House on a Hill Red Sea 750 XXL

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had mine almost two years. You’ll want to ditch the Red Sea top off quickly. The other issue I have is moisture in the sump area, tho I’m on the third coast. I installed computer fans to bring in fresh air and a large fan over the sump but I’m running an 8 bulb t5 so it heats the water quickly.

I’d run the new gyre 350’s if it were me. They spread the flow better than mp’s.

Lastly, I’ve found the Varios 8 is overpowered for the Red Sea plumbing. I run mine on 3 of 5.
I just ordered the new gyre 350's

OP
OP
Diesel48

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely did not get as much done this weekend as I hoped to. It all just takes longer that I expect. I was able to plumb in the compact roller mat. It used a few more fittings that I thought I would need when originally planning it out but after many measurements, cutting and gluing I got it installed.
sump1.JPG

sump2.JPG

The compact roller mat takes up pretty much the entire area where the emergency drain and main drain would be. Instead of hard plumbing the emergency drain I will probably need to use soft tubing in order for it to fit around the roller mat. Unless the emergency drain can go somewhere else in the sump.

I leveled the tank, not sure this will change once water starts going in or not. I can always remove the sump to get at the feet if more settling occurs.

For lighting I will be using a combination of Kessil 360X and the Aquatic life T5 fixture. I assembled the fixture and attached the ceiling mount hooks. I temporarily hung the light above the tank to see how adjustable the fixture was. Everything seemed like it should work out just fine. The light fixture itself was a little bit flimsy. I do not thing this will be an issue but it made it difficult to get it perfectly level front to back.

10 days until the new baby is here. At this point I have a hard time believing water will be in the tank before her arrival. :)

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely did not get as much done this weekend as I hoped to. It all just takes longer that I expect. I was able to plumb in the compact roller mat. It used a few more fittings that I thought I would need when originally planning it out but after many measurements, cutting and gluing I got it installed.
sump1.JPG

sump2.JPG

The compact roller mat takes up pretty much the entire area where the emergency drain and main drain would be. Instead of hard plumbing the emergency drain I will probably need to use soft tubing in order for it to fit around the roller mat. Unless the emergency drain can go somewhere else in the sump.

I leveled the tank, not sure this will change once water starts going in or not. I can always remove the sump to get at the feet if more settling occurs.

For lighting I will be using a combination of Kessil 360X and the Aquatic life T5 fixture. I assembled the fixture and attached the ceiling mount hooks. I temporarily hung the light above the tank to see how adjustable the fixture was. Everything seemed like it should work out just fine. The light fixture itself was a little bit flimsy. I do not thing this will be an issue but it made it difficult to get it perfectly level front to back.

10 days until the new baby is here. At this point I have a hard time believing water will be in the tank before her arrival. :)

The plumbing looks great! I like the blue, black, and gray. Very nice.

I am really thinking about doing the Aquatic Life and Kessil combo too. Any photos you could share would be great! What length of fixture did you go? I was thinking about doing two 36” long fixtures, but I’m not sure.

OP
OP
Diesel48

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plumbing looks great! I like the blue, black, and gray. Very nice.

I am really thinking about doing the Aquatic Life and Kessil combo too. Any photos you could share would be great! What length of fixture did you go? I was thinking about doing two 36” long fixtures, but I’m not sure.

I went with the 61" fixture, I emailed back and fourth with the owner and that was what he said most users of 6 foot tanks wanted when he was developing it. I was going to pair it with 5 - 360x's so should be plenty of light on the ends. I only have 2 of the LED's right now. When I hang it back up I can attach a pic (not sure when that will be). The light is sitting in the spare bedroom now waiting for its turn.

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the 61" fixture, I emailed back and fourth with the owner and that was what he said most users of 6 foot tanks wanted when he was developing it. I was going to pair it with 5 - 360x's so should be plenty of light on the ends. I only have 2 of the LED's right now. When I hang it back up I can attach a pic (not sure when that will be). The light is sitting in the spare bedroom now waiting for its turn.

Awesome information. THANK YOU!

I need to give my bank account a rest, so I am going to buy lights after I do a four month cycle.

