Hot take, does sponges limit corals growth by choking them on the base?

Shinobireef92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed that my zoa garden is not growing as much, when I actually dust the rock off, I saw sponges limiting the zoa growths and actually the zoas are not growing where there’s sponges. What reef expert thinks? Asking for a friend.

8F738CF6-890C-495E-AD84-C4FB8B1145EC.jpeg

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed that my zoa garden is not growing as much, when I actually dust the rock off, I saw sponges limiting the zoa growths and actually the zoas are not growing where there’s sponges. What reef expert thinks? Asking for a friend.

I think sponges have taken on a bad rep. Anything wants to take over and Live/Grow. That’s the natural of most living things. Invasive is another completely other topic. Where are these sponges in this pic? The blue growth?

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think sponges have taken on a bad rep. Anything wants to take over and Live/Grow. That’s the natural of most living things. Invasive is another completely other topic. Where are these sponges in this pic? The blue growth?
I don’t think sponges get a bad rap. Some are good and some are invasive. I’ve seen sponges that will smother corals.

They are great at filtering your water though. Pineapple sponges come and go.
Just like Zoe’s or GSP if you want diversity in your tank you should allow room

Always but the point of Zoa gardens is so they fill in and the rock becomes covered in zoas. The hope being the gaps fill in and the space that was there is no longer there

It’s honestly hard to tell if it it is sponge or just zoas that have melted some and are dying back. Can you provide a picture in white light?

Are Zoa the only other thing on the rock?

Zoas when growing are connected together and this tissue can form a mat of sorts. As long as the tissue doesn’t completely go away it is possible that given enough time they can grow back.

But to answer you main question again. Yes some sponges can inhibit and or smother out all types of corals

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do not scrub or cut/damage it within tank as many have potential to release toxins.
Exposing it to air is one way to stop its progress but you have to remove it to accomplish this.
If not feasible, you can use a syringe and inject air or vinegar into the sponge which will stop it’s growth

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure the sponge may or may not take over. I had an acan frag with that on it and threw the whole frag out, no amount of removal kept it away and I wanted it dead and gone before it took over the rocks

hopefully yours responds to surgical removal. Mine wouldn’t, tossed and got it in time too I wouldn’t undo that option. That frag was years old I hated to lose it

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better pictures would help. Cryptic sponges are essential recyclers in reef ecosystems. SPonges that grow in the same light corals grow in can outcompete corals and may or may not be an issue. Keep in mind what sponges release is usually dependant on what they are feeding off of. Personally I'd leave them but if they really bother you using stainless steel straws to siphon them out may help. Here's some stuff you might find informative.

ChiFlyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same issue. Blue sponge just choking them out. This colony used to be flourishing. Im going to try the h202 dip which i read has successfully taken the sponge out.
1646780941192861378772188719934.jpg

ponceludon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same issue. Blue sponge just choking them out. This colony used to be flourishing. Im going to try the h202 dip which i read has successfully taken the sponge out.
1646780941192861378772188719934.jpg
How did the dip work out? I have the same issue.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah I had a sponge strange my zoa garden and none lived. I thought they were new growth of zoas until I noticed mine were not growing and took a picture for the LFS. I pull it off with tongs now

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back