How am Igoing to do a power head for this...tank

AL210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 Gallon Cylinder. Build thread in my Sig.
I have an Apex system. I have no experience in any powerhead placement.
I need help from you guys on this. I was thinking 1 powerhead but mounted where?
31E986F5-CED5-4365-B949-6E9A07184CF2.jpeg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would mount 1 on 1 side near the blue area and one on the other.
Point them so the flow is swirling around the tank and running into each other. Then run them on pulse mode or timers so you get alternating currents that circle the tank. Maybe one mid level and one near the top. Thats all I got!

Last edited:

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use 2 or 3 tunze controllable pumps, say these as they can turn about any direction. And point them towards a nearby curve maybe at say 30 degree angles. By bouncing off the glass creating chaotic currents throughout the tank without any direct flow hitting the majority of the tank.

id play with the angles and amount of power till get the strength you need without a sand storm.

OP
OP
AL210

AL210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use 2 or 3 tunze controllable pumps, say these as they can turn about any direction. And point them towards a nearby curve maybe at say 30 degree angles. By bouncing off the glass creating chaotic currents throughout the tank without any direct flow hitting the majority of the tank.

id play with the angles and amount of power till get the strength you need without a sand storm.

Thank you. That is a great idea.

Am I going to have any problems mounting these on a cylinder tank wall. The magnets and pumps are all designed for a flat surface.

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i'm not mistaken, the Tunze powerheads can fit into the Tunze rock without the need for a mount to the glass. Look up Tunze Stream Rock

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. That is a great idea.

Am I going to have any problems mounting these on a cylinder tank wall. The magnets and pumps are all designed for a flat surface.
When i get home ill test my tunzes on a curved surface. How thick is the glass?

@Brew12 may also have some input on their magnet strength.

inletfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would mount 1 on 1 side near the blue area and one on the other.
Point them so the flow is swirling around the tank and running into each other. Then run them on pulse mode or timers so you get alternating currents that circle the tank. Maybe one mid level and one near the top. Thats all I got!
i would do this and adjust as needed

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i get home ill test my tunzes on a curved surface. How thick is the glass?

@Brew12 may also have some input on their magnet strength.
I have no idea how they would do. This is going to be a tough tank to get good flow with. Tall and round is a difficult combination. I don't see how the returns are set up, but I would be tempted to try and not use any power heads. I would try to do it all with a return pump and directional nozzles.

inletfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could also use gyres vertically. i think that would work quite well, you can put them in forward reverse mode and would get a pretty good random flow

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to your build thread where I was able to see what looks like a single return nozzle. If possible, I would point that right at the center of the tank. I'm not a flow engineer, but I think what will happen is that it will give you maximum velocity down onto the coral and be forced out to the sides of the tank and then back up creating a natural updraft. See how hi you can set your return pump without blowing the sand all over.

OP
OP
AL210

AL210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to your build thread where I was able to see what looks like a single return nozzle. If possible, I would point that right at the center of the tank. I'm not a flow engineer, but I think what will happen is that it will give you maximum velocity down onto the coral and be forced out to the sides of the tank and then back up creating a natural updraft. See how hi you can set your return pump without blowing the sand all over.

Thanks for the idea.

I'm just filling the tank now. My RODI holding tank is on 20Gal so Ill take my about two days to get the tank filled to test.

I'm not sure I can get enough flow. Apex Core 15 pump and return line is only 3/4" I have a single 1" drain. Maybe 1 powerhead also pointed that way to help?

G60bv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyre pump. Mounted long ways. One head going one way. And the other. The other way..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back