How big is your Quarantine Tank ? Show Us Your QT ?

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally planning to set-up a proper Quarantine Tank, and I'd like to see what others are doing for QT. Please share photos, and describe tank size and set-up.

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This shows how cloudy a QT can get when you start mixing meds:

If on the same day, or within the same week you buy two fish - do you put them in the same QT tank together until you see signs of illness, or do you put them in separate QT tanks from the start, which would mean you need to have more than one QT tank up and running.

Also, what size is your QT tank ?

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a small tank as a quarantine tank, but since I don't use it often, I use it primarily as a pod farm. I have live rock which the tisbe pods live on. I remove a piece of rock from main tanks sump and trade it for the rock in the quarantine tank thereby assuring a strong pod population. The tank is cloudy because I just fed the tank.
71678c81ff696c56fc82c2c2cf69d25c.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If on the same day, or within the same week you buy two fish - do you put them in the same QT tank together until you see signs of illness, or do you put them in separate QT tanks from the start, which would mean you need to have more than one QT tank up and running.

I strongly prefer to QT fish in batches. Meaning, they all come from the same source (online or LFS) and go into QT at the same time. This helps alleviate aggression and limits the number of diseases coming from different sources. I don't like adding more fish to the "batch" after the fact.

Also, what size is your QT tank ?

In the videos above, 10 gal QT. But for larger fish I like to use a 20L or 29 gal.

120reefermadnes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 10gal starter kit that comes with everything needed(HOB filter, heater, lid with led lights)I ordered cupramine but i have salifert copper test kit....i have read I need the seachem copper test kit when using cupramine, will my salifert test kit work?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 10gal starter kit that comes with everything needed(HOB filter, heater, lid with led lights)I ordered cupramine but i have salifert copper test kit....i have read I need the seachem copper test kit when using cupramine, will my salifert test kit work?

Yes, it will.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you need to quarantine and treat copper? [emoji4]
I am quarunteening some coral so coral can't tolerate copper hence I have another tank for the copper....copper tank has 3 fish in it, qt has 2 and 2 shrimp...and coral....I was treating the clowns in qt with metro so they are in my next batch to go through copper.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally run a 40-Breeder as QT, but am currently working on upgrading my 65gallon DT to a 220. Seriously considering re-QT-ing all of my fish from the display, as I want to add a couple of tangs down the line, and at least one would be a powder blue. Got a 75 not really doing anything, so . . .

From above, you can see the two Aqua-Clear 110s - one currently has two sponges in it, the other is empty. Its sponge and ceramic noodles are in the sump of my DT, collecting bacteria. Eggcrate cut to shape, black plastic trash bags taped 'round the tank for the privacy of its current primary resident. There's also a powerhead with a venturi mounted on the left end, shooting down the length of the tank.
20170228_173125.jpg

View from the front with the plastic bags pulled back, showing decor, heater, ammonia badge, etc.
20170228_173239.jpg

I've been using a Kordon chelated copper product (because it's locally available) called "Safe Copper-Aid". The instructions are for one teaspoon (5ml) per 4 gallons, and the four-ounce bottle claims to treat 100 gallons. So far, over the last five days, I've dumped two and a half of those bottles into the tank (25ml at a time), and my API test kit shows the level approching 1.0ppm. I think it might be time to look for CopperSafe online . . .

~Bruce, who has reached out to Kordon for answers

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately have a 10 QT right now but will be changing it to a 20 QT soon..
Why? My invert QT is a 20g. It was my fish QT until I replaced it with a 10g. The 10g QT is just so much easier to use!

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an extra 40 gallon breeder I was thinking of using as my fish QT tank, but I thought maybe that was too big.
Perhaps I should go down to 10 gallons or 20 gallons for QT. What do you guys think ?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back