Horrible bubble algae

DerekT5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a bubble algae problem and I just can’t get it out. Every time I try it pops on me and I know that is not good so I am not trying right now. I know emerald crabs are supposed to be really good at eating it but I had an emerald crab and it ate a couple of fish. Anyone have any solutions? Thanks!

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took out some nasty bubble algae from my tank. First, I got four large emerald crabs for maintenance. Second, I did manual extractions during more frequent water changes. Turned off all flow and used a small hose siphon with a piece of acrylic tubing on the end to suck out the algae as I scraped it off. If some broke, I sucked up what I could. I used this blade set from Harbor Freight to do the scraping but you could use scalpels: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-stainless-steel-carving-set-34152.html I've used that set along with this set: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-pick-set-93514.html quite a bit when cleaning my tank and frag plugs of pests and algae. Just get as much as you can see. When I noticed more show up, I got out the tools and went at it again. Now I have very few bubbles and I see the crabs eating it. They went to town on the tank as soon as I added them. I got the biggest ones at the LFS because I believed they would be good eaters. Have an FTS? I don't expect anything pretty. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back