How big is your Quarantine Tank ? Show Us Your QT ?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly are you guys QTing on corals and inverts ? They carry disease too ?
I QT the inverts to protect the fish from disease like ich and velvet. When ich or velvet detaches from the fish it forms a cyst on any hard surface where it reproduces. Snail shells are a great place for this to happen. So, I QT them for long enough to get the parasite to hatch and then starve out before they go into my tank.
Any rock or frag plugs from coral can also be used by parasites to attach. Even though I Bayer dip my corals when I get them and try to clean them up as much as possible, I know that coral predators can make it through. So, I keep the coral in my QT to make sure no coral pests hatch and infect my DT.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have up to 4 identical tanks that can be used. All are 20g. Here are two of them running.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I QT the inverts to protect the fish from disease like ich and velvet. When ich or velvet detaches from the fish it forms a cyst on any hard surface where it reproduces. Snail shells are a great place for this to happen. So, I QT them for long enough to get the parasite to hatch and then starve out before they go into my tank.
Any rock or frag plugs from coral can also be used by parasites to attach. Even though I Bayer dip my corals when I get them and try to clean them up as much as possible, I know that coral predators can make it through. So, I keep the coral in my QT to make sure no coral pests hatch and infect my DT.

Gotcha ! Thanks for explaining that.
I guess I never really considered that hitch - hikers and disease could come in on corals and inverts. I was always only worried about the fish.
I will get a second tank for the corals and inverts. Thanks for the heads up !

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does everyone keep your QT running all the time or just when needed? If just as needed are you able to just seed the sponge in the filter with biospira or dr tims? Also if using an aquaclear do you need to dispose of the ceramic rings and sponges after dosing copper or meds and the fish are in the DT?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does everyone keep your QT running all the time or just when needed? If just as needed are you able to just seed the sponge in the filter with biospira or dr tims? Also if using an aquaclear do you need to dispose of the ceramic rings and sponges after dosing copper or meds and the fish are in the DT?
I only run them when needed. Once I get the last fish out I dump in some bleach and let it circulate for a few hours. Then I drain everything, throw away the sponge, and let it all dry out. I do reuse the ceramic media. Then the tank and equipment goes into a garbage bag in garage to keep it fairly clean until I need it again.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an extra 40 gallon breeder I was thinking of using as my fish QT tank, but I thought maybe that was too big.
Perhaps I should go down to 10 gallons or 20 gallons for QT. What do you guys think ?

What size/kind of fish are you wanting to QT?

I only setup QTs as needed. The important part is always keeping plenty of bio-media (ex. sponges) going down in your DT sump, so nitrifying bacteria is constantly coming into contact with it. You can setup an all-new QT, but so long as your sponge has been stewing down in the DT sump for a month or two then you won't have to go thru a cycle.

I just throw those ceramic rings out because I worry about them absorbing medications.

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run them when needed. Once I get the last fish out I dump in some bleach and let it circulate for a few hours. Then I drain everything, throw away the sponge, and let it all dry out. I do reuse the ceramic media. Then the tank and equipment goes into a garbage bag in garage to keep it fairly clean until I need it again.
Thats kind of what i was thinking seems like a waste to keep it up all the time, but i was confused on keeping it cycled and all.

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 10g and 1 20g tanks I use for TTM as needed. I have a BioCube 29 that I use for coral QT/frag grow out/fish observation after TTM which is set up permanently. I take turns between getting new fish and getting new coral/inverts. I know that if a fish has a problem, I'll have to leave the tank fallow, but I do that for new coral anyway.

Travis Rider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does everyone use a small powerhead in your QT? I have a 10G that I have set up currently. I have a HOB that is rated for a 25-30 gal tank. I was just wondering about water movement because I have stuff just sitting on the glass bottom. What are your thoughts?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does everyone use a small powerhead in your QT? I have a 10G that I have set up currently. I have a HOB that is rated for a 25-30 gal tank. I was just wondering about water movement because I have stuff just sitting on the glass bottom. What are your thoughts?
I don't run a powerhead in my 10g QT but I use an HOB designed for a 40g tank.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It depends on your needs. You don't have to start with one in there, but if you find that you need to add O2 to the tank, it's a good option to have at hand.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally planning to set-up a proper Quarantine Tank, and I'd like to see what others are doing for QT. Please share photos, and describe tank size and set-up.

I have 2 10 gallon tanks, 2 heaters, 2 nano powerheads, 2 pvc creations for tank transfer. I have a 20 long for observation. After tank transfer.

Eventually I will get a tang or 2, and buy them small so they should be ok in the 20 long for 14 days. By small, I mean 1-1.5".

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know theres tons of info here on qt that i have read through but im guna ask anyway. Is it better to qt just for observation at first or "medicate" anyway to treat things that may be there. If just observing is it necessary to wait longer than 4 weeks if the fish appear happy and healthy? I know im piggy backing off this thread just want to make sure im doing stuff correctly when i get to that point.

Travis Rider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know theres tons of info here on qt that i have read through but im guna ask anyway. Is it better to qt just for observation at first or "medicate" anyway to treat things that may be there. If just observing is it necessary to wait longer than 4 weeks if the fish appear happy and healthy? I know im piggy backing off this thread just want to make sure im doing stuff correctly when i get to that point.

I tried the 'observation' piece and now my fish are in qt a second round for ich. I will be treating no matter what going forward.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do tank transfer for all fish, except wrasse. Then 14-21 days of observation following TTM. Knock on wood, have never had Ich in my tank.

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the 'observation' piece and now my fish are in qt a second round for ich. I will be treating no matter what going forward.
I suppose thats probably the best way to go unless you really know what your looking for ( i sure dont lol)
I do tank transfer for all fish, except wrasse. Then 14-21 days of observation following TTM. Knock on wood, have never had Ich in my tank.
I like the idea of the TTM i was just trying to avoid it as it looks like a pain.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back