How can I improve my aqua scape

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could go all the way and drill the rock for stability and use fiberglass rod. I've used that technique for many of a tank build. Even with live rock/wet.

1/4" masonry bit and some fiberglass driveway markers from one of the big box hardware stores. Why fiberglass driveway markers? They're cheap!

Stack your rock work the way you want it, take some of the rock out in drill a hole into the rocks like puzzle pieces. Cut the fiberglass rod to its proper length to assemble the two rocks together. Repeat.

This keeps all the rocks from collapsing or falling.

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above. I would get rid of the aiptasia not the rock. It has a bunch if other cool critters you want to keep. Peppermint shrimp, manual removal ect.. and as far as aqua scape, I'd make it taller but I do like the caves and overhangs you've already established in the pics above.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you have doesn't look bad. I just prefer more rock
IMG_2577.gif
... :)

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everything @Flippers4pups and @Peace River said. As far as the peppermint shrimp go, I've had quite a bit of success with them taking out the small aptasia that invariably pop up, but they won't touch the big ones. Others have had zero success with them. Kind of hit or miss. I would definitely isolated the GSP from the main rockwork. I've kept it for a long time and it needs to be trimmed back occasionally to keep it under control. I've never kept Xenia. It kind of scares me. I'll leave that to someone with more experience.

Oh, and to @CasaReefer. Seems to me you are a valuable member of our community, and I enjoy our interactions. But then what do I know? ;)

klimfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would throw the Aiptasia rock away. order equivalent dry rock from BRS or reefcleaners, it's not worth the hassle. I left the hobby for 3 years due to an Aip outbreak, it was uncontrollable in a nano because the fish that eat them get way too large for a nano tank.

Use the new dry rock to give yourself a little more vertical satisfaction in your aquascape. I recommend looking up the rule of thirds and using that theory to apply to your scape, it worked great for me. Don't be afraid to change it 10000000 times.

bryanfuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would throw the Aiptasia rock away. order equivalent dry rock from BRS or reefcleaners, it's not worth the hassle. I left the hobby for 3 years due to an Aip outbreak, it was uncontrollable in a nano because the fish that eat them get way too large for a nano tank.

Use the new dry rock to give yourself a little more vertical satisfaction in your aquascape. I recommend looking up the rule of thirds and using that theory to apply to your scape, it worked great for me. Don't be afraid to change it 10000000 times.

I guess YRMV, but I had a really bad aiptasia outbreak in my 24G cube. I got a file fish and a peppermint shrimp and I couldn’t find a single one after a week. I think most/all of the work was done by the shrimp but who knows what my file fish was picking at when I wasn’t looking.

klimfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess YRMV, but I had a really bad aiptasia outbreak in my 24G cube. I got a file fish and a peppermint shrimp and I couldn’t find a single one after a week. I think most/all of the work was done by the shrimp but who knows what my file fish was picking at when I wasn’t looking.

Unfortunately at the time of my outbreak FileFish were nowhere to be found in the hobby. Things may be different now.

Also, I have a 14g (really 8g) cube, so really ANY fish is pushing it for me, and a temp solution hoping the LFS will take it back.

bryanfuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately at the time of my outbreak FileFish were nowhere to be found in the hobby. Things may be different now.

Also, I have a 14g (really 8g) cube, so really ANY fish is pushing it for me, and a temp solution hoping the LFS will take it back.

Ah, yeah that’s a lot smaller than mine. On the bright side my filefish was like $15 so I’m probably just going to give it back for no credit and be happy I cleared out my aiptasia for 15 bucks

klimfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, yeah that’s a lot smaller than mine. On the bright side my filefish was like $15 so I’m probably just going to give it back for no credit and be happy I cleared out my aiptasia for 15 bucks

15 bucks to remove aiptasia plus a couple drives might be the best removal deal out there really. :)

bryanfuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 bucks to remove aiptasia plus a couple drives might be the best removal deal out there really. :)

All that being said, in pretty sure it was the pep shrimp that did the work. My LFS has a separate tank with just peppermint shrimp and a ton of aiptasia to get them used to eating it.

Frank's Tanks

1 of 3 F-Aiptasia Creators
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please give my product a try!

OP
OP
Thereefdoc

Thereefdoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please give my product a try!

Thank you. I definitely will order some.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO your scape looks great -- it just depends on what you want in it. I have my rock halfway up because I want some corals that can get rather large and I want swimming space for tangs and angels. I also, from the advice of another reefer, (I'm not that smart ;) ), keep the rock centered and away from the back so that it is easier to reach behind to clean it and give the fish more room to swim around. But it all comes down to you and what you want -- just make certain you are looking at what you will have in the tank three years from now instead of right now.
Also... @Crabs McJones has a sticky thread on hitchhikers and Aiptasia is mentioned in it. I have used his suggestions in my own tank as they occasionally pop up and it works great. Plus it is just a good bit of reading for your day.

OP
OP
Thereefdoc

Thereefdoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO your scape looks great -- it just depends on what you want in it. I have my rock halfway up because I want some corals that can get rather large and I want swimming space for tangs and angels. I also, from the advice of another reefer, (I'm not that smart ;) ), keep the rock centered and away from the back so that it is easier to reach behind to clean it and give the fish more room to swim around. But it all comes down to you and what you want -- just make certain you are looking at what you will have in the tank three years from now instead of right now.
Also... @Crabs McJones has a sticky thread on hitchhikers and Aiptasia is mentioned in it. I have used his suggestions in my own tank as they occasionally pop up and it works great. Plus it is just a good bit of reading for your day.
I really don't know what I want to keep in the tank yet, maybe that's why the rockwork is bothering me. I know I want some softies, beginner SPS and an anemone. I also want a decent amount of fish swimming around. I already have a 2 spot bristle tooth and a clown pair, but I haven't decided what my next addition will be.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't know what I want to keep in the tank yet, maybe that's why the rockwork is bothering me. I know I want some softies, beginner SPS and an anemone. I also want a decent amount of fish swimming around. I already have a 2 spot bristle tooth and a clown pair, but I haven't decided what my next addition will be.
I'd make a stocking list based on what you are interested in and slowly move from easiest to the most difficult. Your aquascape depends much on the corals and type of fish you want to keep. Some fish eat corals. Some corals kill other corals. Some corals will take over your tank and some fish need a minimum amount of swimming space. So there needs to be a plan. This is done through research. Don't panic... this forum has many articles and threads that can help with that -- of course, forum members are willing to help too. All you have to do is ask. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back