Hospital tank taking forever to cycle

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Man I really can't afford a hanna checker right now. If I put the exact amount recommended dose and still be able to do the copper treatment. Money is realy tight right now and I didn't think I was gonna have to invest so much already to get this qt up and running and time it has taken me. My fish are very lucky to be as healthy as the are with ick in the tank. I have been dosing the reef tank for 3 weeks every night with herbtana and it works well by keeping my fish healthy enough to fight ick and not die. They have been needing qt for aleast a month now. I really need to get them in there. But I don't wanna kill them.
See if there’s an LFS that has Hanna kit they can test for you
Your risk is overdosing and loss of livestock

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@easyautocare18
I agree with @vetteguy53081 that you should either buy the Hanna copper test kit or find an LFS that can test for you.
Overdose of copper in a hospital tank could kill all your fish, which would be a greater loss than the cost of the tester.
Under dose of copper risks not eliminating the parasites and reintroducing them to your tank at the end of treatment, starting the whole process over again. This would also be more trouble than the cost of the Hanna copper test kit.

If your wife is very concerned about this process killing your fish, the Hanna copper test kit could help provide additional peace-of-mind as well.

Proper disease treatment is not an easy task, so it should be done with the best method possible without any shortcuts, in my opinion. I bought the Hanna copper tester when medicating a powder blue tang for ich (Cryptocaryon), and it was a significant help to my lack of experience with QT/medication.

OP
OP
easyautocare18

easyautocare18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@easyautocare18
I agree with @vetteguy53081 that you should either buy the Hanna copper test kit or find an LFS that can test for you.
Overdose of copper in a hospital tank could kill all your fish, which would be a greater loss than the cost of the tester.
Under dose of copper risks not eliminating the parasites and reintroducing them to your tank at the end of treatment, starting the whole process over again. This would also be more trouble than the cost of the Hanna copper test kit.

If your wife is very concerned about this process killing your fish, the Hanna copper test kit could help provide additional peace-of-mind as well.

Proper disease treatment is not an easy task, so it should be done with the best method possible without any shortcuts, in my opinion. I bought the Hanna copper tester when medicating a powder blue tang for ich (Cryptocaryon), and it was a significant help to my lack of experience with QT/medication.
I appreciate everyone's responses, I'm gonna order the hanna high range tester now. Thank yall

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back