how can i get my anthias to act “normal”?

salt creap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 75g display with a 20g sump that is a new born system (3months old) took down my old system to move three years ago and daughter was born-so glad to be back reefing! tmi …so i cycled the tank with just a 1inch damsel, two nassarius, and 5mexican turbo snails. a month ago i put in three female lyretail anthias (indonesian) at first the the two dominant females fought off and on about 1 week and now they all just hide under rocks on the bottom like scared blennies! they come out to eat a piece of brine shrimp at a time and dart back to rock work as fast as possible and usually whip past some of my euphyllia collection which ticks them off of course. iv had a harem of square backs before and they schooled nicely, same lights kessil 350&360 tunas, and rock. i appreciate any advice, i was contemplating buying a male to maybe coax them out more or maybe another type of fish that can inspire confidence? unfortunately im not a huge fan of wrasse or tangs as i always get the crazy ones that pick at coral and nobody hurts my babies! thanks all!

A8157C0F-E23F-4E98-B64F-9C5BA062DEE5.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Anthias are bashful at first
Lower white light intensity for a couple of weeks which will make them more relaxed

OP
OP
salt creap

salt creap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your totally right they do come out when i have the lunar on now that you mention it, but i have so much fresh coral atm i cant stress out…i can always get more rock or maybe add another female-3 isn’t that many but its only a 75g idk -thank you for the response

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your totally right they do come out when i have the lunar on now that you mention it, but i have so much fresh coral atm i cant stress out…i can always get more rock or maybe add another female-3 isn’t that many but its only a 75g idk -thank you for the response
I wouldn’t, they tend to whittle it down to 1 or 2 anyway in captivity. What coral is in the tank at the moment?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They take their time acclimating and getting comfortable. Give them time. They will also settle down as more fish are present.
They are the dither fish on the reef, so they are out and dart in when they sense danger (they alert others). Right now they are just unsure of what danger is and is not. Leave lights low if you do not yet have corals and give them time.

OP
OP
salt creap

salt creap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t, they tend to whittle it down to 1 or 2 anyway in captivity. What coral is in the tank at the moment?
yea looks like i need patience hah i get into trouble jumpn the gun sometimes! as for coral left side with high par monti digitatas & a stylocoeniella, right side leptoseris, 24k octospawn, leptastria, goniopora, hammer, joker torch, blue torch, acan lords, ricordia, couple christmas trees, chalice, and cant wait to get back to my local farm -told my wife i would wait “a bit”

OP
OP
salt creap

salt creap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still no luck getting these anthias out of my rocks- looks like a have no fish! so i am trying to think of a solution as iv tried everything i can except adding a couple more anthias orrr possibly like three chromos thinking they might school and coax them out displaying the lack of danger …its been a month & 1/2 of hiding!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back