How can we (R2R & YOU) help each other more in 2021? HELP ME, HELP YOU!

Can R2R improve in ways to help make reefing easier for you?

• Yes (please tell us how in the thread)

Votes: 73 38.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 92 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 21 11.1%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand where you're coming from, but a 'dislike' button would get abused by some, and would sour this friendly, open forum.

yeah, I understand this concern as well. I think it comes down to culture. This forum is moderated better than Reddit (which gets very toxic) and there is already and engrained culture here. It’s doesn’t have to be “dislike” but a thoughtful way for folks to show there may be something up with a comment without quoting it and calling it out directly.

karees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll make my suggestion for improvement first, then save the praises for the general functioning of the site second.

There are some people who contribute to this site who are very knowledgeable and respected in their field of expertise. I wish there were someway you could identify those people. The rest of us just have opinions. These opinions are helpful but carry the weight of an amateur evaluation. Tell us who the experts are. Thank you.

This is one of the most respectful discussion sites I have found.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll make my suggestion for improvement first, then save the praises for the general functioning of the site second.

There are some people who contribute to this site who are very knowledgeable and respected in their field of expertise. I wish there were someway you could identify those people. The rest of us just have opinions. These opinions are helpful but carry the weight of an amateur evaluation. Tell us who the experts are. Thank you.

The R2R experts have a green ‘expert contributer’ badge :)

karees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a folder somewhere that I can access only green expert badges and scan their contributions without having to look at all the others?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a change to the TOS that’s not so...Puritanical, about gender identity and sexual orientation.

“Discussion of gender identity and sexual orientation are prohibited.”

Rev, I know you, Daniel, and I have had a conversation about this, and your reasoning behind it (attempting to not cause harm to the queer community via homophobic bullying, members asking insensitive questions, or talking about issues that younger reefers may not understand [their words not mine]), is well intentioned. But I still don’t think this is the best phrasing. Like, yes, I understand from our private conversation that I’m allowed to say “shhh, don’t tell my boyfriend he shouldn’t know about the $$$ fish I just bought” like some straight members say when they post, but this doesn’t come through in the TOS. The verbiage is just...off to me. It feels very stifling, as if to say “you are not allowed to mention you are not cisgender and/or not straight”.

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we give a 1 to 5 rating for the emergency tag? I know we are all passionate but some of the “emergency” posts aren’t true emergencies... fish dying absolutely an emergency and help is needed right away maybe give it a 5. Lights won’t turn on, not so much of an emergency and might be a 1! I try to visit every emergency post I see if nothing else to learn something useful but sometimes I feel betrayed! Other than that we’re right as rain!

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several functionalities for the forum:
  1. Show only posts from OP in a thread.
  2. Allow OP (or other admin, or people granted permission), to bookmark important posts on a thread, and generate table of content from them. Could also generated from votes.
These is to solve the problem that valuable threads are usually too long (several hundreds of posts) that it's difficult to extract information and conclusions out. Examples are the dino thread and the carnation coral thread. These are really the gems this forum produce. But it's a shame that it's so difficult to consume, especially when people landing on them from searching for particular answers.

