How big did your clam(s) get and how long did you own them?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’ve recently been looking into the clams (Tridacninae). Im mainly looking at T. maxima and T. crocea however if you owned any of the other clams, I’d love to know the answer to this too!!
My tank is a 20g Red Sea Max Nano, in the coming year I plan to try add a clam. The question is:
1. what would be better suited for the tank
2. how long did it take for your clam to get to the size it did
3. how big did your clam get and how big do you expect it to get
4. where in the rockwork did you put your clam?

Here’s a photo of my tank and the placement options that are open once I get everything stable again, I plan for easier acros but mostly beige softies & the odd beige stick (Acro/SPS). I thought a clam would be a nice way to add colour so what do you think?
image.jpg
image.jpg

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
T.crocea would be better for that tank size, as they stay smaller. beyond that i cannot provide much more information as i do not have experience with them

i do believe you should think about improving water parameters as i see cyano/diatoms(maybe dinos). clams require good water quality.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T.crocea would be better for that tank size, as they stay smaller. beyond that i cannot provide much more information as i do not have experience with them

i do believe you should think about improving water parameters as i see cyano/diatoms(maybe dinos). clams require good water quality.
Yeah, I’m dealing with that at the moment (I’ve been battling Cyano for two years - for many different reasons). At the moment its phos so I changed the rowaphos to a clean lot of it.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to keep Acros you def. need more flow as already mentioned above.
The bullseye there is not enough flow..

Ive got the same tank and ai cannot even imagine only having this bullseye return pump flow tbh.

I am thinking of getting a third flow option tbh.

Attachments

• 350A4088-226F-4373-A5CD-3BFA81A77C90.jpeg
    350A4088-226F-4373-A5CD-3BFA81A77C90.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 59

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a T. deresa in a 20 gallon and in about 3/4 of a year it has gone from 2” to about 5”. It will probably need a new home next year lol. I’ve had croceas and maximas in the past and both imo are more difficult than deresas. They need more light and generally prefer to be placed on rocks as they’re rock boring clams. I’d definitely get your algae issues under control before getting a clam, especially a max or Crocea as they usually aren’t cheap. I’d also get a clam over 2” as I’ve had abysmal luck with under 2” clams.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mimosa clam, definitely has gained in size and weight. It’s in a 34 g tank,purchased when PEA was offering them, 3-4 yrs ago. It’s tan and blue with teal lines running through it. Photo gives an idea of the size now.
6A4B44FB-E0F5-4D2B-9941-ABCC0135E89B.jpeg

Back