How can I disguise my bright white epoxy

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! lately I've been working on securing my live rock in place which is already underwater using the white A+B epoxy. I just got my first hard coral so I wanted to make sure the rocks were stable so I used a little extra. What can I do to make it look a little more natural and blend in where it's visible? All advice is appreciated because I'm new to this.
Thanks!

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! lately I've been working on securing my live rock in place which is already underwater using the white A+B epoxy. I just got my first hard coral so I wanted to make sure the rocks were stable so I used a little extra. What can I do to make it look a little more natural and blend in where it's visible? All advice is appreciated because I'm new to this.
Thanks!
Do nothing... give it time and the natural fauna of the tank will cover it .....

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
Hello there and welcome to the hobby! To be honest there is no way to manually disguise the epoxy. Over time it will slowly start to be covered in algae which will give it a more natural appearance. In the past, I have used purple epoxy to kind of disguise it. But there really isn't anything to do if you have already used the white epoxy.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I have no problem waiting...I just didn't know if there was one last step I left out...I'm pretty excited about everything coming together so nicely!

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I use white epoxy that shows, or even marco cement, I take a wood meat skewer and poke a bunch of holes on the surface, Makes it look like a sponge. In the photo I had a piece of branch rock with a broke off end. Put epoxy on the end, rounded it over, and punched a bunch of holes in the surface to blend it in.

IMG_20210524_121021.jpg

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I use white epoxy that shows, or even marco cement, I take a wood meat skewer and poke a bunch of holes on the surface, Makes it look like a sponge. In the photo I had a piece of branch rock with a broke off end. Put epoxy on the end, rounded it over, and punched a bunch of holes in the surface to blend it in.

IMG_20210524_121021.jpg
That's a good idea!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20210524_121021.jpg
This is a great move that I've never thought about.

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20210524_121021.jpg
Awesome.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve taken sand from the tank and pressed it into the epoxy while it’s still wet. Covers it nicely!

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get small pieces of rock rubble and stick it into the epoxy ( ovbiously rock rubble needs be colour you wanting) or glue it onto the rocks close to where the white epoxy shows and cover the white epoxy with smallest rock rubble you can

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20210524_121021.jpg
That's a good idea!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your creative ideas...I would have never thought about some of them!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back