How can I get my Blue tang to eat Nori?

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fat healthy Blue tang that basically ignores the nori I put in the tank for him. The only ones that eat it are the cleaner shrimp and they tear it up in pieces causing a big mess. How can I get my tang to go nuts on this?

He eat mysis (9:00am), brine (1:00pm), and pellets (5:00pm) on a typical day.

Should I starve him to make him eat it?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If by blue tang you mean what is also called a hippo tang, then I wouldn't worry to much. They are planktivores rather than algaevores, so it isn't a required part of it's diet, like it would be for other tangs.

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use an algae clip or rubber band it to a piece of rubble rock and place on or near the rockwork ? It may recognize it as food better if it is not clip. It could also be the type/flavor your using as well. Julian Sprung Purple seems to be my tanks mates favorite.

Lastly, you can try the hikari seaweed extreme pellets if it's already eating some type of pellet food.

OP
OP
USMC 4 LIFE

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use an algae clip or rubber band it to a piece of rubble rock and place on or near the rockwork ? It may recognize it as food better if it is not clip. It could also be the type/flavor your using as well. Julian Sprung Purple seems to be my tanks mates favorite.

Lastly, you can try the hikari seaweed extreme pellets if it's already eating some type of pellet food.

Oh ok. I was under the impression that they needed it as well. I'll offer him a small piece once a week then

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you feed a lot , but do you fold your Nori up tight and attach to a clip, then suspend it mid-tank? Or wrap it around a rock for the bottom? I suspend it, but I feed every other day, once a day, 20 fish
I feed Nori as a treat, but only on off days, always suspended.
FWIW, my dog won't eat kibble either, after she eats steak the nite before!

OP
OP
USMC 4 LIFE

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you feed a lot , but do you fold your Nori up tight and attach to a clip, then suspend it mid-tank? Or wrap it around a rock for the bottom? I suspend it, but I feed every other day, once a day, 20 fish
I feed Nori as a treat, but only on off days, always suspended.
FWIW, my dog won't eat kibble either, after she eats steak the nite before!

The portions I feed aren't large. So I don't feed a lot. I feed often.

I have wrapped it on a rock with a rubber band and have tried putting it on a clip where he frequently swims and lives.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The portions I feed aren't large. So I don't feed a lot. I feed often.

I have wrapped it on a rock with a rubber band and have tried putting it on a clip where he frequently swims and lives.
Try skipping a day, I had a hard time converting a wild Seahorse to frozen from Live, but skipping a day or two got him to eat. Now, over a year later, my Seahorse eats everything frozen, he will not eat dry foods at all

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's fat and healthy I wouldn't worry about it, no need to force him to eat something he doesn't like if it really doesn't need it. I would just keep feeding him what he likes.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's fat and healthy I wouldn't worry about it, no need to force him to eat something he doesn't like if it really doesn't need it. I would just keep feeding him what he likes.

I agree here^^^^. Also, when I had my sailfin as the only tang in the tank he wouldn't eat it either. As soon as I put other fish in the tank that started eating it then he went after it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back