• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just like the thread says I am wondering what everyone is doing. I used a Mag-Float on my 150. I wanted to try Algae Free but not sure I can justify the price. answer the poll and let me know what you are doing about algae on the glass.

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I tossed my flipper. Noticed I was in the tank more with a razor blade anyways.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag float during the week for a quick clean. Regular old blue kitchen sponges with the scrubby on one side on cleaning day to get a good deep clean. Razor blade every month or so to get really stubborn stuff

2_much_junk_in_the_sump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Flipper, but it would be better if the scraper side floated. I've had it fall into my frogspawn more than once when I got cute skipping from the front to the side.

I would also suggest a properly sized UV. I have no green haze on the glass after upgrading to a good UV and the difference in water clarity is amazing. It is well worth the $ IMO.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like the Flipper, but it would be better if the scraper side floated. I've had it fall into my frogspawn more than once when I got cute skipping from the front to the side.

I would also suggest a properly sized UV. I have no green haze on the glass after upgrading to a good UV and the difference in water clarity is amazing. It is well worth the $ IMO.
I have been using my same UV I had on my 150 gallon. 55 watt. I think I need something a tad more powerful. I am not sure how to size those things.

2_much_junk_in_the_sump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using my same UV I had on my 150 gallon. 55 watt. I think I need something a tad more powerful. I am not sure how to size those things.

That is a pretty strong UV for that size tank (0.37W/g). I have a 15 watt on my Reefer 250 (0.23W/g). Maybe your flow rate is too low? For algae you want to run a lot of water through it. Also, the bulbs die in about a year, so that's something to consider.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flipper has been doing well for me, scrapey side first then the soft side to buff off anything gross. Soft, scrape, soft again if I’m feeling fancy. I’ve got a deep-ish peninsula so it’s been way better than going up to my shoulders in the tank to try to clean the glass near the bottom so I can see my zoas

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is a pretty strong UV for that size tank (0.37W/g). I have a 15 watt on my Reefer 250 (0.23W/g). Maybe your flow rate is too low? For algae you want to run a lot of water through it. Also, the bulbs die in about a year, so that's something to consider.
Yeah I keep the flow slow at about 350-400gph for parasites. my water is clear though

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag Float stays in the tank for the daily cleaning. When the glass near the sand and along the edges gets very dirty I use the Flipper's blade to get that cleaned.

I don't like using a blade to clean algae off the silicone seams so I use this to scrub it off. It's waterproof.
reveal.jpg

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Flipper takes care of my vertical glass but now with this new BB tank I’m struggling to get my bottom glass clean. Doesn’t help that my LFS has been wiped out of snails

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't trust magnet scrapers not to scratch the glass... I just use a Kent scraper with a long handle.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use almost everything on your list. I find the magnetic scrapers to be only slightly useful. I usually use the Magfloat and a scraper I made by slotting a PVC pipe and placing a scraper blade in it.
I have a Kent long handle scraper but the blades are soft and they bend easily.

I have a Flipper Max and Piranha and the pad sides do okay on light films. The Velcro like stuff on the MagFloat is much more aggressive though.
This is on tanks with 1/2 and 3/8 inch glass.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back