How come we don’t see many Amblyeoteorsis (?) sp. Gobies?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we see shrimp gobies, usually it’s always the Yellow Watchman or the Pink Spotted. Cryptocentrus spp. seem to be a lot more common than other genuses like Strongobiops, Amblyeoteorsis sp. etc. Is there a particular reason for the relative lack of popularity of these other two genuses compared to the YWG and its similar congeners?

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like several are quite common and are kept with some frequency. i've seen quite a few yashas and hi fins in people's tanks.

i'd guess price and ORA breeds yellow watchman gobies which probably helps quite a bit

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been seeing a lot of Amblyeleotris for sale on LiveAquaria recently. But I think part of it might be due to lack of appeal. I'm actually a super big fan of A. randalli and S. nematodes. But S. nematodes is a very very small fish, and S. yasha has a tendency to outcompete it in the looks department. Similarly, when I look at my books on Amblyeleotris fish, the only one that pops for me is A. randalli, due to the spectacular dorsal fin and striping. But a predominantly white fish with various amounts of spotting isn't exactly as appealing as a yellow fish with star spangle dots on it.

Interestingly...I think there's only been one instance of successful (60 DPS) breeding of S. nematodes and that was in Europe. Cryptocentrus has documented breeding behavior so it's easy to distribute it more if you can up the quantity of fish entering the hobby by breeding them. I can't seem to find any of the Amblyeleotris gobies on captive breeding lists so far either.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back