How critical is acclimation of SPS?

Gtank171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious,

I am attempting a mixed reef, which as softies and LPS has been pretty successful for them most part. Having said that, I recently in the last couple months have attempted a couple sticks.

They initially grew well, one even branched off, but over time, browned and bleached. While everything else, is still great, still colors up nicely, still has great extension.

But I cannot figure out why my SPS do this. I test every week, numbers stay consistent. P04 .04, N03 tests around 6. Both on Hanna. Cal 440, dKH 8, Mag 1350 - Red Sea. Salinity 1.025, pH 8.1.

Numbers aren't anything alarming to me. I use a G5 XR15 with Zaxby's schedule at 60%.

What else should I be looking at? I'm baffled with this. I was wondering if my acclimation method is damaging them?
For what it's worth, I don't acclimate acroporas; just no reason to do so in my opinion unless the alkalinity differs considerably between the two systems they were transferred to/from. From your description of the corals browning out and then dying (not bleaching, which would indicate still alive but less/no color), lack of light intensity would be one area to check. With that said, acroporas can adapt to and live in relatively low light (with poor coloration) so something else is likely the reason they're dying. I consider myself an above average reefer with it comes to acros and I wasn't able to keep them in my second tank at 6 months when test results were in the desired range.
I’ve watched Coral Euphoria videos. He talks about this issue.
I have a 40 Nuvo tank. Started adding sps corals to my tank this month. I have an order of Battle Corals coming. Have you checked the source water quality? RO membranes, DI resin and filter.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect that your problem stems from unstable conditions/not enough biodiversity in a relatively new tank. If it was started with proper live rock you would most likely have been fine but dead rock takes a lot longer.

The only acclimatization I do for corals is float for temperature, dip and place them at their final spot. Never lost anything doing that.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you are doing everything you can. I’m in the same boat with some SPS about to go into my IM Nuvo 40.

I too have MP10s and run them reef crest antisync mode but at 80-90% during the day. Turn up your flow if you think you can.

I think the dogma of ‘waiting for biodiversity’ after using dry real read rock to start is misleading. I added Oceanmagik and a plethora of pods to my tank to help. Also as many bacteria bottles as I could find (just small doses - with emphasis on creating more bacterial variety).

Keep us posted on how things go as it sounds like you are one for the details .

OP
OP
R

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems like you are doing everything you can. I’m in the same boat with some SPS about to go into my IM Nuvo 40.

I too have MP10s and run them reef crest antisync mode but at 80-90% during the day. Turn up your flow if you think you can.

I think the dogma of ‘waiting for biodiversity’ after using dry real read rock to start is misleading. I added Oceanmagik and a plethora of pods to my tank to help. Also as many bacteria bottles as I could find (just small doses - with emphasis on creating more bacterial variety).

Keep us posted on how things go as it sounds like you are one for the details .

I appreciate that, thank you.

I'm going to rent a PAR meter this week from BRS probably. It's like -17 today. I'd rather stay home. Lol.

I guess I never considered the biodiversity in the tank as an issue. I focused more on the numbers, and they were good. I guess that was something I overlooked. Perhaps a little old school from back years ago before jumping back into the hobby when the goal was always 0's.. Lol. Hobby has changed a lot since then. =)

Thank you everyone.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never acclimate acros, just drop them right in the tank after removing from the frag plug and dipping. I can't say I've ever had something die as a result of this. If it was your acclimation method they'd be dying pretty much immediately IMO.
Same, i used to acclimate but now I just plop them into QT. But yeah, inspection for pests is crucial. Browning out can be due to many factors but most commonly water params imbalance (high nitrate for example), low light and AEFW (your worst nightmare). Acro Eating Flatworms (AEFW) watch out for them.

Also in my experience frags that are already unhealthy (be it due to stress or pests) have a high chance of mortality and not recovering despite how ideal your tank conditions might be.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back