How can we make our hobby more "Green"?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greenhouse. Solar. Geothermal closed loops for water as well as air temp control.

Education, planting the seed for the future:

Currently doing sustainable aquaculture co-op with pharmaceutical development, Sinularia.

20210424_164254~4.jpg
FB_IMG_1559268619680~2.jpg
This last picture is hilarious, the girl in the back on the right is just so unimpressed by the boy in the front on the right.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You covered a lot of things. Not sure I agree with all of them (because I wouldn't ever be so compulsive) - but you get an A++ for ideas.

1. I have considered a small solar panel to help with electricity.
2. Minimize use of equipment , tests, i.e. purchase what you need (I think we overdo automation, testing, etc.
3. Use energy efficient equipment
4. Reef responsibly - such that there aren't fish deaths, coral needing replacement every month, etc.

Someone mentioned using salt-water to kill weeds. In some locations, its against the law to empty saltwater anywhere near a storm sewer (or where rain could rinse it into a storm sewer).

Thanks to the OP for an interesting discussion

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stop buying wild caught fish and coral as much as possible. Stop using filter floss (I think its polyester and I don't believe that actually degrades much), boohoo you have to rinse a filter pad or sock lol. Find alternatives to water changes.
Filter socks (at least the one's I have used) - contain plastic, also require replacement at times. Filter floss - on the other hand - can be rinsed and re-used - and you don't need that much. But - this made me think of another way to 'save' - stop washing filter socks in the washing machine. They just need to be rinsed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back