How can I lower calcium while dosing All For Reef?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using All For Reef for 9 months now in my 100g mixed reef and overall it's going great. However I do regular ICP tests and I've noticed my calcium has been steadily rising. I started off in the 440ish zone but my latest ICP shows 525. I've also been struggling with alkalinity dropping and I'm thinking my cal/alk ratio is just too far out of whack.

Is there any other option besides large water changes to bring my calcium down?

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any other option besides large water changes to bring my calcium down?
Yes, this is very easy: Raising alkalinity, for example by using Tropic Marin Original Balling Components Part B. Higher alkalinity increases aragonite saturation and precipitation of calcium.

I recommend to do every change slowly and careful and not to exceed 8 dKH alkalinity. What is the alkalinity in your tank at the moment?

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Hans, thanks for the swift reply! My current alkalinity is 8.1 dKH. Out of curiosity, is there a reason you prefer not to exceed 8?

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had the same issue. My solution was to lower the dosing amount of AFR (still want the trace elements) and add Alk dosing. Specifically I went with brightwell 8.3 but I'm sure other products would work

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also having the same issue recently. I immediately noticed it after finishing a bottle and started using a new one.
Not sure what would cause the sudden change, but I am using other methods in addition to afr to address the issue.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am also having the same issue recently. I immediately noticed it after finishing a bottle and started using a new one.
Not sure what would cause the sudden change, but I am using other methods in addition to afr to address the issue.
For me it was corals growing. Like a noticeable growth... alk being used up super fast and my dosing couldn't keep up. Went from 8 dkh to 5 in a few days with dosing.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you using the TM AFR bottle over the counter pre made or are you using the DIY or powder and mixing on your own? Maybe a measurement mistake and too much of one component?

Not sure if there are any other changes you have made to the display. Just a thought. I know when I see a odd spike that is what I start to think about.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the TM AFR bottle over the counter pre made or are you using the DIY or powder and mixing on your own? Maybe a measurement mistake and too much of one component?

Not sure if there are any other changes you have made to the display. Just a thought. I know when I see a odd spike that is what I start to think about.
Nope just using the TM AFR in bottles

1651239333932.png

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And just to share all the facts, I'm using the powder that you mix up with RO.

1651241266987.png

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, is there a reason you prefer not to exceed 8?
Yes, personal experience. At low phosphate concentrations Acropora corals may look stressed at alkalinities above 8 dKH, with retracted polyps and maybe starting STN from the base.

This limit is not chiseled in stone, it may be exceeded, especially with higher phosphate concentrations.

If you are achieving your concentrations with high dosings of All-For-Reef I recommend to reduce dosing a bit and watch corals. I noticed they seem much more "relaxed" and open at lower alkalinities.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back