How are you cleaning the algae off your glass

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NYCMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced my Algae Free with Flipper Max. I like flipper better as it is much lighter, but still enough pressure to remove the algae. Because it is bigger and lighter, it gets the job done in a fraction of the time. Also, my Algae Free (because the magnet is so strong) scratched my glass when an obviously unfortunately bit of substrate got wedged into it.

Last edited:

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bit more money but I have the algae free Hammerhead and its fantastic. It is likely less common due to the price point compared to other magnet scrapers. I've had mag float and will not go back to anything other than algae free!

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced my Algae Free with Flipper Max. I like flipper better as it is much lighter, but still enough pressure to remove the algae. Because it is bigger and lighter, it gets the job done in a fraction of the time. Also, my Algae Free (because the magnet is so strong) scratched my glass when an obviously unfortunately bit of substrate got wedged into it.
Did you use it will the metal blade attachment?

NYCMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use it will the metal blade attachment?
Never. The only need for the blade is if you have coraline growth on display glass. I use Tunze magnetic scraper for that. Works great. Flipper for removing the algae moss that accumulates on display glass, Tunze for spot removing coraline dots.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the wet side replacement for my algae free hammerhead with the blade. Bought it a month ago. I’ve probably had the hammerhead for over 15 year’s. I don’t know what took me so long to get the blade attachment. That thing is fantastic. For more than 20 year’s before now, I used razor blades. Now I don’t even have to get my hands wet. It’s fantastic.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the brown film algae the snails like to eat, hammerhead magnet. For coralline, less often, the good ole Kent scraper.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You name it, i’ve used it. That being said, I use a hotel room card because it works amazingly well and hasn’t scratched my tank, unlike my flipper magnet which had a carefully inspected metal blade. I can actually clean my tank faster with a card anyways. Try an old room key/credit card/reward card and you’ll see what I mean. It’s phenomenally good and I’d imagine between one of these and a mr. clean magic eraser for light touchups I can’t see a person needing anything else to remove algae from panels, including coralline.

JakeOdinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jasonwell Magnetic Aquarium Fish...

I'm using the exact same one! Ilat first i was comparing it to using a razor blade and I was disappointed but now that I've used it a for a month or so (on a tough, nasty rescue tank) I absolutely love it.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a combination of old credit\debit cards and an Algae Free pad, no blade, on my acrylic tank. That combination works well for me. The cards do lose their edge after a while though. I have a Nuvo 100 EXT arriving next week and I doubt that I will use a blade on it for some time...way too scared of scratching a new tank! ;-)

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn’t get anything that doesn’t float. So for me the Flipper is out.
The MagFloat metal blade doesn’t last long and bends easily.
That leaves me with Algae Free and Tunze.
Algae Free is stronger but I like how cheap replacement blades are for Tunze.
Those two are my go to.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn’t get anything that doesn’t float. So for me the Flipper is out.
The MagFloat metal blade doesn’t last long and bends easily.
That leaves me with Algae Free and Tunze.
Algae Free is stronger but I like how cheap replacement blades are for Tunze.
Those two are my go to.
You can get a replacement scraper kit that uses standard double edge blades. Fits into the same Algaefree blade holder. Pretty cheap replacement blades. Problem is these blades are much less rust resistant, so you have to clean and dry the razors after each use.
140C7A61-2811-4BB5-A553-DE35891F294C.jpeg

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a replacement scraper kit that uses standard double edge blades. Fits into the same Algaefree blade holder. Pretty cheap replacement blades. Problem is these blades are much less rust resistant, so you have to clean and dry the razors after each use.
140C7A61-2811-4BB5-A553-DE35891F294C.jpeg
Yes ! They are very effective but the do rust quite a bit. That why I kind of like the Tunze. Also the Tunze has rounded edges which makes it forgiving around the silicone edges.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back