How are you spending money on this hobby as of Oct. 27th 2022? NO POLITICS!!!

How are you spending money on this hobby as of Oct. 27th 2022?

• Buying as usual

Votes: 204 48.8%
  • Not as often

Votes: 97 23.2%
  • Only the bare necessities

Votes: 101 24.2%
  • Other

Votes: 16 3.8%

• Total voters

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always been a vehicle hoarder and it’s finally paying off lol. We have 3 teens. There’s a used car for each of them. 1’s already in college with one of those vehicles. The other 2 are knocking at the door. Got reliable old cars waiting for them too lol.
Yep my kids have a crappy 6 year old Nissan Versa just waiting on them to start driving, lol. My wife even got hit in the side a year or so ago so it’s pre dented for them.
It pains me everytime I pick my kids up from school and see the extravagantly nice cars that some of these high school kids are driving.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep my kids have a crappy 6 year old Nissan Versa just waiting on them to start driving, lol. My wife even got hit in the side a year or so ago so it’s pre dented for them.
It pains me everytime I pick my kids up from school and see the extravagantly nice cars that some of these high school kids are driving.
Builds character. My daughter got the 08 caddy, next up is my oldest boy, the ‘10 rolla is on deck for him and in a few months the next boy is up and he’s getting the 09 z71 Silverado (I just gotta replace the cheapo dash). I remember when I was a kid….any hoopty was a G ride lol. I turned out fine! A 6 yr old Nissan is actually nice!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Builds character. My daughter got the 08 caddy, next up is my oldest boy, the ‘10 rolla is on deck for him and in a few months the next boy is up and he’s getting the 09 z71 Silverado (I just gotta replace the cheapo dash). I remember when I was a kid….any hoopty was a G ride lol. I turned out fine!
My daughter actually said that she wants to drive the old crappy car because she doesn’t want to be in too much trouble if she wrecks it.

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying about the same as I have all along.

There are some good used equipment deals available since people went back to work "after" the height of the COVID thing. I think a lot of people got in the hobby while they were couped up at home. Now that they are back to work, some have decided that it is too big a time/money drain and are trying to recoup some of that stimulus money.

All that aside my wife and I are seeing a lot more frag events and a lot of good looking coral available in the marketplace. Economic ups and downs always produce effects on the hobby, but most long-term hobbyist continue to buy that one "got to have it " coral or fish. I'm also one of those people that likes to upgrade my equipment to take advantage of the latest technology.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter actually said that she wants to drive the old crappy car because she doesn’t want to be in too much trouble if she wrecks it.
It’s probably for the best. When I released my daughter into the wild with her car, she managed to hit a curb hard enough to ruin the rack and pinion. Lucky for her I know a thing or 2 bout mechanics BUT I made her buy the parts. She hasn’t hit a curb since. These are good beginner cars. Scratch and denting em hurts when they’re new.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can someone please answer this question?

Haha no real significance! When people might read this thread 6 months from now I wanted them to know I was wanting to see how people were spending on Oct 27th 2022. Trying to gauge the state of the hobby in the area of spending a little here.

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i try to spend as little as possible, all i do is buy water for the ATO & water changes, & get some cheap pellet food to feed the copepods in my tank.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to school a long time ago. Then I took my kids to school much later. The car thing has always been there.
Dad, can you come pull me out of the ditch?
I get there and water is running across the headliner because the car is upside down in the creek.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and then there is the fixed income perspective from old people

We are spending the same amount we always have but just not getting as much stuff.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been on spending lock down as I pay off debt, now that I’m a month away from being debt free it almost time to unleash the beast!!!!!
No but really, for the last year I have found that fragging and trading is the way, I’ve spent 200 bucks in 2022 on coral and have some many new corals and friends now

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Now that I'm fully retired my spending has been cut back. Fixed income living sucks sometimes.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
buy as needed. i used to buy on impulse/ sale but now my tank is coasting along so i have no need to buy

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually spending alot of $$$ for new frags.
Need to stock my new tank and the Acro sticks are not really nice to my pocket.

...wife does not need to know they are expensive, right?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man thats soooooo good news! Im happy for you! Go and celebrate and stock that 125 real good :)
God bless you
BEST NEWS EVER!!!! Congrats sir and God bless you as well!!

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the middle of a dual 300g build with MRC so Im spewing money like a fire hose.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back