HotRocks SPS Dominant 425XL. Yes, Another Tank...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just adding a few coral pics tonight :)

DSCN0023_1.JPG

DSCN0070_2.JPG

DSCN0071.JPG

DSCN0027.JPG
:). You need a new camera. :)... No - really... Actually - could you show a complete pic of your tank?:)

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:). You need a new camera. :)... No - really... Actually - could you show a complete pic of your tank?:)
Lol, it's a brand new camera!!! Just got it yesterday and the first time I've ever stuck a camera underwater for pics. :)

I will get the lighting right and play with it when I have more time. There are some FTS in this thread. I will get some newer pics up this weekend when I have some time.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pump question. Do you think the vectra S2 is enough for this tank? What percentage are you running it? Any manifold? Thanks
I do wish I would have went with the L2. I may switch it eventually. If the Apex flow sensor is correct I get around 3x turnover per hour. Running full bore 360gph. I do not run a manifold of any sort. Strictly using as a return only.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do wish I would have went with the L2. I may switch it eventually. If the Apex flow sensor is correct I get around 3x turnover per hour. Running full bore 360gph. I do not run a manifold of any sort. Strictly using as a return only.
The S2 should give you much more flow than that. :confused:
I know some of the Vectra's have issues where they don't reach the rated flow even with almost no head so I wonder if you got a defective one. I'd consider reaching out to the manufacturer if it is still under warranty.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Well my SPS journey has taught me several things...

We live in a newer home that we built just over 2 years ago, and my wife, kids, and dogs are home most of the time. We also have mostly gas appliances. So my house is plumb full of C02!

Anyway with the Apex and constant monitoring of the pH, I have been keeping windows open (when the weather allows) during the day to maintain a pH of around 8.1 that falls to 7.95 during the night. Well I added the BRS C02 scrubber yesterday. My pH was 8.05 when I added it and hasn't dropped a bit overnight. Be interesting to see what it climbs to today. I am aiming for the optimal 8.3 mark.

Back to daily alkalinity testing to see if consumption increases with the higher pH!

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-...yssdJ1DL2-Afr1lH_I1gGJSPXhZLoxshoCQx4QAvD_BwE

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Well my SPS journey has taught me several things...

We live in a newer home that we built just over 2 years ago, and my wife, kids, and dogs are home most of the time. We also have mostly gas appliances. So my house is plumb full of C02!

Anyway with the Apex and constant monitoring of the pH, I have been keeping windows open (when the weather allows) during the day to maintain a pH of around 8.1 that falls to 7.95 during the night. Well I added the BRS C02 scrubber yesterday. My pH was 8.05 when I added it and hasn't dropped a bit overnight. Be interesting to see what it climbs to today. I am aiming for the optimal 8.3 mark.

Back to daily alkalinity testing to see if consumption increases with the higher pH!

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-...yssdJ1DL2-Afr1lH_I1gGJSPXhZLoxshoCQx4QAvD_BwE
Good luck with that! I went the same route at one point before giving up. I was having to change reagent at least once a week and more often when I first set it up. Had I kept using it, I think it would have been the most expensive thing in my system.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with that! I went the same route at one point before giving up. I was having to change reagent at least once a week and more often when I first set it up. Had I kept using it, I think it would have been the most expensive thing in my system.
Well, hopefully I will be ok! Media hasn't changed color yet at all and my pH is consistently 8.2-8.3 now. How long will it last... Don't know yet ;)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, hopefully I will be ok! Media hasn't changed color yet at all and my pH is consistently 8.2-8.3 now. How long will it last... Don't know yet ;)
Don't worry about the color change so much. With your Apex you can rely on your monitoring to let you know when it needs changing. You may also get a little more life out of it by adding more water to the reactor.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about the color change so much. With your Apex you can rely on your monitoring to let you know when it needs changing. You may also get a little more life out of it by adding more water to the reactor.
My consumption is increasing considerably as well. I will add a bit more water thanks for the tip on that :)

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how I missed this one...great build! Glad to see another 425xl out there on the SPS heavy side.

Mine has been a slow 18 month build to fill point but just hit the 4 month post cycle and things are taking off.

I use the BRS jumbo CO2 canisters with the feed coming from the a line I put into my ATO Fresh water reservoir in my basement. The slightly humid air really prolongs the life of the media. You can also plumb the feed from the skimmer which I employ in my frag system but you’ll need a water trap as it tends to be overly humidified.

My DT has hit pH’s of 8.6 and I’ve had to add a line to my apex to turn the skimmer off when greater than pH 8.5.

4d1b13ef9e238491530187b72495deab.jpg

Enjoying your build! Following.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how I missed this one...great build! Glad to see another 425xl out there on the SPS heavy side.

Mine has been a slow 18 month build to fill point but just hit the 4 month post cycle and things are taking off.

I use the BRS jumbo CO2 canisters with the feed coming from the a line I put into my ATO Fresh water reservoir in my basement. The slightly humid air really prolongs the life of the media. You can also plumb the feed from the skimmer which I employ in my frag system but you’ll need a water trap as it tends to be overly humidified.

My DT has hit pH’s of 8.6 and I’ve had to add a line to my apex to turn the skimmer off when greater than pH 8.5.

4d1b13ef9e238491530187b72495deab.jpg

Enjoying your build! Following.
@Rakie
@GoVols

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back