Hot rodding your DT, with sulfur denitrators

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started reef keeping, 1983, information was limited. I stopped the hobby, came back off and on , back again today. One thing if you look up cultured pearls, it took 20 or more years to perfect. Edison took many trials and errors till bulb worked right. At present I have 30 gallon DT, Heavy feeding, nitrates 5-10ppm, phosphates 0-.03, no water changes. Do dose 3 ml vodka in each refugium every night. Dose calcium for 8.0-8.6 ph, depending on what time of day it is. I have 3 home made sulfur denitrators, the drip rate, (which I setup using orp, nitrate test kit, water flow test is through 1/4" tubing, connected to discharge of 500 gph pump.
The flow rate is 90-110 ml per minute. Comes out to approximately 2 gallons of water per hour. Must be fine because nitrates are in the range I need.

See my YouTube video showing flow rate of two denitrators under
Hot rodding your DT, with sulfur denitrators pt2, Reef2Reef

Will post pictures soon.

So how do we hot rod our DT. By using sulfur denitrators, Google for history of them. On mine I added prefilter, then 100' x 1/4" i/m tubing. The third sulfur denitrator has 200' of tubing. This assures very little oxygen when water enters SD.

When done assembling SD, I have a pilot plant, fill SD with 20ml vodka let it circulate 24-48 hrs. Then put in production. By adding and removing SD, I'm able to control nitrates,let me know what you think is really happening in SD, by doing this. Pictures coming, I promise.

Happy reefing.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool idea! I'll be interested to see those pics!

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using an Ethanol denitrator for 10+ years. I cant imagine a tank without some kind of denitrator. I got the one I currently use here http://aquaripure.com/

Its old and rather than fix it, I am in the middle of building a Methanol Denitrator to replace

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took some pictures today of denitrators. Lot of spaghetti, but I do know what every hose is for.

Sulfur denitrator #3. Started it a week ago

1520043213139.jpg

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last one, I use to bring down (nitrates) from used tank water and reuse for DT or algae pool also if I need another denitrator. Feed it potassium nitrate when it needs it

20180302_090535.jpg

Last edited:

Epicreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've seen if you have enough coral then the coral and a skimmer will keep nutrients in check. The hard part is setup and year one. I would suggest as large a refugium as possible, metered kalk for Ca/alk and most of your topoff and a good skimmer. You need a decent size tank but start with atleast one bristle tooth tang for algae. Lots of light on the refugium, no GFO and when the refugium dies off from lack of nutrients you can add more and more fish.

Mikemccafe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started reefing in the 90's I purchased a nitrate reactor that dosed hydrogen sulfide and utilized bacteria to breakdown the nitrates. I thought it was kind of cool back then even with the rotten egg smell, lol, as a byproduct of the process

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's video of flow exiting denitrators #1 & #2
When I first started reefing in the 90's I purchased a nitrate reactor that dosed hydrogen sulfide and utilized bacteria to breakdown the nitrates. I thought it was kind of cool back then even with the rotten egg smell, lol, as a byproduct of the process
There's different designs out there.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back