hot water accidentally went through RO DI

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I accidentally had my hot water line (very hot) hooked up to my RO DI. I notice it after about 3 gallons filtered. It's very hot, hotter than normal for around here. Enough to steam up. Did I kill the membrane and the DI resin?
TIA

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I accidentally had my hot water line (very hot) hooked up to my RO DI. I notice it after about 3 gallons filtered. It's very hot, hotter than normal for around here. Enough to steam up. Did I kill the membrane and the DI resin?
TIA

How hot does your water tank go? (If you know)

What RO membrane (brand/model) do you have installed?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
TIA

I'm guessing you didn't have any cold water in the unit before? Just stagnant room temp water?

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hot does your water tank go? (If you know)

What RO membrane (brand/model) do you have installed?

I'm guessing you didn't have any cold water in the unit before? Just stagnant room temp water?
I"m going to guess 160 F. I put in a thermometer that reads max 130 and it went ther eimmediately when I put the thermometer in a cu pof hot water. The water in the unit was room temp. I'm using it now. I dont se eany difference in the TDS after the membrane and after the DI's. between now and before this .
I'm pretty sure the membrane is this: https://airwaterice.com/membranes/filmtec-membrane-75-gpd.html

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got so tired of running the hot only by accident I just shut off the red valve to prevent this mistake again.
Right now, in Houston, the water out of my cold tap is hot enough to burn my hand until it's been running for a few minutes. Something to consider if you're in a hot climate...

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, in Houston, the water out of my cold tap is hot enough to burn my hand until it's been running for a few minutes. Something to consider if you're in a hot climate...
Dude that’s pretty hot , I’m in nyc never happens here

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, do you run your RO DI when the water is hot? I mean it must be hot half the year, so then you must have to run hot. Safe to assume then your membranes didnt liquify like that post said (melting immeidately, according to the expert in that post). So if my membrane is melted now to some extent is that releasing toxins, even that cant be detected by TDS? or abosrobed by the DI?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, do you run your RO DI when the water is hot? I mean it must be hot half the year, so then you must have to run hot. Safe to assume then your membranes didnt liquify like that post said (melting immeidately, according to the expert in that post). So if my membrane is melted now to some extent is that releasing toxins, even that cant be detected by TDS? or abosrobed by the DI?
I disconnect the RODI from the tap and run the water until it's not too hot. It just takes a few minutes to purge the water that's been in the pipes from my water meter to the house (and then up through the attic...). Then I reconnect the RODI and run the system as usual.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that makes sense, but that's crazy if you want normal temp water you just cant unless you run it over ice.
Yeah, kinda sucks when you want to wash off lettuce and stuff to make a salad... In the summer, there's really no "cold" water from the tap. Luckily my fridge has a water dispenser :)

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I"m going to guess 160 F. I put in a thermometer that reads max 130 and it went ther eimmediately when I put the thermometer in a cu pof hot water. The water in the unit was room temp. I'm using it now. I dont se eany difference in the TDS after the membrane and after the DI's. between now and before this .
I'm pretty sure the membrane is this: https://airwaterice.com/membranes/filmtec-membrane-75-gpd.html

You might want to double check the material of your hot water pipes. 160° is going to cause you expensive problems if they are PVC

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 123 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back