How big are newly hatched brine shrimps?

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how big are newly hatched baby brine shrimps are? Micron wise?
I couldn't find much on BBS size on the Google search I did. One source says they are 400micron big, another says 250micron.
They seem kinda smaller than 400microns to my untrained eyes but that's just my impression and I'm not really counting on it.

The mesh screen I use it my current pseudo kreisel setup for my shrimp larvae is too fine for my liking so I want to go bigger.
I want the holes on the mesh to be as big as possible (to allow as much water through as possible) but be just fine enough to keep the newly hatched baby brine shrimp to not pass through.
Of course I could experiment to find out but, if possible, it would be nice to know before actually buying the mesh. Also, I'd prefer to just buy one mesh size rather than buying several different sizes.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 53micron will work for certain possibly a 120 :) what kind of shrimp are you raising :) can you post a picture of your kreisel setup :)
Thanks for the response.
The mesh had bigger holes than 120 micron and the BBS couldn't pass through and I was hoping to go bigger. I cant remember the exact mesh size off my head but have it written at home somewhere.
I'm trying to raise sexys and sorry I pulled the kreisel apart recently since all the larvae died and have no photos of it.
I do plan on building a new one though.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually make the screen mesh as wide as possible, just small enough for the larvae not to go through. If you make the screen so fine that copepods and Artemia nauplii can't pass you will run into problems. Even the 500 µm screen I use for my fish larvae clogs up quickly.

Last edited:

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
baby brine come in different sizes. about 300 is typical but there is a smaller version that runs about 220-250 and of course a larger verson that runs 400. the other thing is length is different than width.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
baby brine come in different sizes. about 300 is typical but there is a smaller version that runs about 220-250 and of course a larger verson that runs 400. the other thing is length is different than width.
Is the given size is generally the length? The dimension of interest for the mesh and the mouth gape would be the front profile width or body diameter

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the given size is generally the length? The dimension of interest for the mesh and the mouth gape would be the front profile width or body diameter
Exactly. I guess I didn't make my point clear. Those dimensions usually are the length. While not all the shrimp will swim head first through the hole you have to have a smaller micron setting to keep most of them in. I find about 160 keeps most in depending on the force of the flow of the water and the direction of flow. a kreisel setup has more circlular flow so the items aren't really pushed into the mesh. I've found most of the netting I use to try anything like this end up growing algae and not allowing enough flow of water.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually make the screen mesh as wide as possible, just small enough for the larvae not to go through. If you make the screen so fine that copepods and Artemia nauplii can't pass you will run into problems. Even the 500 µm screen I use for my fish larvae clogs up quickly.
Did you have issues with the BBS escaping the rearing tank? My previous rearing tank had bigger holed mesh and almost all of the BBS kept on being pushed out of the rearing part of the tank pretty soon. Might've had something to do with a bad design though.

Thanks! I guess I'll set 220~250 as the minimum and see if I can go any bigger.
I have 2 types of brine shrimp cysts and they did look quite different in size after they hatch.

Exactly. I guess I didn't make my point clear. Those dimensions usually are the length. While not all the shrimp will swim head first through the hole you have to have a smaller micron setting to keep most of them in. I find about 160 keeps most in depending on the force of the flow of the water and the direction of flow. a kreisel setup has more circlular flow so the items aren't really pushed into the mesh. I've found most of the netting I use to try anything like this end up growing algae and not allowing enough flow of water.
Algae growth on the mesh is something I haven't thought of. Guess I'll have to think of a way to deal with it. (no light etc)

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have issues with the BBS escaping the rearing tank? My previous rearing tank had bigger holed mesh and almost all of the BBS kept on being pushed out of the rearing part of the tank pretty soon. Might've had something to do with a bad design though.
I don't care. I usually don't run mechanical filtration so the bbs that slip through the mesh get pumped right back into the larvae compartment.
But you could run a fine sponge filter in the pump compartment. Those usually don't catch the bbs out.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care. I usually don't run mechanical filtration so the bbs that slip through the mesh get pumped right back into the larvae compartment.
But you could run a fine sponge filter in the pump compartment. Those usually don't catch the bbs out.
Thanks ThRoewer

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back