The other perspective is content generation. I think R2R should invest more into articles. There are many highly recognized leaders/pioneers/educators here. R2R should commission them to write articles focusing on general topics, like common reefing methods, lights, filtration, flows, algae, specific coral care, disease, etc. Or reviews of categories of gears. These articles will also need to be revised/updated regularly. Maybe like topic of the month and rotate throughout the years. We collectively generated lots of content and knowledge here. Now we should put more focus on summarizing the learning so that everyone can benefit from them.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a newbie I think this is a great, well organized, and friendly site with a lot of helpful information. Here are some things that I have observed recently that could be improved upon.
  1. The search function seems a little clunky. I often type in a word phrase and find my results include the words being used individually.
  2. The general cleanup of threads. Example: selling threads should be posted as sold and/or closed, and/or removed if inactive or complete. Example: if the OP has received enough info they could close the thread; I often see responses to threads years after the fact, ok for a “great tank“ comment in a build thread not so much for “help, doser not working” thread.
  3. Sticky threads should remain as instructions or guidelines on a particular forum and no additional posting should be allowed to it. Example: Last night I was looking at the sticky for “Need help with your aquascape” thinking it was helpful hints etc. There were a bunch of folks who were actually looking for help and their threads were unanswered since most folks post their aquascape questions directly in the main Aquascape discussion area. Doesn’t sound like a big deal but look at page 76. I answered 4 individual posts last night and that created additional responses, now the page is losing its organization because instead of progression on a single OP thread you now have commingled progression of multiple OPs in single thread. The person asking for help is also not recognized as the OP because they didn’t originate the original sticky.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest making the SEARCH feature more pronounced or something. Make it a requirement before posting a new thread. Its like no one uses it here, all the repeat posts covering the same topics is crazy to me.

I understand where you're coming from, but a 'dislike' button would get abused by some, and would sour this friendly, open forum.
Yep, a "dislike" button would likely get abused but so does the "like" button. Some people like every comment made, haha, Doesnt mean it should not be an option. Also, its my opinion that for a forum to be truly open having the ability to "dislike" something is a part of that.

Its also my opinion that often times the community here is "nice" when instead they should be "loving". There is a big difference.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One suggestion would be someway to save a posting to refer back to, like a bookmark or catalog of topics just for me. There may be a way to do this that I am not aware of. But so many times, I am manually having to copy or write down great suggestions or things to know for future reference.
probably you mean that:

Simply bookmark the threads or the posts you want to see again or to reread ?

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this we have had for years? :p

Start creating your own albums!
Rev, I think there is missing one of the options or I just don't see it, it's function of the media (the plugin) to can show you all of the photos you already post in the threads (all what you upload already).
I wish I had a store for my old pictures I have uploaded. Other sites do this, like a picture library. I find myself searching my old posts to try to find a picture I know I have posted before. And sometimes I give up, and just upload it again, wasting disk space for the site.
I think what @Vette67 and @sfin52 is talking about isn't exactly that sort of media, because there, like I say you 1st have to create the albums and to upload the photos/media, after to go to the thread you want to post images/media and to select what you want to show in the post/thread.
I'm not completely sure which plugin is used for the forum to manage the media, but can you check isn't there the option (the checkbox) to allow us to see what we already upload for the posts ?
When I go in the "media" I don't see anything what I already upload, even using the filters.

I'm talking like you have the options to see "My Threads" or "My Posts", isn't there option to see and "my uploads" ?

Screenshot at Dec 16 11-58-03.png

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be careful about making changes to the forum. Having participated in other forums, I have found R2R to be a model of civility and as a result is an enjoyable space in my day. People tend to share their experience rather than pronounce the TRUTH. Unless a change reduces a moderator's work load I would shy away from implementing it. Keep it simple. :cool:

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents make it so that your new post doesn’t get buried with Post most recently commented on. Like ones with 4 views getting pushed down the list by ones with 200 pages of comments. If they could be in 2 different columns or sections so some ones post that needs to be viewed more to get a good answer or opinion get a better shot of being seen bye those who can help would be cool. Also maybe video on how To use the site to get the most out of it. Thanks for reading and hope everyone has a great holiday! Merry Christmas!
I think that will be very hard to be done properly, because who you think is going to get the decision which post/thread worth it more than another one? Everyone think his own is more worth it, so that Can't get it how can be achieved.

In addition to the "Like" button, I wish there was a "Dislike" option as well. Or someway to indicate there is something wrong with the comment. While most of the advice is sound and people are helpful, I have run into folks who post some questionable advice that is in direct conflict with solid advice also posted. A "Dislike" button would allow for uses to help OP make a determination which comment is generally seen a the more favorable one.

