HotRocks SPS Dominant 425XL. Yes, Another Tank...

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, It's Friday night and I'm like a 8 year old on Christmas Eve!

I went to our local frag swap a couple months ago. That was it, I FELL IN LOVE with SPS. I bought a few things and put them in my RSR Nano that I use for QT. Then... I stumbled upon @Battlecorals amazing website. Well it was over for me right then and there. Adam has been great in helping me along with my journey. @Brew12 has helped me out with some of the chemistry questions and my GHL dosers. @Crabs McJones has been a staple in my success from the beginning as well.

For those of you that don't know me, I am a fish disease nerd. I love helping people here at R2R and locally through issues regarding fish diagnosis and treatment. That being said... The major challenge I have faced thus far is keeping acros in a fishless system for 76 day fallow period. Anyway I had been contemplating another tank specifically for Wrasse, then I got bit by the big nasty coral bug. So a new tank dedicated to SPS it is...

I contemplated attempting to add SPS to my 750XXL. Well I quickly came to the realization none of the corals I added to that tank over the last few years have been dipped properly and I have way too many fish that are a risk. I also don't know that I could ever get the chemistry to support SPS due to being slightly overstocked ;Blackeye.

@4FordFamily and @Commander86 are helping me pick up the tank tomorrow!

Here is the system:
Red Sea Reefer 425XL
Apex, with FMK and second energy bar
2 Maxspect 330 gyres/Controller
2 Radion XR30 Pro 4's
Aquatic Life 48" T5 hybrid (4x ATI Blue+)
Ecotech Vectra S2 return
Reef Octo 152S skimmer
Prime HD Fuge light.
Eheim Jager heaters.
GHL 2.1 SA 4 head doser + 4 head slave doser. (Currently in use on nano AKA frag tank)

Fish list:
Chromis (maybe)
CBB (maybe)
Tomini Tang
Pyramid Butterfly
3 Lyretail Anthias females/1 male
Longnose Hawk fish
Orchid Dotty
Pair of storm Clowns
Magnificent Foxface
Azure Damsel (Just to irritate @4FordFamily :eek:)

Welcome any suggestions! Pics tomorrow!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I went to our local frag swap a couple months ago. That was it, I FELL IN LOVE with SPS. I bought a few things and put them in my RSR Nano that I use for QT. Then... I stumbled upon @Battlecorals amazing website. Well it was over for me right then and there. Adam has been great in helping me along with my journey. @Brew 12 has helped me out with some of the chemistry questions and my GHL dosers. @Crabs McJones has been a staple in my success from the beginning as well.

For those of you that don't know me, I am a fish disease nerd. I love helping people here at R2R and locally through issues regarding fish diagnosis and treatment. That being said... The major challenge I have faced thus far is keeping acros in a fishless system for 76 day fallow period. Anyway I had been contemplating another tank specifically for Wrasse, then I got bit by the big nasty coral bug. So a new tank dedicated to SPS it is...

I contemplated attempting to add SPS to my 750XXL. Well I quickly came to the realization none of the corals I added to that tank over the last few years have been dipped properly and I have way too many fish that are a risk. I also don't know that I could ever get the chemistry to support SPS due to being slightly overstocked ;Blackeye.

Here is the system:
Red Sea Reefer 425XL
2 Radion XR30 Pro 4's
Ecotech Vectra S2 return
Reef Octo 152S skimmer
Prime HD Fuge light.
Eheim Jager heaters.
GHL 2.1 SA 4 head doser + 4 head slave doser. (Currently in use on nano AKA frag tank)

Fish list:
Chromis (maybe)
CBB (maybe)
Tomini Tang
Pyramid Butterfly
Longnose Hawk fish
Orchid Dotty
Pair of storm Clowns
Magnificent Foxface

;Drool;Drool;Drool;Drool leaving my house now. I'll be there in 6 hours ;Hilarious;Hilarious

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TaylorJames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I love my 425xl! I just recently removed most of my lps coral and am starting over with sps. I also changed my lights, was on the verge of buying the Aquatic life 48" with 2x XR30 pros but decided to build my own light box instead. I had two kessil ap700 previously.

