How can I get rid of sponges?

Snyderman3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a sponge growing on my acan coral that was causing it to pull off of it skeleton I removed the coral and cut off the sponge and dipped the coral but now I have noticed more sponges in hard to reach places I was wondering if there is a way to get rid of them in the display tank with maybe a fish or invert that would eat them?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they the typical white ones, pineapple sponges? They usually go away on their own, they will come and go and are rarely any harm to anything.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sponges are more common with new systems depending on the age and how long it’s been set up .

there are some types of fish such as angelfish that are supposed to eat it .

imo : leave the sponge and continue doing as you are . It will either take over or go away in time but . Sponges generally grow in low light areas .
do you have a picture ?

OP
OP
S

Snyderman3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they the typical white ones, pineapple sponges? They usually go away on their own, they will come and go and are rarely any harm to anything.
I think so they are white and look like it but the one on my coral I removed looked like one big one most of the pictures of pineapple sponges there are multiple separately defined but mine was like all together but the other few I see in hard to reach places are just a small individual ones I will post a pic of the one that was killing my coral.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest thing is they thrive on low light. Manual removal was a good bet here. They like shadows and caves and crevices that shield them from the light. Just remove the ones you think are harming your corals and id let the rest be, they are filter feeders so as they use up nutrients they will die off.

OP
OP
S

Snyderman3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sponges are more common with new systems depending on the age and how long it’s been set up .

there are some types of fish such as angelfish that are supposed to eat it .

imo : leave the sponge and continue doing as you are . It will either take over or go away in time but . Sponges generally grow in low light areas .
do you have a picture ?
My tank is probably 6-7 months old
F3DE06C2-C093-452C-8D50-D73584A68CE0.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Snyderman3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest thing is they thrive on low light. Manual removal was a good bet here. They like shadows and caves and crevices that shield them from the light. Just remove the ones you think are harming your corals and id let the rest be, they are filter feeders so as they use up nutrients they will die off.
Okay and yes they are all in darker spots I just wasn’t sure if they were going to explode and take over that’s why I wanted to try to get rid of them
F2C47527-7E6F-4F57-ACD8-265BA57048EB.jpeg

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope! Just remove the ones you dont like and then leave it be, they are harmless! And they will control their own population.

OP
OP
S

Snyderman3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope! Just remove the ones you dont like and then leave it be, they are harmless! And they will control their own population.
I wouldn’t say they are harmless they were killing a coral but as long as they aren’t going to take over then I will just worry about ones by coral

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say they are harmless they were killing a coral but as long as they aren’t going to take over then I will just worry about ones by coral
Technically they don't kill corals, but can irritate them, sometimes to the point of receding flesh and subsequent illness.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%

Back