How big is your Quarantine Tank ? Show Us Your QT ?

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read somewhere that you should always locate your QT tank "away" from any other tanks that you have so that airborne illnesses and parasites will not contaminate your other tanks. I also read that it's good to use separate QT tanks for your fish and corals. That means a minimum of two QT tanks. So with that being said, where do you guys put your QT tanks if they can't be in the same room with your other tanks ?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I read somewhere that you should always locate your QT tank "away" from any other tanks that you have so that airborne illnesses and parasites will not contaminate your other tanks. I also read that it's good to use separate QT tanks for your fish and corals. That means a minimum of two QT tanks. So with that being said, where do you guys put your QT tanks if they can't be in the same room with your other tanks ?

I actually ended up moving mine. Here they are waiting on a fish order.

image.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh and I added more water to the one on the end. HA!

FoxReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard 20g painted black. I understand the rock and sand can be detrimental and absorb some medications but I felt the benefits of not having a cycle (rock came from sump) and comfort outweighed the downside.

IMG_1750.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My display is in a wall, but sits in a bedroom. The coral QT is in the livingroom completely separate from the display. Any fish QT's that will be set up, will be in the fish room with the display but I'm working on a way to separate them adequately enough to keep my mind at ease.

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display is in a wall, but sits in a bedroom. The coral QT is in the livingroom completely separate from the display. Any fish QT's that will be set up, will be in the fish room with the display but I'm working on a way to separate them adequately enough to keep my mind at ease.

DT is in the family/TV room, grow out tank is in the living room, TTM tanks get the guest bedroom and the DR. I've got 2 fish in separate grow out tanks and one in TTM, and the husband is using the dining room for his projects (the nerve!) so we were really scratching our heads about where to put the second TTM tank. Ended up in the hallway as far away from the draft of the front door as we could get. Strictly speaking it's not 10 feet from the other tanks but they are around corners so I figure that helps.

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put a glass top on the QTs do you think that would be adequate enough to keep anything from becoming airborne and spreading to the other tanks in the room ?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made mine mobile since it's not always running. It can also be used as a frag tank when needed. Currently has a CBB in it doing its thing!

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been reading the QT should be away from main tanks ,even prior to this thread - Shoot!! I set my system up last year and have my QT right next to my sump. I will have out figure out something else now. I wonder if having covers on the QT and on the sump makes any difference? Probably not - as you have to take the covers off now and again.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put a glass top on the QTs do you think that would be adequate enough to keep anything from becoming airborne and spreading to the other tanks in the room ?

It's not a good idea for two reasons.
1. as mentioned above you have to remove the glass lids occasionally for cleaning and feeding.
2. It prevents gas exchange which can be detrimental when treating with medications like copper, prazi and antibiotics which will basically suck up oxygen in the water.

Travis Rider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a good idea for two reasons.
1. as mentioned above you have to remove the glass lids occasionally for cleaning and feeding.
2. It prevents gas exchange which can be detrimental when treating with medications like copper, prazi and antibiotics which will basically suck up oxygen in the water.

So should you leave a lid off of your QT at least leave a portion uncovered? I run my QT with standard hood. What is your suggestion with that, leave the lid up or run with it down?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should you leave a lid off of your QT at least leave a portion uncovered? I run my QT with standard hood. What is your suggestion with that, leave the lid up or run with it down?

I usually use a screen top. I made some out of window screen kits from Home depot. It was cheap. I'll be making new ones for my next foray into adding fish.

If you don't have any fish known for jumping, then leaving the door open might be fine... but there is still a risk

Edit: Having an air pump pushing outside air into the QT may help quite a bit in these cases.

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Remora skimmer on my 40 cube QT. I have glass cover over about 3/4 of the top and then use 1/4 thick plexiglass over the rest with a 6 inch x 2 inch "cut out" where the skimmer hangs on tank - so allows for the water to exit the skimmer and drop into the tank water several inches down. Not that the QT really needs a skimmer - but I use it for gas exchange ,etc. I also use this opening in the cover to put food into the tank.

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 10gal starter kit that comes with everything needed(HOB filter, heater, lid with led lights)I ordered cupramine but i have salifert copper test kit....i have read I need the seachem copper test kit when using cupramine, will my salifert test kit work?

Old post, but where did you buy it from?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back