You have in the "like options" 3 emoticons which show disappoint or "dislike" , and the other thing, there are some haters, some people announce some users and dislike another users by them own reasons. At the end of the day it will come similar to the REDDIT I think.

The one forum I'm a member of when you're creating a title for a thread you're about to post, a drop down list of similar threads pops up that may answer your question negating you having to post another duplicate thread.

I would also advise having more stickies of commonly asked questions that we can direct people to.

Also at the bottom on the forum you can see "similar threads", also you (everyone always can use the "search" menu before post a question. and not at least Google have one VERY USEFUL OPTION: open Google search bar and type: " site: reef2reef.com ******* ****** ***** ", the " ******* ****** ***** " is the phrase word you are interested to find, if you search something like EXACT phrase, you can put it in " "quotes" " , that way you will search by EXACT what's in them
On few of the forums you have that "stickies" but there is so much valuable information, who at the end of the day can decide all of them which one worth and which don't ?

yeah, I understand this concern as well. I think it comes down to culture. This forum is moderated better than Reddit (which gets very toxic) and there is already and engrained culture here. It’s doesn’t have to be “dislike” but a thoughtful way for folks to show there may be something up with a comment without quoting it and calling it out directly.

Always you can use the "report" option Screenshot at Dec 16 12-43-47.png
I think that will be enough.

If you look on the badges you can find who to listen for example, it's always up to the person what decision will do, who will listen and who not. Have on mind and the Experts can make mistakes sometimes (please Experts, don't get annoyed)
Screenshot at Dec 16 12-52-01.png

The R2R experts have a green ‘expert contributer’ badge :)
^^^
I suggest making the SEARCH feature more pronounced or something. Make it a requirement before posting a new thread. Its like no one uses it here, all the repeat posts covering the same topics is crazy to me.

Yep, a "dislike" button would likely get abused but so does the "like" button. Some people like every comment made, haha, Doesnt mean it should not be an option. Also, its my opinion that for a forum to be truly open having the ability to "dislike" something is a part of that.

Its also my opinion that often times the community here is "nice" when instead they should be "loving". There is a big difference.
^^^

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be careful about making changes to the forum. Having participated in other forums, I have found R2R to be a model of civility and as a result is an enjoyable space in my day. People tend to share their experience rather than pronounce the TRUTH. Unless a change reduces a moderator's work load I would shy away from implementing it. Keep it simple. :cool:
I like that, honestly to say, 3+ years ago, before I start with the reefing at all (after ages in the FW), I'm spending over 5 hrs per day in the forum, reading and reading, learning and ..... I have accounts in most of the "popular" forums, but probably since 2 years ago I stop looking them at all. In very rear cases I can find still good enough info to read, most of the good reefers are here, so I stick and love all what's here ;)
But about the changes..., can agree with you, but everything is updating, improving, progressing and the R2R have to ;) Because of that I think Rev is opening threads like this ;Smug , to can improve and upgrade it with the this days tendencies .

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You do have the ability to 'dislike' anyone's comments without tagging it with a button. Just state why you disagree like you did with my comment ;) If you want this community to be loving instead of nice then why advocate for a dislike button?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok here is an Idea...
not exactly about the site but using R2R popularity and collective reefers to do group buys!

think about it how many reefers are part of R2R lets use the power to benefit us all.

every month ( or more) we could have a different group buy where R2R members get wholesale or below pricing. would be great for vendors looking to move inventory or market that new released "thingy mickjig"
could be everything from salt to food to gear.

I guess what I am saying I think we, as R2R and reefers should capitalize on the collective group and use that as buying power. could be a win win for everybody.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "no". If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This is my go-to reefing forum. I only read one thread on that "other site", unless I come across something in a google search. My only complaint is the same for any technical forum. Outdated info, but it would be impossible to keep track of all that.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably you mean that:

Simply bookmark the threads or the posts you want to see again or to reread ?
Yes, I will give this a try. A catalog would be even better because you could save items by topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back