them as they arise. But honestly I've found those 2 things really make a big difference.

Let me know if you ever need anything. If I don't know the answer I'll help you find it.
Do you do the FW dip right from the bag per say, after temp acclimating?

Thanks I'll definitely hit you up!

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you do the FW dip right from the bag per say, after temp acclimating?

Thanks I'll definitely hit you up!
I temp acclimate and then drop them in a large specimen container that is filled with RO/ DI water that was also temp acclimated. Here is a pic of what I use. The pet store hangs it on the outside to bag your fish. I use it on the inside of the tank to dip and acclimate.

20201101_221807.jpg

OP
OP
nastronaut

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss, it always tough to lose a fish. In my experience, the male in clown pairs is prone to accidents. Even in relatively "happy" pairs, he is usually pushed around some by the female.

I'd definitely recommend quarantine in the future: we spend way too much money on our tanks not too. However, I wouldn't worry about treating this time since mollies wouldn't have spread freshwater diseases to saltwater. Keep an eye on all the fish and make sure everyone's eating and energetic. Best of luck and happy reefing!
Thanks, yeah the melafix treatment is mostly for my pipe at the moment, his tail had some damaged and he's been dragging it around making the bottom fray from dragging it while it's healing. Hoping it'll help him get over the lump and also give everyone a little boost.

This whole ordeal was my first real loss, and just made me realize how devastated I'd be, and how easily the situation could have been a lot worse.

Otherwise I'm just keeping an eye out for signs of any other internal parasites and keeping an extra close eye on my female clown.

So far everyone's eating well and energetic so feeling /blessed/.

OP
OP
nastronaut

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I temp acclimate and then drop them in a large specimen container that is filled with RO/ DI water that was also temp acclimated. Here is a pic of what I use. The pet store hangs it on the outside to bag your fish. I use it on the inside of the tank to dip and acclimate.

20201101_221807.jpg
Nice I'll pick one up soon :)

OP
OP
nastronaut

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one for each tank lol (3) but I'm a little obsessed
Haha I'm sure I'll need atleast 2. I picked up a tank, filter, and heater for my QT setup earlier today (good deal from local reefer), but it's a 20 tall which is a little too... Tall for my liking. My DT is only 40 gal and I think I'll grab a 10gal tomorrow while the dollar per gallon (petco) sale is happening.

Might save the 20 tall for a refugium though. Ofcourse I'll need to redo/make a new stand to have room.⚒️

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I'm sure I'll need atleast 2. I picked up a tank, filter, and heater for my QT setup earlier today (good deal from local reefer), but it's a 20 tall which is a little too... Tall for my liking. My DT is only 40 gal and I think I'll grab a 10gal tomorrow while the dollar per gallon (petco) sale is happening.

Might save the 20 tall for a refugium though. Ofcourse I'll need to redo/make a new stand to have room.⚒
I use 20 talls for my qt... I honestly wish I had gone with 10 gallon tank for standard qt and a 20L for things like tangs in qt.

OP
OP
nastronaut

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 20 talls for my qt... I honestly wish I had gone with 10 gallon tank for standard qt and a 20L for things like tangs in qt.
The 20 tall is a great looking tank - but I just downsized apts so until I redo my stand (which I just messaged someone about), I'll probably opt for a 10 gal across the room, have a nice built in shelf it can fit snuggly on. (>10 ft away from main tank)

Plus I'm not really going to be getting many more fish for the foreseeable future - other than a clown once the QT is solid and I find a good match. And especially not tangs in my 40gal. Hehe.

This is making me excited for future refugium/sump and or having room for more coral (still conceptualizing).

Would like to breed/raise up pipes and clowns someday so extra tanks don't hurt either way.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hard to determine once dead but from what you described, could be the start of brook or shimmy along with stress from another male clown
Pics do not show signs of aggression. When acclimating, do you go straight to to water or as a last step?

OP
OP
nastronaut

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to determine once dead but from what you described, could be the start of brook or shimmy along with stress from another male clown
Pics do not show signs of aggression. When acclimating, do you go straight to to water or as a last step?
He was drip acclimated. No other male clowns.

Not seeing other signs of Brooke all other tank inhabitants are doing well at the moment.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back