How come most people say reef tanks are expensive to maintain? For me it's not

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often see those freshwater/new aquarists folks complain they won't do salt because it's costly to maintain.

Ok I don't deny that the initial cost is high, but once you get your tank established, the upkeep is not that expensive in my opinion. In my case I have a 75gal mixed reef and the cost to maintain it is equal (sometimes even less) than my low tech planted tank. I do water change once a month and feed the fish daily, plus the electricity bill, but overall it's no more than $15 a month. Yes I did add my own "labor fee" for cutting those kenya trees every once in a while. Hell, my "labor fee" to trim those plants in my planted tank is way more than that.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often see those freshwater/new aquarists folks complain they won't do salt because it's costly to maintain.

Ok I don't deny that the initial cost is high, but once you get your tank established, the upkeep is not that expensive in my opinion. In my case I have a 75gal mixed reef and the cost to maintain it is equal (sometimes even less) than my low tech planted tank. I do water change once a month and feed the fish daily, plus the electricity bill, but overall it's no more than $15 a month. Yes I did add my own "labor fee" for cutting those kenya trees every once in a while. Hell, my "labor fee" to trim those plants in my planted tank is way more than that.
Did you add electricity too? XD

But nah yeah compared to a planted tank, probably not that much worse.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like all hobbies, it can be as expensive or inexpensive as you want it to be.
That's also true. I don't dose or anything like that, don't see a reason to. Fish eats pellets and enjoy it.

No need for any sort of algae removal or whatever.

My main expenditure is salt, food, electricity.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's also true. I don't dose or anything like that, don't see a reason to. Fish eats pellets and enjoy it.

No need for any sort of algae removal or whatever.

My main expenditure is salt, food, electricity.

Depending on the tank and goals that may be enough. I would say that is not the normal though. Dosing and testing alone are consumables that are my biggest recurring cost other than probably electricity(which in my case i wish was only your $15)

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the tank and goals that may be enough. I would say that is not the normal though. Dosing and testing alone are consumables that are my biggest recurring cost other than probably electricity(which in my case i wish was only your $15)
Yeah for sure. I think I am one of the rare cases that just let algae grow wildly in my tank. XD I mean at the end of the day it's for my clownfish, so whatever that does not bother them I don't care ahahahaha.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Many :
Procrastinate
Hear horror stories
Go to wrong LFS (with a high markup)
Believe you need to be a chemist to succeed
Are comparing costs. . Salt VS Freshwater

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have a tank that is all leathers, maybe some zoos and shrooms, it can be a low cost hobby, when it comes to consumables. I've kept tanks like that for very cheap, cost of RODI maintenance and Salt. Now I have a 120 and frag tanks, full of growing SPS / LPS, that take up well over 100ml of alk / calcium / day, plus the trace, Aminos, water changes, upkeep of the extra reefkeeping devices, electricity, testing. It can easily reach $1000 / year, with no upgrades. With that said, I've heard having a dog or cat can cost as much or even more. It's been awhile since I've had any other pets.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back