How big is to big for a desktop aquarium

samiam2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
Considering building a 10 to 15 gallon reef tank this winter. Anyone know a general rule of thumb or limit for desktop aquariums? I have a massive dresser I am thinking of putting the aquarium on, but I don't know the weight it will support. Anyone know if there is a way to figure out the weight a dresser can hold?
Thanks,
Samuel

OP
OP
S

samiam2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
Considering building a 10 to 15 gallon reef tank this winter. Anyone know a general rule of thumb or limit for desktop aquariums? I have a massive dresser I am thinking of putting the aquarium on, but I don't know the weight it will support. Anyone know if there is a way to figure out the weight a dresser can hold?
Thanks,
Samuel
Sorry, also, do you guys know of any good budget auto top off systems? Could I use one of those float valve switches?
Thanks

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium volume calculator

This will give you an estimate on total weight. Simplest option would be to load that much weight on it, maybe a bit more, and see if it holds. Big question is what the dresser is made out of and how it’s framed. I had a 29 gallon freshwater tank on a dresser before without any issues, but not all furniture is built the same.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you contact the manufacturer or look up the model of the dresser online? If it's an older, solid wood dresser in good condition, there's a good chance it'll hold a decent amount of weight (enough for a small reef). But I'd be hesitant about using any of the cheaper particle board dressers. Even if the particle board setup claims it will support ~200 lbs, inevitable moisture from the tank will compromise the integrity and put your setup at risk. It's also essential to make sure everything is level.

I have an EVO 13.5 on my counter top. The tank weighs nearly 150lbs full of rock, water, and equipment. I wouldn't put it on top of a dresser unless it was a level, hardwood, high quality dresser.

Re: ATO - I use the Tunze 3152 for my tank (with the float). It's perfectly fine.

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 gallons is the largest size I would go with. Anything else is going to have a very big footprint and will be too heavy for most store bought furniture

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the furniture really.
I have a cabinet for my 120's equipment that I would not put a 10 gal on without significant reinforcement.
In the past I had a 55 on a very stout dresser for several years with no issues.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
istockphoto-77188109-1024x1024.jpg
I will say this size is perfect
"Zoom call this...."

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back