IMG_4689.JPG

8AC48BB7-38FE-4632-ABAF-AF3B3CAF6B63.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I cant help but feel that this whole thing is somehow my fault

LOL. If that is the worst thing that was said about you today, it was a really good day!!! :)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I went to our local frag swap a couple months ago. That was it, I FELL IN LOVE with SPS. I bought a few things and put them in my RSR Nano that I use for QT. Then... I stumbled upon @Battlecorals amazing website. Well it was over for me right then and there. Adam has been great in helping me along with my journey. @Brew12 has helped me out with some of the chemistry questions and my GHL dosers. @Crabs McJones has been a staple in my success from the beginning as well.

Here is the system:
Red Sea Reefer 425XL
2 Radion XR30 Pro 4's
Ecotech Vectra S2 return
Reef Octo 152S skimmer
Prime HD Fuge light.
Eheim Jager heaters.

Fish list:
Chromis (maybe)
CBB (maybe)
Tomini Tang
Pyramid Butterfly
Longnose Hawk fish
Orchid Dotty
Pair of storm Clowns
Magnificent Foxface

HappyPig.gif

I am excited for you just reading this post - I can only imagine how excited you must be! Great choices on the equipment!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant help but feel that this whole thing is somehow my fault
giphy.gif
Mostly, yes. I always had @4FordFamily telling me to avoid avoid avoid. For two reasons. Once I decide I'm going to do something it's 200mph stay out of my way and second he knew my 750 would be likely impossible. Then the little crab came along... Do it.. do it.. DO IT!!! Thanks for all your help so far!
Nice! I love my 425xl! I just recently removed most of my lps coral and am starting over with sps. I also changed my lights, was on the verge of buying the Aquatic life 48" with 2x XR30 pros but decided to build my own light box instead. I had two kessil ap700 previously.

IMG_4689.JPG

8AC48BB7-38FE-4632-ABAF-AF3B3CAF6B63.jpeg
That is a great custom box. Love it! I love the Red Sea product. For sure! I'm really going to struggle being obedient with fish on this one!
Woow! Congrats!
Thanks Jarek!

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep us updated on fishless acro experiences. I have a fishless system that has been keeping/growing acros since November. It’s not been fun. Folks keeping a fishless system stand to benefit from each other even more than normal, I feel like it hasn’t been attempted much at all until recently. My only tips are test alk, NO3 and PO4 often, and feed something with balanced nutrition daily. I use golden pearls right now.

I am sure you will find success, acros thrive when cerebral yet thorough and consistent keepers manage the system. Your previous posts indicate that shouldn’t be a problem.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep us updated on fishless acro experiences. I have a fishless system that has been keeping/growing acros since November. It’s not been fun. Folks keeping a fishless system stand to benefit from each other even more than normal, I feel like it hasn’t been attempted much at all until recently. My only tips are test alk, NO3 and PO4 often, and feed something with balanced nutrition daily. I use golden pearls right now.

I am sure you will find success, acros thrive when cerebral yet thorough and consistent keepers manage the system. Your previous posts indicate that shouldn’t be a problem.
Interesting that you bring this up. So since I am such a freak of nature about introducing fish disease to any of my systems I spent quite a few hours trying to research how to do so with a fishless system and acros. There is not a ton of info out there. I religiously hold anything that joins my displays in a fish-less system for 76 days.

Currently I am testing alk and nitrate daily. This is a bit of a chore, but since everything is being kept in a fish less nano with a fuge it's necessary IMO. I test phosphate every few days.

I am having to dose nitrate and phosphate in order to maintain 5ppm nitrate and .04-.05ppm phosphate. So far so good. I do have about 30 frags currently and have a few that lost color. However most of them look great. Of course it took me a little bit to figure out I needed a PAR meter and ended up ordering a T5 hybrid with an AI hydra 26 to place over the nano in order to maintain proper numbers.

Parameter stability in a 20ish gallon system was also a challenge as I was adding frags. It doesn't take much consumption to drop dkh .5ppm in a small system which is what drove me to order this tank. I will definitely keep you up to speed, thanks for chiming in!

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back