Hospital tank question

Taki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no filtration in my hospital tank other than some floss in the aquaclear that I change daily. I never thought of keeping a “seeded” sponge in my sump for such an occasion. So, can I add the sponge that came with the filter to my quarantine tank and add some bacteria in a bottle with the fish already in the tank?

the quarantine tank is a 10 gallon with all the standard stuff including a Salifert test kit, seachem alert badge, etc. It’s currently housing the survivors of an ich and velvet outbreak; foxface, coral beauty, melanarus, blenny and ocelaris. Sadly the diamond goby and longnose didn’t make it. I would like to start the copper treatment ASAP.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that filter come with ceramic biomedia or something like that?

I'm no expert but with that many fish in a 10G things can get ugly fast. I would add a bottle of Fritz-Zyme TurboStart 900 or something equivalent to kickstart the biofilter.

Keep an eye on ammonia levels until the biofilter is established.

BPC10001

Aspiring Reef Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 40 breeder filled halfway. I had to set it up in an emergency last night for a sick tang and did it with all new seawater. I added in a brand new spongefilter (rated for 40 gallons) which I soaked in Dr. Tims. I also threw in an extra airstone for good measure. In short, I've never had a problem doing this / losing fish starting from a completely "cold" start.

As mentioned above, your bigger issue is the bioload from that many fish.... 1) not sure they will all fit in the tank comfortably, and 2) that will definitely create quick ammonia in a space that small even with good filtration

OP
OP
T

Taki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that filter come with ceramic biomedia or something like that?

I'm no expert but with that many fish in a 10G things can get ugly fast. I would add a bottle of Fritz-Zyme TurboStart 900 or something equivalent to kickstart the biofilter.

Keep an eye on ammonia levels until the biofilter is established.

It comes with a little bag of ceramic balls, some carbon and a sponge. I was advised to throw away the bio balls and carbon due to their absorption of copper. The sponge if seeded with bacteria is handy because it doesn’t affect the copper and fits nicely in the filter.

So, if a can add a sponge and a little bacteria in a bottle directly to the hospital tank with the fish already in it, then I will do it.

should I get a bigger tank?

BPC10001

Aspiring Reef Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It comes with a little bag of ceramic balls, some carbon and a sponge. I was advised to throw away the bio balls and carbon due to their absorption of copper. The sponge if seeded with bacteria is handy because it doesn’t affect the copper and fits nicely in the filter.

So, if a can add a sponge and a little bacteria in a bottle directly to the hospital tank with the fish already in it, then I will do it.

How big is your main tank? If you are keeping that many fish in a 90+ gallon system and then putting them into a 10 gallon, it would be a little cramped...

OP
OP
T

Taki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 40 breeder filled halfway. I had to set it up in an emergency last night for a sick tang and did it with all new seawater. I added in a brand new spongefilter (rated for 40 gallons) which I soaked in Dr. Tims. I also threw in an extra airstone for good measure. In short, I've never had a problem doing this / losing fish starting from a completely "cold" start.

As mentioned above, your bigger issue is the bioload from that many fish.... 1) not sure they will all fit in the tank comfortably, and 2) that will definitely create quick ammonia in a space that small even with good filtration
Thanks, Iwill look into getting a bigger tank.

in the meantime I will add a new sponge soaked in Dr. Tim’s. Hope the fish don’t mind too much. I’ll keep ammonia in check in the meantime.

BPC10001

Aspiring Reef Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May need to do 10-20% WC / day if it its getting really out of control. The spike (if it happens) will be in the beginning while things establish

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can add the bacteria without harming your fish.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Iwill look into getting a bigger tank.

I'm using a 20G Tall that has the same footprint as a 10G tank. Got it for $20 from PetCo's 50% off sale.

I used to have a 10G QT back in the day but I'm loving the 20G Tall. So much easier to keep the parameters stable with the extra volume. It's not necessary but nice to have the extra volume.

image-jpg.2266639

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back