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sump1.JPG

sump2.JPG

I’m looking at your hinges... I think I put mine on backwards! ;Meh

OP
OP
Diesel48

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of work on the tank this weekend. I need to take some pictures when I get a second.
1. Finished my PVC plumbing. Waiting for a few pipe supports before it is fully finished.
2. Did a leak test in the overflow chamber. Been a few days and that section looks and feels water tight.
3. Cut and used silicon to adhere a 1/8" textured black ABS to the bottom of the tank.
4. Started wiring the skimmer, power heads, roller mat and other electronics to the tank and stand. Wires, wires and more wires.

Ready for a full leak test and see how level I actually made the tank by putting water in it. I did not want to add to much to the sump until I can be for sure it is level.

OP
OP
Diesel48

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is filled, no leaks, however I think I am running into my first issue. According to the red sea instructions fill the tank until you have about 6" of water in the main return pump area. I did this, when I turn on the pump though it drains that compartment extremely quickly, even on the lowest setting that the varios 8 can do. My drain is pretty gurgaly. I have the gate valve completely open. This is the first time I have ever had a sump, I am not sure what is going on. The only think I can think of is that I have two many bends in my drain line? It has a couple of bends then has to go up before back down again. Any one have any ideas? I didn't think it would be quite this difficult.
sump1.JPG

BRS did a similar installation and does not seem to have any trouble. They do have a few less bends but it does go up.
rollermant.jpg

OP
OP
Diesel48

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No leaks in the plumbing! Added salt and my rock that has been cycling in a brute since December. I needed to set my Varios 8 to setting 1 as the roller mat can only handle 500 GPH. Drain system is working great. I can shut everything down and not flood the sump. Still working with my specturpure ATO. I can only get it to stop with the emergency sensor. I think I am doing something wrong so I have reached out to customer support. I changed my rock work from what I had originally planned since there was no way I could completely recreated it. Although I think it was for the best! The water refraction sure is wonky when placing rock. Looks different from all angles when placing it.

The new baby and family are adjusting well. Just limited time to work on the tank at the moment. Hopefully, get the lights hung and QT tank up and running soon to get some starter fish in there. Once that is going I will get the DOS hooked up for water changes.

IMG_2125.JPG

IMG_2126.JPG

IMG_2127.JPG

OP
OP
Diesel48

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic Life Hybrid T5 / LED fixture is hung. Need to install the 360X's yet. After that I will get it completely level. This is the ATI Blue + bulbs only. Water is slightly cloudy, surprised as it was all new water and the rocks were cycling in a brute for 4 months. I secured the Ecotech Vortech power heads too. Pretty sure the placement is good. The MP40s are at the bottom rears, the MP60s are 3" off the front and about mid way down. Not sure when I am going to start running the lights to start the uglies. No live stock yet, still need to get the QT tank up and some fish.

IMG_2133.JPG

OP
OP
Diesel48

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added ammonia last night, along with two other strains of bacteria. Microbacter 7 and Biospira. When precycling my rock for 4 months I used dr Tim’s and bioseed or something like that. Figure more strains the better. Tested for ammonia and nitrate this morning. Ammonia was 0 or just slightly over. Nitrate was around 10-15ppm. The bacteria must have stayed on my rock and brightwell biobricks and converted the ammonia. I think my tank is probably considered cycled. It chewed through a lot of ammonia in less than 24 hours. I dosed Dr. Tims ammonia. It says 4 drops per gallon but there was no way I was going to count that many drops for around 180 gallons of water. I just squeezed hard and watch it stream in.

I think I am good to turn on the lights and get algae/uglies going. Once there is some growth I can get a CUC to start eating it up. Any thoughts on this?

Need 30 days yet for fish to QT. Maybe I can have the kids come with me and get a couple this weekend.

I hooked up my carbon reactor. Cleaned out the 44 gallon brute I used to pre seed my rocks to use as my remote ATO container.

When everyone was in bed I added the Kessil 360x to the aquatic life lights. I kept the cords and power bricks as near as possible but there are a lot of cords. I still need to get some usb c cables to daisy chain them together to use with the light controller.

I will probably work on the Neptune DOS for autowater changes tonight. Once that is good I plan on changing out around 3 gallons a day.

Back