How can i be sure black ich has disappeared

stunnaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello i was wondering how long it’d take for black ich spots to disappear after 2 weeks of treating prazipro (assuming it worked obviously). Do the spots remain for a period of time after the 2 week period then slowly disappear? How long until they disappear? Any input is appreciated thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello i was wondering how long it’d take for black ich spots to disappear after 2 weeks of treating prazipro (assuming it worked obviously). Do the spots remain for a period of time after the 2 week period then slowly disappear? How long until they disappear? Any input is appreciated thanks.
Visually it will be gone and fish will look and act normal with breathing, feeding and activity

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no specific time frame after the period of time of medication ? They should just slowly disappear?

The turbellarians are under the skin, and after they die, it does take some time for the fish's body to get rid of them. Watch for NEW spots showing up, that is a better indication that a treatment didn't work.

Jay

OP
OP
S

stunnaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The turbellarians are under the kin, and after they die, it does take some time for the fish's body to get rid of them. Watch for NEW spots showing up, that is a better indication that a treatment didn't work.

Jay
Hi i believe i am noticing new black spots on the Male , what would this indicate? What should i proceed with?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i believe i am noticing new black spots on the Male , what would this indicate? What should i proceed with?
I know everyone says use praziquantel to treat black ich, but I’m not so hot on the idea. Praziquantel is effective against external flukes and internal cestodes. It works by causing the worms to let go of the fish, it doesn’t kill the worms, they just can’t reattach. Black ich is caused by a turbellarian worm, a different species. Also, bleach ich lives in a cyst, so prazi won’t cause it to let go.
Black ich is sometimes self limiting, it goes away on its own. I use formalin dips to control it - 100 ppm with good aeration for 30 to 45 minutes.
Jay

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back