How bad of an idea is this?

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greeting reefers,
I have the classic "Im going on vacation" dilema. 75 gal mixed reef with overflow box and sump below. Normally I'd be fine, but the last 4 weeks I've had an issue with my drain to sump slowing down, causing a major ATO overfill. Im Not OK leaving this for 5 days. No options for a tank sitter so....my plan is to take my sump offline. ATO will fill directly into tank instead of sump. There is plenty of flow in the tank without return flow...2 gyres, 3 large random wave makers. I also may dial lights down just a touch. Upon return, I will flush clean the sump as I'm sure 5 days the still water will be nasty. FWIW, a new Waterbox setup is arriving early November to replace this outdated overflow style. I hate it haha Just didnt want to do all of that right before leaving. Am I crazy? Thanks!

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first question is, what is causing the drainage issue? Is this a solvable issue before your trip?
Going without a sump should be ok, but I would be cautious if your sump functions as your main nutrient export. A lot of people turn off their skimmer or carbon for a few days a week though, so you may be just fine.

OP
OP
Jman76

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I actually have no idea at this point. Havent discovered any snails etc. Its a new issue, been running good for months. I can open the gate a hair and then it dumps.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So let me understand correctly :the water drains too quickly to your sump from your display, or it drains too slowly and makes your ATO have to overcompensate with evaporation?
Do you hear a syphon? Have you tried increasing your return pump rate? :)

OP
OP
Jman76

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you feeding the tank while gone? My concern would be over feeding with no filtration could cause spikes in nitrates and phosphates. This then causing an algae bloom reducing oxygen.
Our house sitter will feed a cube maybe once or twice if I ask, but honestly I wasnt going to feed as torturous as that sounds, specifically for that reason. I know its horrible thing to do

OP
OP
Jman76

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So let me understand correctly :the water drains too quickly to your sump from your display, or it drains too slowly and makes your ATO have to overcompensate with evaporation?
Do you hear a syphon? Have you tried increasing your return pump rate? :)
No...it drains too slowly. Water piles up in the display. So ATO thinks sump is low and adds water. If I open the drain gate a touch more, it dumps to sump. Then sump is way overfilled, nutrient imbalance etc. There is full siphon. If I open the drain all the way, its just a constant gurgle. Its closed just enough to quiet. Im wondering about my return pump as well....it is wide open

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. What happens if you run your return on its lowest setting? Also, unless you have fish with a particularly active metabolism (blennies, etc) you might be fine not feeding for 5 days. (worst case scenario).

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No...it drains too slowly. Water piles up in the display. So ATO thinks sump is low and adds water. If I open the drain gate a touch more, it dumps to sump. Then sump is way overfilled, nutrient imbalance etc. There is full siphon. If I open the drain all the way, its just a constant gurgle. Its closed just enough to quiet. Im wondering about my return pump as well....it is wide open
Hmm.
You could- fix the issue ( maybe there is a clog or incorrect angle in the plumbing)

Turn down the return pump

Put in a canister.

OP
OP
Jman76

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. What happens if you run your return on its lowest setting? Also, unless you have fish with a particularly active metabolism (blennies, etc) you might be fine not feeding for 5 days. (worst case scenario).
That actually helped a lot, but it was to the point of turning it down to almost a trickle of return, like maybe 25%. I havent changed anything on this for months other than routine sock replacement. Im wondering...would the depth of how far the drain pipe is submerged in the sump water have any effect?

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That actually helped a lot, but it was to the point of turning it down to almost a trickle of return, like maybe 25%. I havent changed anything on this for months other than routine sock replacement. Im wondering...would the depth of how far the drain pipe is submerged in the sump water have any effect?
Yes, but unsure at what effect.
A higher fall to the sump lessens effects of depth resistance.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. . . I can open the gate a hair and then it dumps.

If you're using a valve on your drain line this si likely going to be an ongoing problem. You can't control the biofilms growing in your valve and it can grab and collect detritus out og the water. If it was me I'd figure our how to run your plumbing so it didn't need a valve to operate correctly.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back