How can I increase my chances of success with management?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of not quarantining my tank because I thought it was pointless. I wouldn’t quarantine inverts or corals for 76 days…so I thought diseases and parasites were guaranteed.

I have an 80 watt uv sterilizer (for 600 gallons) in my 250 gallon tank. I run 5 micron filter socks (although I think they stretched out by now and probably won’t filter anymore parasites).

I haven’t lost a fish yet, but my tangs get ich and drop it off, then get reinfected a few weeks later. And the cycle continues. Right now it looks like one of my fish had a reaction from flukes and I see another fish scratching against rocks.

Quarantine is not possible because I have around 30 fish (most small but some are quite large). There’s no way to tear down the tank and have multiple setups of quarantine. I really can’t afford to waste 76 days of babysitting these fish. I know I will have a massive die off from ammonia or reduced appetite from meds. It happened before when I tried to quarantine.

So it seems I’m stuck on management. I cannot remove any fish for dips or treatments without tearing down the tank. Should I run a diatom filter? What are my best options for parasite management? I don’t have Velvet because my fish would have died already. I’m thinking ich, flukes. Fish poops are not white nor stringy which rules out worms.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost most of my fish once now I’m on ich management. I’m just lucky that the fish are strong. I’ve had my yellow tang and scopas for over a year with ich now.
I can only suggest what we should all be already doing- quality food and quality water.
I feed three times a day
Only the strong survive ich management

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatom filter and uv sterilizer are good tools against ich management, I have no experience with these so non I could recommend unfortunately

kml505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat for over 2 years now in my 165 gallon. I just feed high quality food, use selcon 2-3x a week and ensure quality water. I have a UV running 24-7. Knock on wood, haven't had a fatality in over a year. I would recommend not adding anymore fishes bc they will introduce a new ich that you're fishes will have to grow immune to again. Good luck brother. It's definitely possible to have a beautiful reef tank and manage ich at the same time.

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of not quarantining my tank because I thought it was pointless. I wouldn’t quarantine inverts or corals for 76 days…so I thought diseases and parasites were guaranteed.

I have an 80 watt uv sterilizer (for 600 gallons) in my 250 gallon tank. I run 5 micron filter socks (although I think they stretched out by now and probably won’t filter anymore parasites).

I haven’t lost a fish yet, but my tangs get ich and drop it off, then get reinfected a few weeks later. And the cycle continues. Right now it looks like one of my fish had a reaction from flukes and I see another fish scratching against rocks.

Quarantine is not possible because I have around 30 fish (most small but some are quite large). There’s no way to tear down the tank and have multiple setups of quarantine. I really can’t afford to waste 76 days of babysitting these fish. I know I will have a massive die off from ammonia or reduced appetite from meds. It happened before when I tried to quarantine.

So it seems I’m stuck on management. I cannot remove any fish for dips or treatments without tearing down the tank. Should I run a diatom filter? What are my best options for parasite management? I don’t have Velvet because my fish would have died already. I’m thinking ich, flukes. Fish poops are not white nor stringy which rules out worms.
This is an excellent question. I'm sure many are in the same boat and will be following.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have corals and inverts. Then all you have is management if you are unwilling to fallow and qt. Good luck.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich management is all about keeping fish healthy. Ich in my opinion is just like seasonal flu. It rarely cause real big issue by itself among a healthy group of fish. Stress is usually the trigger for the bigger outbreak as in compromise fish's immune system. So to increase chance of success is to decrease the chance of stress. I don't know how heavy is the stocking with 30 fish in 250 gallon tank. Observe and make your own judgement. If fish are continuous fighting for territory, maybe your solution need to be reduce stocking. Keep the community peaceful is the best in tank treatment you can do.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back