How come more people don’t feed fish plankton foods (not phyto)?

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see a lot of people doing DIY foods, feeding premium brand” frozen foods, etc; however, it seems that oftentimes shrimps and holoplankton foods are a tiny component . Some of the largest components I have seen of diy/premium frozen mixes are typically:scallops, large shrimps (brown,white,pink, etc),whitefish, clams/oysters, and squid. I’m not certain how frequently most of our common fish in aquariums eat these I’m the wild (obviously some do).

Questions I’ve been pondering, would love any insights or feedback on these:

Is there a reason we aren’t feeding lower on the food chain?

Is there a nutrition reason holoplankton aren’t the major components of what we feed? (Calanus, copepods, krill, etc.)

Would there be a downside to having the biggest daily feed components being a variety of:
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
Calanus finmarchicus
Euphausia pacifica
ROE
Dried seaweed

(and supplementing with occasional LRS frenzy, some pellets)

Also considering potentiallyadding in
Tigger feast
Pacpods
Arctipods

I haven’t crunched the cost numbers yet, but wanting info before I go through the work of doing that.

Last edited:

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some do...there are dried pod products available to add to your DIY mixture. I add coral food to mine which is composed of smaller organisms (although perhaps not those specific species).

If you're talking live pods for special needs fish (mandarin or sand sift gobies for example), that's a whole different discussion.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back