How can you add rock to an existing aquascape in your display tank?

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pretty large acro that came attached to a rock, along with a nice sponge growing above it. I'd like to attach it as-is, to an existing structure in my aquascape. But with the way I want to mount it, it isn't balanced enough for superglue gel to hold. At least I've been unable to get it to stay. Is there some type of mortar or cement that would do the job, that would have adequate holding power if I applied it and held onto the rock for a few minutes? Or any other suggestions for this type of problem?

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock I want to glue is maybe 5 inches long and 2 inches wide, and I want to adhere it such that most of it is hanging in space. Plus the coral extends even further out. So it would be pretty unbalanced.

Here’s a picture:
C7C657D2-E427-43CE-AAF2-56AD49D0A5A5.jpeg

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends on how big the rock is, there is this super great putty i use might work

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Think 2 part epoxy is the best bet. I think it's best to use super glue first then epoxy around it, but given the constraints epoxy may have to be enough on it's own (I have had many difficulties using superglue underwater and that was just on light weight frags. . . can't imagine a whole rock. . . maybe that's just me).

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think 2 part epoxy is the best bet. I think it's best to use super glue first then epoxy around it, but given the constraints epoxy may have to be enough on it's own (I have had many difficulties using superglue underwater and that was just on light weight frags. . . can't imagine a whole rock. . . maybe that's just me).
I hate glue.. It just hardens the minute it touches water, and then it clogs up in the tube. God awful stuff.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there’s some new glue stuff out there called seatak looks pretty promising

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could just get some jb Waterweld, and put a big ball on the bottom of the rock, anywhere you think it might touch and then douse those balls in superglue and then smash it in to place

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back