How can I UNglue pvc from a sump?

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just one pvc piping going to my sump I'd like to remove. I'm moving the sump to a new tank. What solvent can I use if any that will work that I can easily get?. I can do this with no water in it, after I cut the pvc with a cutter.
TIA

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have just one pvc piping going to my sump I'd like to remove. I'm moving the sump to a new tank. What solvent can I use if any that will work that I can easily get?. I can do this with no water in it, after I cut the pvc with a cutter.
TIA
Not worth it. Best recourse it to use pvc cutters and cut at coupling and add new coupling and reglue.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not worth it. Best recourse it to use pvc cutters and cut at coupling and add new coupling and reglue.
or cut so there is a few inches of pvc coming out of sump couping (drain intake) and then put a coupling on top of that piece of piping, and connect that to new tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Add a union for future removal...
Which is what I did.

1654909304075.png

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. But I'm really pre novice when it comes to plumbing. I need very basic terms.
Would this be ok?: cut the piping going into the sump so there is a few inches of pvc left going into it? (drain intake) and then put a coupling on top of that piece of piping, and connect that to new tank? I doubt I'd change tanks again for a very long time (the first tank was a total mistake). So I wont need a union.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. But I'm really pre novice when it comes to plumbing. I need very basic terms.
Would this be ok?: cut the piping going into the sump so there is a few inches of pvc left going into it? (drain intake) and then put a coupling on top of that piece of piping, and connect that to new tank? I doubt I'd change tanks again for a very long time (the first tank was a total mistake). So I wont need a union.
Unless there is no physical room for a union, I'd still put one in rather than a direct coupling.

You just never know ...

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You say that now.... Save yourself the headache and spend the extra ~10 bucks.

Edit: you can get the thread x slip adapters for $1.17, and the union for $9.11.

The extra $11.45 is worth the future piece of mind and time savings.

Last edited:

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd also go with threaded unions like Vette showed above. This way when you eventually cut them back far enough that you can't add a coupler, you just unthread it and get a new ~2$ thread adapter vs a whole new union.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you put a union you have to glue half of it on. You would then have to cut it off because to replace the bulkhead the 1/2 of union glued on won’t fit through the hole.. Cut the pipe as long as possible for future changes, if any. You could always get a new bulkhead, which is probably what I,d do if the bulkhead has some years on it anyway

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you put a union you have to glue half of it on. You would then have to cut it off because to replace the bulkhead the 1/2 of union glued on won’t fit through the hole.. Cut the pipe as long as possible for future changes, if any. You could always get a new bulkhead, which is probably what I,d do if the bulkhead has some years on it anyway

Why you should go with the threaded ones. You save the union by unthreading, and just cut off and buy another slip x thread adapter for ~$1

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry took a while... here's a pic of it. i'm hoping with a lot of luck to have the new tank set up by end of weekend somehow. :-D TIA

Attachments

• sump.jpeg
    sump.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 44

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't unglue it if it was done properly. The glue literally heats up and melts the pvc together.
Back in the day it was said you could only use the purple or blue rain stuff but now days everyone just uses whatever.
Lol.
+1 you'll have to cut it and +1 on the threaded fittings if you wanna re use something expensive like a true union Gate or ball.
D

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A heat gun applied directly to the joint will break the bond on PVC glue to PVC. Five minutes or so should do the trick. In the absence of a heat gun, I’ve used a powerful blow dryer 2000 W or so for a little longer.
Not if it was cemented correctly. A PVC join is a molecular bond that cannot be broken.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back