How can I get clowns to host anemone?

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW someone made a comment about the natural relationship in the ocean between types of clowns and nems.

When i had a Gig Carpet, my Osc and Perc clown fish INSTANTLY (or within 24 hours) went to be hosted by the Gig Carpet nem. every time. This was the case in 3 different tanks with 3 different sets of clown fish.

But i've also always had them eventually host in BTA's too. I've never had a tank with clowns and a BTA for more than 6 months that just "never hosted" but I always do my net trick too?

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Id say you may not want them to they really hurt the nem and can even kill it they almost killed two of mine with corals

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could always try taping a picture of clownfish hosting in an anemone on the side of the tank, read of some people having luck doing that. Also read of a picture of a lion fish as well. Not a natural host anemone for them so could take a long time if ever
I did this and my clowns started hosting within minutes

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two tank-raised ocellaris will also not take any interest in the RBTA. At the moment the overflow is hosting them and has since the day I put them in the tank. I've tried hours of nem/cloud video footage right near their overflow spot, nothing. I've tried netting them and releasing next to the nem, they swim right past it (and even touch it in the process of 'escaping'.)

The only thing I haven't tried is taking the clowns/nem out and isolating them in a floating basket. This seems like it has a decent chance of working but also seems like the biggest stressor on all the animals, so I haven't given it a go.

Being patient is so difficult!

NigelRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bonded pair of snowflake clowns that are hosting the empty bottom corner of my tank, when I have a fat, fluffy BTA for them to enjoy. I have tried catching the fish and putting them directly onto the nem as well as herding them toward it, but they swim away without a moment's hesitation.

How can I get them to host this dang anemone?!

ETA: I only tried once, because I don't want to stress them out, but if there's anything I can do to encourage them to leave their corner and get symbiotic, I'd love some tips!

EAE2570C-071E-4D48-A586-B03346B74A44.jpeg

E51F2AEE-968E-450E-B2AE-B19E2EAEA808.gif
I have nothing useful to add... apart from to say that I'm glad i'm not the only one with this problem.

My two clowns seem far too happy hanging out in the corner of my tank with my Nero3 and some black glasss walls.

Rest of the tank with corals everywhere - not interested...

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need to get an airhorn like for a basketball game, and deploy it at them when they're on the wrong side of the tank. there's a study where operant conditioning may work in marine fish
And there I was thinking they just need more cowbell. ;Hilarious

Lookabill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair that also seemed to have no intrest in hosting for 1 year +...lost one of my clowns (jumped) and the single made my bta home about a week later. Sad but glad

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Play video of your type of clowns hosting the type of bem you have.

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not going to force fish to host an anemone. Catching the fish and placing them on it is only going to stress the poor things out. Leave them alone and let them host the corner if they want to. If they feel like hosting the anemone later they will.
The poor things?!? Do you put your hand in the tank and get bit by one of the bad attitude clowns?!? Mine do!!! Lol Angry little buggers they are!!!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took me over 2 years and a few hundred in anemone.

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned clowns and nems for my entire saltwater keeping span of about 20 years... Its been 50/50 for me on them hosting with nems... my current black and white ocellaris were hanging out next to a powerhead for the longest time... while I have 2 really nice sized rose nems... Did some trickery for the first time and they both hosted within 2 weeks of doing it... They barely leave the rose news to eat now!!!

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned clowns and nems for my entire saltwater keeping span of about 20 years... Its been 50/50 for me on them hosting with nems... my current black and white ocellaris were hanging out next to a powerhead for the longest time... while I have 2 really nice sized rose nems... Did some trickery for the first time and they both hosted within 2 weeks of doing it... They barely leave the rose news to eat now!!!
What trickery pray tell?

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my clowns in November and my BTA in March. The Anemone split into three large individuals about two months ago. The clowns(6) now fight over the anemones. It's like trying to force you out of your home to a place across the street. Not gonna happen until you actually decide you want to do it.

Back