How can I tell if my tank has enough copepods for Mandarin?

Blake423

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a mandarin not too long ago, she were not eating frozen food, I assumed she were starve to death because I didn't see any fish picked on her and I can constantly saw her swimming around and looking for food.

My tank is 255L and has a refugium and used dry porous rock to set up.
I put a bottle of live copepods in my refugium after I set up my tank.
Fish list: a clownfish, a flame hawk, a blue tang, a bristletooth tang and a ,coral beauty. I don't think they are copepods eater.

But back then my tank is about 1-2 months old. Now it is about 4-5 months old now.
I don't want to go and purchase a bottle of live copepods constantly to feed her.
Is it mature enough to house a mandarin?
How can we tell if a tank has enough copepods for a mandarin?

Thanks

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seed your tank with Pods and feed phyto for about 3mos.... then and only then try another mandarin

Horse goes in front of cart....

OP
OP
B

Blake423

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seed your tank with Pods and feed phyto for about 3mos.... then and only then try another mandarin

Horse goes in front of cart....

That's a good idea. Just wondering if there is any visible way to confirm there is plenty of copepods in the tank?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea. Just wondering if there is any visible way to confirm there is plenty of copepods in the tank?
Skip scraping your glass until a little film algae builds on it then count the number of copepods/munnids per square inch on the glass. If they're all over the glass you have plenty.

OP
OP
B

Blake423

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip scraping your glass until a little film algae builds on it then count the number of copepods/munnids per square inch on the glass. If they're all over the glass you have plenty.
When I lost my first mandarin, there are quite a lot of white tiny dot on my glass if I don't clean my glass for 4-5 days or so...not sure if those white dots are copepods or not.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I lost my first mandarin, there are quite a lot of white tiny dot on my glass if I don't clean my glass for 4-5 days or so...not sure if those white dots are copepods or not.
Grab a cheap magnifying glass or (more expensive) a jewelers loop. Makes seeing the little buggers alot easier. You can use some of them in combination with your phone to take a close up without the fuzzyness of zooming in. Sorry for your loss, start dosing phyto and you'll speed the population growth up. I don't see the point in buying copepods I never have and I always end up with a stable population by the one year mark.

dk2nt9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a full bodied fish, needing a lot of food daily, few pods shouldn't solve the problem. The visible indicator vill be full or sunken mandarin's belly.

Before getting a fish, consider readily available backup as bottled live pods (expensive) and try to wean him to a dry food. Melev's Mandarin Diner method worked for me, with scooter dragonets in the tank, showing mandarin dragonet that this is a food. It took a lot of time for him to figure this out.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great info Posted on here ! Can't stress enough the key of phyto dosing to help get that copepod population up and running

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of passively watching a mandarin possibly starve in your tank, why not take steps towards actively feeding it.

Culturing phyto and pods isn't hard. White worms are even easier, and if nothing else, baby brine shrimps work great too.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back